Got Wood? Absolute-Wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Good morning everyone- (Hi Lori, doin' well)

In the last couple of days I have cut to length several solitary wood holders; Oak, Walnut, Padauk & Purple Heart. There are 18 of them in various lengths and hole patterns (as #1-8 at the top of the thread).

Additionally, I have glued up various combinations of these woods for laminated holders - about 10 or more should come from these.

And, I have a couple surprises up my sleeve... :thumbs::thumbs:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hello- been away a couple days. Been buried in a mound of multi-color wood shavings!

Time for a Sunday night update on holder progress. All the laminated holders have been cut to size and this brings the total to 39 (I think). Roughly 1/2 the run are single wood holders, and the other 1/2 are 3 ply laminations - a single "racing" stripe running through the holders.

This weekend was the most boring of the construction process - the boring of holes - about 400 or so I guess. I'm knee deep in wood chips and continuing the boring job... Some routing and sanding, and we'll be ready for the finishing process!

Still shooting for the unveil in 7-10 days... With at least one surprise unveiling... hmmm

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hello-

This is your (late) mid week production update...

Fell behind a little, feeling under the weather a bit; but, I've gotten all the holes drilled! Did a count and it looks to be about 34 or so. I pulled a few of the blanks that I found major imperfections in.

So it's off for routing and sanding next. Then everybody gets a bath in clear, natural Minwax wood stain. That will take a couple days which brings us up to the holiday weekend. My family and I will be off the map for the weekend!

Which brings us to the first of the week again... Should be starting the final step - clear coating. Hoping to get that done by Wednesday. I can photograph within a couple hours of spraying, but they need a good week to dry before any can be shipped.

So at this point I'm looking at putting up the new thread the weekend of 9/6, after Labor Day (I'll link to it). Sorry for the delay, but I'm not one to rush things - mistakes happen and the quality goes down. I won't have that!

Thanks everyone!

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hello everyone!

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I did - stripped and sanded my kitchen cabinets in prep for stain and new doors and granite countertops!

I'm happy to report that the holders are right on schedule - everyone got routed and sanded, then everybody got into the Minwax "Jacuzzi". They're all dry and ready to start clear coat tonight.

And... I managed to get both my surprise holders in on this run. I think some of you may find them Reo nice...

I'll give another update around Wednesday or so- should be about done!

Stay tuned-

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread