Goon RDA. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I picked up a Goon rda because I've seen so many people give it great reviews. I don't understand why. The clamp system on the deck is ok but the airflow is horrible. I like my Icon so much better. My Mason Gemini and my Armageddon Elite are definitely alot better but those are both 30mm RDAs. I don't understand all the love for the Goon. If you have a Goon what are your thoughts? Also if you have a Goon 1.5 how does it compare to the original Goon?

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I picked up a Goon RDA because I've seen so many people give it great reviews. I don't understand why. The clamp system on the deck is ok but the airflow is horrible. I like my Icon so much better. My Mason Gemini and my Armageddon Elite are definitely alot better but those are both 30mm RDAs. I don't understand all the love for the Goon. If you have a Goon what are your thoughts? Also if you have a Goon 1.5 how does it compare to the original Goon?

I purchased the Goon for the same reason you did, all the hype about it. I thought it was good when I got it but didn't see what all the hype was about. I had some other "ok" RDA's, then I got the Mason Advocate 27mm and I found out what a "good" RDA is like. I love the Mason line so much I got the 40mm for my HOG. Thinking about getting the 30mm for my unregulated mods. I still got the Goon every once in a while but I like wide open AF but the AF on the Goon just didn't have it. Now the Mason line has the AF I like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
What build would you recommend that will improve the crappy airflow on the Goon? I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah right. No matter what build you put in it, that won't help the airflow. You can have the best build in the world and nothing can help that air flow. I would suggest drill the AF out a bit and see what that does.

As a matter of fact that's what I'm gonna do right now lol. I'll let y'all know what that does.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Just drill the holes out with an 1/8 bit and didn't do much. I'm thinking instead of having 3 holes per side it would probably do better with just a single large hole on each side. That would be drilling it out and a little work with the file. I don't use mine now because of the AF so I have nothing to loose.

Reactions: Don29palms

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Just drill the holes out with an 1/8 bit and didn't do much. I'm thinking instead of having 3 holes per side it would probably do better with just a single large hole on each side. That would be drilling it out and a little work with the file. I don't use mine now because of the AF so I have nothing to loose.

I guess that's why they came out with the goon 1.5, they realized the 3 holes thing isn't working.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
So I drilled the holes out with a 9/64 drill bit then used the Drexel with a diamond cone tip to clean it up and get rid of the sharp edges. I have to say the AF isn't bad now but it's not an RDA you would want to put in your pocket. It is a bit large of a hole and could easily leak but this thing isn't going outside of my house anyways.

24e7f15cb5ab838b34cadb1ddc1b0bac.jpg

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
So I drilled the holes out with a 9/64 drill bit then used the Drexel with a diamond cone tip to clean it up and get rid of the sharp edges. I have to say the AF isn't bad now but it's not an RDA you would want to put in your pocket. It is a bit large of a hole and could easily leak but this thing isn't going outside of my house anyways.

Actually doesn't look too bad.

Reactions: Wheelin247

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017

Not a bad job. Almost looks like the 1.5 version now. I'm sure you know this but beware of the shrapnel. A friend got seriously injured by inhaling some shrapnel after he drilled the AF.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Not a bad job. Almost looks like the 1.5 version now. I'm sure you know this but beware of the shrapnel. A friend got seriously injured by inhaling some shrapnel after he drilled the AF.

I cleaned it out and washed it in the sink before I put it in the mech. No offense to your friend but some people just don't have common sense. Anytime I would drilled anything out I always wash it before using it.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I cleaned it out and washed it in the sink before I put it in the mech. No offense to your friend but some people just don't have common sense. Anytime I would drilled anything out I always wash it before using it.

I agree my friend was a little stupid with the way he handled it. And he payed for it.

Btw what build are you using in the goon now?

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I agree my friend was a little stupid with the way he handled it. And he payed for it.

Btw what build are you using in the goon now?

Dual 11 wrap 28g (I think and don't ask me what kind of wire it is. It's been so long since I've messed with it I don't remember) coming in at .35.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
At home I use my Mason Gemini 2 30mm (long story behind that) and it is great. I use my Elite 2 30mm on my Drone for my carry setup.

I got a Mason Advocate 27mm a while back and since I e loved it. That's u too I got my Voltrove and I'm not a big tank guy but that's my go to on the HOG V3. Then I wanted a big RDA and got the Mason 40mm. That thing is a beast along with the Voltrove. You can put massive builds in both. I had 18g Ni80 at 11 wraps on a 4mm (I don't remember the resistance and I've changed coils since then) and it was CHUCKING the clouds. A lot of cotton contact with 11 wraps of 18g on a 4mm. I'm running 22g SS on both the 40mm Mason and the Voltrove. Love these things. I had to close off the AF running dials on the Mason. I ended up getting another one so I can run quad coils with the quad AF.

Reactions: Don29palms

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I'm a cloud chaser and my Elite is more than enough. That 30mm Mask is a bottom flow so I'm anxious to get it.

I'm a cloud chaser myself and I can't stand bottom airflow RDA's. The 40mm Mason isn't a practical RDA to use on an everyday basis. Now the Voltrove is a different story. I used the 27mm Mason on an everyday basis and it was enough but you know, boys and their toys we always want something bigger and better. Since I've got the Voltrove and the HOG that is my everyday mod. I also don't have to worry about carrying it around in my pocket because I'm paralyzed and in a wheelchair so it either sets on my lap or usually I will stick in in between my thighs and that keeps it from falling off my lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread