The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ggts

Discussion in 'The GG' started by LongDraw, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. LongDraw

LongDraw Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    So, I just picked up a GGTS, from the most recent batch, on the classies. This will be my first mechanical device. Was wondering if people had any hints, tips, tricks, or videos I should read or watch.

Already searched online and watched a few videos, wondering if there is anything else that would be good for me to do.

Also, anywhere I can get magnets for the button? Seems like that would be a nice upgrade and not have to worry about springs or replacing them for the button at least.

As always, much appreciated.

2. thedudeabides

thedudeabides Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2010
    Boston
    1) Keep the threads clean. If you notice a drop in performance, clean the threads.
    2) Apply a little vaseline to threads after cleaning them, a little bit goes a long way.

I haven't seen magnets available for awhile, but I'll give you my 2 cents regards them. I've had them in different GGTSes going back to V1 and I prefer the spring. The magnets work, but the resistance just isn't the same as a spring, way too light. Some people may prefer the lightness, but I prefer a bit of resistance, just feels more solid. That being said, I've never had to replace a spring in a button, and if I ever needed to, it would take me maybe 5 mins.

3. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Much appreciated. With the vaseline, would noalox be better? I have both here already so just want to see what would be best performance wise.

Appreciate the info on the magnets, wasn't sure how long springs lasted. Hopefully some more come up on clouds of vapor and I can get a few for back ups for both the button and battery.

Should be here early in the week, figure will do a tear down and complete cleaning.

4. Keeno

Keeno Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Indiana
    It's pretty clean as it arrives to your door LongDraw but it's always a relaxing endeavor when I choose to break down my GG's and clean them.....enjoy.

5. thedudeabides

thedudeabides Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2010
    Boston
    I'd stay away from Noalax, used it for awhile on my V1 and it gunked up very quickly and it really gets in your threads. Vaseline works just fine, it's not there to provide any additional conductivity, just lube to protect against the threads potentially binding.

6. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Thanks Keeno. Thats what I think to, whenever I'm cleaning my ecig stuff just kinda relaxing. Actually this weekend cleaned the contacts of all my provaris and cleaned threadings on one with fresh noalex after.

7. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Awesome thanks.

8. c8h10n4o2x2

c8h10n4o2x2 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 20, 2012
    NW Florida
  9. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Very much appreciated. May give it a go, see if I can order a small amount and what the shipping is.

Thanks again.

10. c8h10n4o2x2

c8h10n4o2x2 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 20, 2012
    NW Florida
    Long I think I ordered 100, just due to fault tolerances, and the shipping was as much as my order.

11. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Yeah took a look on the site. The ggts should be here tomorrow, gonna try it out first then maybe order some.

Have a ton of questions but trying to hold off until I at least I get to use it first. Been watching a lot of videos and look at cov and esmoke at just what additional parts there are when they are in stock.

12. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Anybody have any thoughts on why it may misfire? Push the buttons and sometimes it takes a few seconds before it fires, and other times it just doesn't fire.

Have tried 18650, 18490, and 18350 happens with all of them. I have checked an the button makes contact with the brass piece inside. The ggts is clean, I wiped it down some as well (gonna do a deep clean later this week, think I will use an ultrasonic like I saw a video from bishop.)

13. Darkreign

Darkreign Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Clean all the threads really well, take the button apart as well as your axis post spring and clean them really well with toothpaste and a toothbrush (inside and out). Sounds like what happens to mine after a few weeks of hard use. Just think of it as tuning up your classic sports car. Runs great, but sometimes needs a little TLC.

14. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    I"M LEARNING!!!

Took apart the switch, cleaned it up a little and now firing every time. Just can't figure out how to completely disassemble the entire switch. Not sure how the button comes out.

Gonna keep playing, once figure out how to take it all a part give a deep cleaning and then use the vasoline as someone else suggested for threads.

15. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Thanks Dark, any vids on how to fully disassemble the switch. Took it apart what I could and cleaned with a toothbrush, firing each time now.

Looking for a good close up of fully disassembling switch, etc. so I can give a deep clean. Saw bishops cleaning with a ultrasonic cleaner, think I will do it that way. Just want to find something soft to put on the bottom of the metal basket.

16. Darkreign

Here is a video on how to upgrade your switch to magnets. GG TS Magnetic Switch installation - YouTube It shows the dis-assembly clearly so just reverse the order to assemble.

Here is a link to the magnets if you ever decide to change from the spring. http://www.gaussboys.com/store/index.php/magnet-shapes/rings/r0602.html

And I use a piece of nylon screen (like for a screen door) cut to the shape of my ultrasonic basket. Works well and I don't have to worry about scratches.

I usually use the ultrasonic first, then toothpaste after that.

17. jjkanto

jjkanto Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 26, 2013
    Patterson, CA
    I think I am going to use the conventional spring for a little while before I switch to the magnets. That way I can better distinguish the difference!

18. Darkreign

I absolutely agree JJ. I actually have two GGTS' and I have one with a spring and the other with magnets. I think they both have their place. Spring goes out and about and magnets stay at my desk. For me, the spring offers more resistance so less chance of accidental firing if I have it in the cup holder of my truck (I need to get around to making a dedicated mount for it but I just haven't had the time...) Whereas the magnet GGTS stands upright on my desk so I don't have that fear.

19. jjkanto

jjkanto Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 26, 2013
    Patterson, CA
    I ordered a desk stand mod holder from a guy in Kentucky who also makes a holder that fits in your cup holder! He can modify them to accommodate mods with side-fire button mods like GG's! I will pm you the email address Darkreign. Should work well for you!

20. LongDraw

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    Dark,

Thanks, saved both links. Really helped seeing it.

Wondering, do dripping atomizers have to be unsealed? Found a good price on some, but they are sealed on the bottom.

Also, any have preferences for commercial drippers? Really like the idea of the collection tank. And is it better fit with short or long barrel drippers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.