Gradual Decreasing Smoke (I'm Sorry For Asking These Again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
Okay guys, hi, its me again...On the previous thread of mine (https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/posts/20796989/) discussed a lot with you guys bout 12mg nic and mixing stuff.

Now my query...as here 100's of you quit smoking with vaping? Not all of you stopped smoking all in a sudden? (It's hell you know?)

Question : Is decreasing the smoking gradually a thing? I mean I smoke 1+ pack a day with a lot of milked tea...and i'm a victim of panic disorder, shortness of breath, acidity, gastric, constipation, cough, and a lot of thing...i have to take panic pill every 4 hours, no matter i die or live and I'm constantly regretting. So my previous 12mg juice problem is solved, someone wise there told me to play with the nic levels and see what i need, and everyone also mentioned "Its the smokes chemicals thats killing you not nicotine" so nicotine level doesn't matter that much...so after mixing that 12mg, i realized i don't need more than 3mg tbh if I really want to vape and 6mg if "it get worse"

So todays topic is "I'm dying for smoke" someone on the other thread also told me to decrease gradually, now is this a real thing? I mean i can control myself for 1 hour if i'm a smoker....like vape for 1 hour (10mins usually) and i can pass 1 hour then smoke 1....so in that manner i'm smoking less than my previous (tried a thousand types of cigarette filters, its hell, don't buy those) So In that way I don't even feel that I'm trying to quit or anything...what quitting all in a sudden did and always happening is...I feel like i'm no more...so its more like I'm dying in both ways.

So my good friends and "life experts" i'll tell you guys, if I try now to decrease my smoking gradually with vape...means i'm doing anything...? I mean i'm still a smoker...Actually one idiot blog washed my head, they says... "1 or 40 you're still a smoker and you'll die in a same way, theres no safe way to smoke even if you smoke from 2 packs to just 2"

I'm sorry for sharing my life that much with you but all I'm trying to say "I have no one, no place, nothing that can help except you guys"

Should I fresh start gradually decreasing? And please forgive me for my typos, for my boring life, for my poverty that i cant afford nicotine gums or any fancy pod with nic salts etc, I'm poor and i cant help it...but you can help me if you can figure me out that gradual decreasing make sense or not...I'm smoking nearly 30 a day now with 8 mugs of milked poison tea.

And again "Thank you everyone in here, you are my family, more than that, I wasn't even known how to take a direct lung drag when I first came here with my kanger sub box mini kit, 2 years ago" Still trying lol...Help Me and Thanks again :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We have a saying on ECF, "It's not important how many cigarettes you smoke in a days time that is important. It's how many you DIDN'T smoke that's important." Make sense?

Any reduction in smoking is a plus for you. Vaping instead of smoking is a plus for you.

I think you are over reacting to your progress, or your perceived lack of progress. Take each day a day at a time. Do "try" to cut down your smoking by vaping instead. You may take two steps forward, and then one step backwards...that's ok.

When you do smoke, only smoke HALF of a cigarette, and then put it out. Next time you smoke, smoke the rest of that cigarette. It's going to taste BAD, but that will help you to quit.

If you're still smoking your favorite brand of cigarettes, get a brand that you don't enjoy as much. I smoked a menthol cigarette for 35 years, I hated plain tobacco cigarettes. The last pack I bought was a plain tobacco cigarette, that helped me to quit.

The less cigarettes that you smoke, the less you will desire them, over time. You'll learn to prefer the vaping over smoking, and eventually be able to stop smoking entirely. Once you have quit smoking, THEN you can consider to drop the nic concentration of your e-liquid. Small steps, not leaps.

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Willpower is needed. Cutting down by 1 cigarette a day worked for me but also had me thinking about smoking constantly (how many have i smoked today ?) it's a two edged sword... Eventually i just stopped smoking and switched to full time vaping - along with at least 8-9 cups of tea a day !

For you, just keep going with what you are doing and try not to make it into too big of a deal. That can just provoke anxiety. Reward yourelf mentally for every cigarette you havn't smoked and eventually you may find the pleasure of not smoking outweighs the craving for the weed...

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Desire to quit smoking and making the decision to do so is the hard part. No matter what route you go there will very likely be a period of 2 weeks to a month that you will have to just stick it out. Cigarettes are very addictive with all the chemicals in them. The nicotine in vaping can make it easier but you still have to just do it.

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
Willpower is needed. Cutting down by 1 cigarette a day worked for me but also had me thinking about smoking constantly (how many have i smoked today ?) it's a two edged sword... Eventually i just stopped smoking and switched to full time vaping - along with at least 8-9 cups of tea a day !

For you, just keep going with what you are doing and try not to make it into too big of a deal. That can just provoke anxiety. Reward yourelf mentally for every cigarette you havn't smoked and eventually you may find the pleasure of not smoking outweighs the craving for the weed...

We have a saying on ECF, "It's not important how many cigarettes you smoke in a days time that is important. It's how many you DIDN'T smoke that's important." Make sense?

Any reduction in smoking is a plus for you. Vaping instead of smoking is a plus for you.

I think you are over reacting to your progress, or your perceived lack of progress. Take each day a day at a time. Do "try" to cut down your smoking by vaping instead. You may take two steps forward, and then one step backwards...that's ok.

When you do smoke, only smoke HALF of a cigarette, and then put it out. Next time you smoke, smoke the rest of that cigarette. It's going to taste BAD, but that will help you to quit.

If you're still smoking your favorite brand of cigarettes, get a brand that you don't enjoy as much. I smoked a menthol cigarette for 35 years, I hated plain tobacco cigarettes. The last pack I bought was a plain tobacco cigarette, that helped me to quit.

The less cigarettes that you smoke, the less you will desire them, over time. You'll learn to prefer the vaping over smoking, and eventually be able to stop smoking entirely. Once you have quit smoking, THEN you can consider to drop the nic concentration of your e-liquid. Small steps, not leaps.

Thanks for your precious time, your words does make sense "It's how many you DIDN'T smoke" Thank you :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You just need to "chill". ;) We all need encouragement and positive reinforcement sometimes. ECF is here to help you.

22-you-got-this-meme-5.jpg

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@riddlesmyth - I found that dual using (smoking and vaping for awhile) was for me...what finally worked to get me off the smokes. I'd tried many other ways for years and was never able to quit smoking.

When I decided to give vaping a try, I'd already gotten down to 1/2 pack a day from my usual 1 - 1.5 packs a day for 42+ years. In my quit plan...each week, I allowed myself 1 less cigarette per day. So, my first week, I could have 9 during each day...while vaping at other times when I had a craving. The next week, I allowed myself 8 per day, and the next week 7 per day, etc....until I had my last smoke a little less than 2 months after I first started vaping. By the time I was down to 2 per day, then finally 1 per day...I really didn't even miss the others I wasn't smoking, and I really liked vaping more than smoking!

For me, my own plan worked like a charm, as I had no cravings, no withdrawl, and I've never even craved a cigarette since I quit. I never would've believed that anything could help me quit smoking after so many years, so I was totally amazed when vaping worked.

Whatever plan or method you use to switch to vaping, just don't be hard on yourself mentally as you go along. Allow yourself to recognize that it's a personal, little, victory...every time you choose to vape instead of having a smoke. Pretty soon you'll be surprised at how many times you're doing that!

Above all, remember that what works for each person will not be the same, and it doesn't have to be, in order to quit! We each have to find our own method, plan, etc. that helps us do it.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
I think mindset has something to do with quitting. I know that was my case as I didn't start vaping to quit smoking. Instead, I was curious if these new ecig thingys could save me some money as Crook County is expensive and I was smoking 2+ PAD.

That said, I started with a cig-a-like and that didn't save me any money as I was going through cartridges like crazy. Then a vape shop opened near me and they got me to try a ego and C4 cleromizers and 5 different flavors of eliquid. Those C4's were a PITA but they did help me do what I intended to; start saving money. As frustrating as they (C4's) were, they got me to start to enjoy vaping as the flavors were making me want to vape. I was still smoking at this time but within the first couple weeks I went from buying 2 cartons a week to buying 1 carton in a week and a half. Never was my mindset that I was going to quit smoking. I was just happy I was saving money on smokes.

Then I went back to the vape shop and after talking to one of the workers, I bought a MVP and a couple evods and a Davide tank and wow, the flavors just tasted better and I could adjust my wattage to get a vape I enjoyed. Within a week my cigarette usage dropped to where I no longer bought a carton of smokes and would buy a pack every 3-4 days. That was due to me enjoying vaping more. That is when the thought of actually quitting started to cross my mind as well. At that time I smoked one smoke at Christmas 2013 and had 3 left in a pack. I smoked half a cig on 01/03/2014 and never had another one and tossed the remaining 2 out. I just enjoyed vaping more. It took a little while but the end result is what counts.

The most important thing to me was finding a vape which I enjoyed. Once I did that, I started to enjoy vaping more than smoking. My advice, find a flavor or 10 that you enjoy and a set up which satisfies you and go from there. Don't put it in your head that you are quitting smoking, just learn to enjoy vaping. The quit will come when you're good and ready. Well, that is what worked for me.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I tell people that I quit smoking by accident.
My first vape was an eGo kit.
That was replaced pretty quickly (after about a couple of weeks) by a slightly bigger Gravity spinner, and a ProTank 2.
About a month after that, I got an Innokin VV 3.0, and I threw away the last pack of cigarettes I had bought when I got the Gravity spinner still half unsmoked.
I've upgraded a couple of times since then, going through a couple of Innokin MVPs (one 2.0, and one 20w.) with Nautilus tanks, an XCube II, with a Triton, and finally my current rig, a Sigelei 213, with an Aspire Cleito.
Once I had a mod that would last through the day, I was pretty well set.
I had already discovered that I enjoyed vaping better than smoking.
For me it was simply a matter of picking up a vape instead of a cigarette when the cravings hit.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
For years I played with trying to cut down on smoking. Counting how many smokes a day...the time between cigarettes, etc. I spent so much time focused on how much or how little I was smoking that I found I was thinking about it all day long. IMO that's not a positive thing.

The day I started vaping I threw the cigs away and haven't had one since. The first couple of months my brain continued to tell me I wanted a cigarette. So I hit my vape more. Soon those thoughts of smoking passed.

It is certainly possible to quit the cigs and just vape.

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
@riddlesmyth - I found that dual using (smoking and vaping for awhile) was for me...what finally worked to get me off the smokes. I'd tried many other ways for years and was never able to quit smoking.

When I decided to give vaping a try, I'd already gotten down to 1/2 pack a day from my usual 1 - 1.5 packs a day for 42+ years. In my quit plan...each week, I allowed myself 1 less cigarette per day. So, my first week, I could have 9 during each day...while vaping at other times when I had a craving. The next week, I allowed myself 8 per day, and the next week 7 per day, etc....until I had my last smoke a little less than 2 months after I first started vaping. By the time I was down to 2 per day, then finally 1 per day...I really didn't even miss the others I wasn't smoking, and I really liked vaping more than smoking!

For me, my own plan worked like a charm, as I had no cravings, no withdrawl, and I've never even craved a cigarette since I quit. I never would've believed that anything could help me quit smoking after so many years, so I was totally amazed when vaping worked.

Whatever plan or method you use to switch to vaping, just don't be hard on yourself mentally as you go along. Allow yourself to recognize that it's a personal, little, victory...every time you choose to vape instead of having a smoke. Pretty soon you'll be surprised at how many times you're doing that!

Above all, remember that what works for each person will not be the same, and it doesn't have to be, in order to quit! We each have to find our own method, plan, etc. that helps us do it.

Okay...I have few question to you, one is...what i'm doing right now, |I dont Know| funny I know...I'm starting a stopwatch, vaping till my cigg craving, then smoking...am i in a line of decreasing or i'm on 2 addiction...vaping and smoking?

2) I'm dying for a pod and nicsalt juice, I have kits from high end to low end clearomizers...am I crazy? What I'm thinking that, i'm just blowing out fake clouds out of nothing...a pod might help me cure in 7 days, as the nic is strong there, 50mg what m saying...lemmi know.

3) I'm a human too, and i really liked the way you did it (may God bless you) do you suggest me to cut down 1 cigg everyday or as i'm doing? Trying to push myself as long as I can to get out from smoking and vape more? The thing happening, I was fixing my SMOK's coil and vaping, I wasnt even noticed 4 hours past and I was vaping and didn't even feel anything bout smoking...right after finishing the coil building i remembered that I need to take a shower, pray, have a mug of tea a cigg...then i did those and my stomach is doing pathetic! So i'm asking here to you and everyone...should I take a long step...like waiting for 6-8 hours and see what happens on my body?
Everytime I achieve to quit smoking with vape ....then something happen on my chest, like an emptyness, then I get back to smoking again and then vape, smoke, blah!

4) Can you tell me what m I doing right now with waiting for 1 hour and vaping smoking? Is that even a thing? Generally I smoke every 20mins....

And lastly thank you everyone for your support and love towards me :)

Reactions: Anise

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
When I quit smoking 9 years ago , I did it on the patch. I was a half pack to a pack a day smoker for 13 years. Every night I took off the patch due to the vivid dreams or nightmares they gave. I didn't know about vaporizers back then. So every morning for the first week, I would have 1 cigarette then put the patch back on. The second week I smoked half a cigarette. The third week I stopped smoking altogether. I probably didn't smoke as much or as long as you but I say if you are cutting back I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. It's very hard to quit cold turkey , I couldn't do it.

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
For years I played with trying to cut down on smoking. Counting how many smokes a day...the time between cigarettes, etc. I spent so much time focused on how much or how little I was smoking that I found I was thinking about it all day long. IMO that's not a positive thing.

The day I started vaping I threw the cigs away and haven't had one since. The first couple of months my brain continued to tell me I wanted a cigarette. So I hit my vape more. Soon those thoughts of smoking passed.

It is certainly possible to quit the cigs and just vape.

"How?" you mean I can do it too?....totally forget smoke and trying to "full time vaping again?" and you did it for real? man I'm trying this for last 2 years, never able to quit completely...like theres always something on road that was creating blockage, mostly mental and that constipation thing....lemmi know!

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
When I quit smoking 9 years ago , I did it on the patch. I was a half pack to a pack a day smoker for 13 years. Every night I took off the patch due to the vivid dreams or nightmares they gave. I didn't know about vaporizers back then. So every morning for the first week, I would have 1 cigarette then put the patch back on. The second week I smoked half a cigarette. The third week I stopped smoking altogether. I probably didn't smoke as much or as long as you but I say if you are cutting back I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. It's very hard to quit cold turkey , I couldn't do it.

all i can say here, i'm lost in thousand thoughts, reading all the comments from you guys gave me new courage, one thought saying, "through that cigg and take this new life with full time vape as a gift from God" another thought saying "I'll be lost without cigg" why! why! why the hell I smoked my first B&H in 2000- right after my birthday...November, I lost my everything....my fav author used to smoke like me, he died , stroke....anyway i think i'm over thinking again....but one thing is clear, i will take a decision today before I sleep, enough fishing, 18 years of sickness, I need mental strength....I'll update my situation....

• Optimistic
Reactions: Possum64

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You can read and consider the different ways other people have quit smoking. No harm in that at all. But everyone is different. What works for another person may or may not work for you.

What seems to be a trend with you is you go back to smoking every time a new calamity happens to you. That's not uncommon. Many folks go back to smoking after a major emotional event like a divorce, death, major financial setback, etc.

For times like that, it might be prudent to have a vape that has more nicotine in it than your usual vape. Anything that keeps you from buying another pack.

Last edited:

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
I haven't heard of people vaping 50 mg of nicotine, I would try 30 mg first .. you don't want to get nicotine overdose it isn't pleasant. Bad headache .

I wasn't known either, everyone starts from 30mg...but the vape shop told me I need 50mg (Nicsalt base what I'm saying btw, not freebase) based on my smoking addiction...also JUUL provide 50mg preloaded I guess? Anyway...its one of my wild desires...maybe I don't even need a pod...idk...

Reactions: Eskie

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Okay...I have few question to you, one is...what i'm doing right now, |I dont Know| funny I know...I'm starting a stopwatch, vaping till my cigg craving, then smoking...am i in a line of decreasing or i'm on 2 addiction...vaping and smoking?

IMO, if you're just vaping during the time your stopwatch is keeping track (and not smoking then)...you at least aren't having any cigarettes during that time. So that's a good thing. Maybe gradually try to let your stopwatch go to a longer time...before you have a smoke. Doing that you will decrease your smoking and increase your vaping.

2) I'm dying for a pod and nicsalt juice, I have kits from high end to low end clearomizers...am I crazy? What I'm thinking that, i'm just blowing out fake clouds out of nothing...a pod might help me cure in 7 days, as the nic is strong there, 50mg what m saying...lemmi know.

I have no experience with a pod system and 50mg nic. However, I personally can't even imagine vaping eliquid that strong. I'd most likely get "nic sick" from it. Sorry I can't advise you about it.

3) I'm a human too, and i really liked the way you did it (may God bless you) do you suggest me to cut down 1 cigg everyday or as i'm doing? Trying to push myself as long as I can to get out from smoking and vape more

I cannot advise you what will be the best way for you, because I'm not you and your body isn't mine. All I can tell you is that for me...I'd tried cutting down 1 cigarette less each day in the past, and it didn't work for me. I personally needed more time to reduce my smoking, while I was increasing my vaping and enjoying it more as I went along week by week. As I was going through those weeks, I did for sure notice that the busier I kept myself...the less I even thought about having a smoke. IMO, you'll need to base how you do it on how you feel physically, how you mentally deal with cutting down the smokes, and what you find to do to stay busy so you don't think about having one.

4) Can you tell me what m I doing right now with waiting for 1 hour and vaping smoking? Is that even a thing? Generally I smoke every 20mins....

It can be "a thing" for you, because it's already helping you go 1 hour before a cigarette, when before you'd have 1 every 20 minutes. So really...it's already helping you cut down on how many you are smoking! :thumbs:

See what I wrote in the last part of my answer to #1...about maybe gradually making that time longer. That might work as well for you. Stretch it out to 1 hour 30 minutes for a few days, and see how you do. If all goes well...then try 2 hours, to see how you do, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread