Going to btm feed, desperate for some help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
I'm a chain vaper, have a REO Grand and love it...actually between DH and I we have 7 REO's. I really don't know the first thing about the other bottom feeders because the REO is just perfect for me. It's been through my side through thick and thin, and I won't even consider another bottom feeder.

Occasionally I check out other systems, but nothing, and I mean nothing has swayed me away from my REO's.

That said- I only vape one juice, and use Boge 2 ohm carts. I keep it simple. vaping is a nice hobby, but it's mainly a way to feed my extreme nicotine addiction, and the REO does that perfectly.

Last edited:

Hman2012

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
bloomington MN
What have you been vaping with now?

a mini? an ego? a twist? what type of "heater" -- atty, carto, etc.

It would be easier to make suggestions with that data......and maybe help curb the "oh my g, there is too much info here" syndrome.

The lower the ohm rating (1.5, 2.0, 2.5 etc) the warmer/hotter the vape. All three resistances listed work fine on fixed voltage devices, like the vmod, old goat and several of the reos....and many of the bottom feeders made. People often call these 3.7 volt devices.

Since you say you are a high volume vaper, I suggest you get a device that uses 18650 sized batteries. AW has been a bit more expensive but very respected brand of battery around these parts for some time. The Panasonics listed above are gaining in popularity. Some will swear by their cheaper batteries ---Please be smart and buy from e-cig suppliers who only sell acceptable batteries for apvs. (They have chargers, too.) The Manufacturer's recommendations is a good way to start -- and not have to learn all of Battery University to get going with an APV.

And -- do learn how to get yourself verified so you can shop in the classies. It's a great place to buy or sell apv's, often at nice discounts and knowing that if you decide what you thought would be just perfect for you, isn't -- you can often get a good percentage of your investment back.

Happy Vaping.:vapor:

Good point, currently I've been using the 1000mah twists, and a USB passthrough, with a 2omh clearomizer, as well as the vial tips?? The little cones you fill and cap and insert into the battery, sadly, just not getting much satisfaction from it, I tried the direct dripping and its great, hence my leaning towards a BF.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
The next question --- do you have a setting that you like or use most often with the Twist?

If you are often dripping on your attys with the Twist set at 4.0 or under, you'll probably find getting any 3.7 BF a good choice. And, as you are seeing, there is nothing like a good atty. :) I use other gear too---the convenience And change is nice, for me.

I can't tell you which design or model will be the best for you. I might get bashed for saying this, but the biggest differences are mostly cosmetic. Each have fans -- and we vapors do love our mods and love to tell people that. :)

Well done on pursuing vaping, BTW. It sure got me to switch away from the analogs and my first BF mod really helped me in many ways make it a more enjoyable overall experience. There are learning curves -- with Every device.

Last edited:

Hman2012

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
bloomington MN
The next question --- do you have a setting that you like or use most often with the Twist?

If you are often dripping on your attys with the Twist set at 4.0 or under, you'll probably find getting any 3.7 BF a good choice. And, as you are seeing, there is nothing like a good atty. :) I use other gear too---the convenience And change is nice, for me.

I can't tell you which design or model will be the best for you. I might get bashed for saying this, but the biggest differences are mostly cosmetic. Each have fans -- and we vapors do love our mods and love to tell people that. :)

Well done on pursuing vaping, BTW. It sure got me to switch away from the analogs and my first BF mod really helped me in many ways make it a more enjoyable overall experience. There are learning curves -- with Every device.

It seems like much above 4 and it all tastes burnt, 4 different liquids 3 diff vendors, none good above 4, even swapping attys and the clearomizer. So basically stuck.at.4

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
It seems like much above 4 and it all tastes burnt, 4 different liquids 3 diff vendors, none good above 4, even swapping attys and the clearomizer. So basically stuck.at.4

With 2ohm "heaters", as tearose put it, 4v is hitting close to 8 watts. Just for a little info, 2.5ohm "heaters" at 4.5v, or even 3ohm heaters at 5v, will give you pretty much the same, but be less stressful on the battery, because of a lower amp draw.

Last edited:

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK

4.0v with 2.0 clearo puts you at about 8.00 watts which is pretty much the accepted limit for good coil life on a carto or atty. To get the same wattage (heat) on a regulated 3.7 device you will need to go with a 1.7 ohm cartomizer like the Smoktech Ressurector, which would be 8.05 watts. An attomizer at 1.5 ohm would be 9.13 watts which is a lot, but might be fine for you. It will be a bit warmer. It's technically a little too much wattage for reliable coil life, but a lot of people go with this and love it.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
No worries. There are several of us who are quite pleased at 2.0 ohms and below 4.0 volts. We might not be as vocal as some, but we are in abundance. And, sometimes I find that too scorchy. In fact, I used 2.2 - 2.5 ohms attys for a long time.

According to the ohms calculator -- 4.0 volts and 2.0 ohms is 8 watts. Hmm -- that's in the range of the surveyed sweet spot for most vapors. I like things a bit cooler.

I think you can save some $$ right now and get a "3.7 mod" with no worries. Later on after you groove into vaping more, you can learn of the other benefits of Vari Volt and Vari Watts.

I happen to like the moderately priced Vmod and I am thrilled with their current version of their hybrid atty.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
+1 on the lower wattage preference. I am with Tearose on this one. I only have 2 flavors that I come anywhere close to 8 watts with, and I vape them at about 7.05 and both are 100%vg. For most stuff I like the 5.5-6w range so a 2.4ohm on a 3.7 reg device works great for me with 90% of my juices. I really do not understand the attraction to high voltage vaping but to each their own :)

Let us know what you wind up getting and how you like it.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
LOL You liked my word "heaters?" Well, it is a descriptive word. :) My attempt to help simplify all this lingo. We've got a ton of terms to learn around these parts :) and Hman is very new to all our chatter here on ECF.

LOL I DO like that word. Way quicker than typing atty/carto/clearo...

I third the VMod... It has a huge following, and works great without leaking. The only thing that stopped me from getting one is that they don't work with rebuildable atomizers, which is all I use these days.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I really do not understand the attraction to high voltage vaping but to each their own :)

From what you wrote, I'm not sure you mean High Voltage, but maybe High Wattage. HV doesn't necessarily mean high watts. In fact, it often doesn't. There are many HV vapers who run between ~6-8 watts. Some of the first threads I remember reading on ECF discussed 4 ohm attys. There seemed to be a fairly even split of folks running 4 ohm coils either on 5v regulated mods or with stacked 3.0v batts. The stacked batts folks started out a lot warmer, but ended up in about the same watts range as their batts drained.

If, as I suspect, you meant high wattage vaping, then that's a combination of things. It isn't just the warmth. Shorter drags is one of the benefits. Being able to get plenty of vapor in a < 2 second drag is pretty nice. Flavor can be another big benefit for an experienced high wattage vaper too. Running higher watts allows (actually almost requires) people to run their attys a lot wetter. A wetter coil can mean greater flavor. In fact, if I'm running an atty around or above 9 watts, I can (and do) keep it so wet that it would be considered flooded and unable to create much if any vapor at say 6 or 7 watts. Running wetter should also (theoretically anyway) be beneficial towards the lifespan of a coil. --> that last one might be a wash between low watts and high watts depending on just *how* high the watts because the reason wetter is better is that it cools the coil, but you can get to a point where the heat is just more than the coil can do without failing.

That last thing I said might get a new thread from me some day. Overcoming the thermal mass and being liquid cooled are two dynamics that are not well understood and hardly ever discussed on the forums when talking about who runs what at whatever watts. There are a lot of variables that just don't fit in to an ohms law calculator when considering what it is we do with these devices.

Anyway, I'm probably dragging the thread off topic and it's just food for thought.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
I guess technically I did mean high wattage. I just see a lot of "I only vape LR at 6v" which is kind of both really. I understand that vaping at a higher voltage with a higher ohm nets the same as a lower voltage with lower ohm but has a benefit of being easier on the battery. That makes sense, but it's the extreme, high voltage, low ohm combination which of course is high wattage, that I wasn't really getting. Several good points there you shared there that I did not know though.

Informative as always Six, thanks again. As you said, we are kind of veering off topic here so I will cut this short.

Hman2012

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
bloomington MN
So after going over much of the informative info provided by you folks here, I went for now with the Vapage VMODXL, and hot damn, I'm diggin it, not as good as DD, but about as close as I can get, now I just need to dial in a solid menthol liquid and I'm all set. A big thank you to everyone for their imput and advice, was immeasurably helpful!!

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
So after going over much of the informative info provided by you folks here, I went for now with the Vapage VMODXL, and hot damn, I'm diggin it, not as good as DD, but about as close as I can get, now I just need to dial in a solid menthol liquid and I'm all set. A big thank you to everyone for their imput and advice, was immeasurably helpful!!

Congratulations there Hman2012 and welcome to the BF club. I think you will find that Vmod XL a great stepping stone in your vaping path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread