Status
Not open for further replies.

ManniGfaltig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Germany
Wait a moment - do we talk about the left or the middle button now? My 686 has the same button head as the middle button just another locking ring. The left button might be a Sotong button (given that it does not sit on a Rev. 1 but on a SS GGTS...). But otello owns a few mod, so he probably played around with their buttons?

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Here is the original rev1 and the button

IMG_9718.jpg

Runju

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Norway
Maybe it was stupid by me to open a new thread for GG-buttons, and i don't want to be a party-killer, but the last 18 months i have been searching and read old threads trying to find answers about GG-details. One of the problem has been that name of threads very often don't match with the posts inside it. And thinking that there will be more like me in time to come, i wish we could keep specific topics in places that seems like a good place to start looking :) But if we continue here ´and it may be a good place - maybe Imeo can delete the GG-button thread :toast:

Otello

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Roma - Italy
www.facebook.com
OK guys, we are making a little of confusion. ;)

I posted 2 photos, one with 5 mounted buttons and one with 3 spare buttons, only the flat head button is present in both photos. OK?

Actually the flat head button is not installed on a SS GGYS, but a 2012 Alu., I got this button in a bunch of spares together with Alu #19, which came equipped with the "fat" head button: it's the second from left in the 5 buttons photo.

I'm not sure I understand what is the button with concave surface.

Last edited:

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
The concave button is the middle one in Steve's picture.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

If that button in the middle (in the picture with the 3 buttons) has an aluminum lock ring it is a Sotong button. I once bought one thinking it's an original and when it came in and I saw it I sent it back to the guy and got my money back. BTW he also bought it from someone else as an original.
Sotong has really damaged the GG market with is copy parts. He's made a ton of extension tubes, buttons and bottom vent caps as well as other parts

ManniGfaltig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Germany
If that button in the middle (in the picture with the 3 buttons) has an aluminum lock ring it is a Sotong button. I once bought one thinking it's an original and when it came in and I saw it I sent it back to the guy and got my money back. BTW he also bought it from someone else as an original.
Sotong has really damaged the GG market with is copy parts. He's made a ton of extension tubes, buttons and bottom vent caps as well as other parts

Oh my god... This thread is scary! I bought two buttons that look identically from Vassili in 2012 I guess. Didn't know that these were also copied :eek:
What I know from Sotong is that he made these Rev. 1 styled buttons (legt in your picture). But there are other guys doing parts for GG also.
Conclusion: Let's collect photos - maybe wie can find differences and hell people to find out if they bought original or cloned parts!

P.S. The buttons I bought Form Vassili had a SS lockring

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Yes I agree Manni. The original had an ss lock ring but the clones have an aluminum lock ring. The cloned part problem is a big one and many people have got duped. I do know a few others along with Sotong who made and probably still make clone parts. Some of them are very close resemblance but they're not originals and sadly are sold as originals at much inflated prices.
I know of a GGTS half SS half brass that was sold for $1200 last year and it had a cloned upper extension, telescope, button and bottom venting cap. What was really sad is that the guy who paid $1200 to get it was thinking he bought an original GGTS.
That's why we encourage everyone to buy GG stuff only from accredited suppliers or if they want to buy used make sure you know the seller and can verify that the GG is genuine

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
this is a list of stuff Sotong made recently and is selling

This is scheduled to be the last run for the following SS/Brass parts:
- SS control ring (smooth) for GGTS
- Brass control ring (smooth) for GGTS
- Brass firing pin set for GGTS
- Brass collection tank
- Brass connector
- Brass AT button (inc brass locking ring)
- Brass Ody Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread