Griffin clone help

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguitarjam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Blue Bell, PA
So i have a Griffin clone . This as a clone... The Griffin - Rebuildable Atomizer Tank with a SS mesh wick and a coil set at 2.2 ohms on a ego twist at 4.6v. I try to burn off the coil between juices so the coils burn nice and red but the juice still tastes muted. Most recent juice is alice in vapeland's white rabbit which tastes great in a vivi nova but so muted in my rebuildable.

gardnerd4me

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Oakland
So i have a Griffin clone . This as a clone... The Griffin - Rebuildable Atomizer Tank with a SS mesh wick and a coil set at 2.2 ohms on a ego twist at 4.6v. I try to burn off the coil between juices so the coils burn nice and red but the juice still tastes muted. Most recent juice is alice in vapeland's white rabbit which tastes great in a vivi nova but so muted in my rebuildable.

I'm using one similar (not griffin, but dud), and i've noticed that when the coil is working the vape is great. But if your coil is loose it can burn it a bit, or boil it. I don't think it is a good idea to run a genesis atomizer on a twist, as far as I know there is no short protection on the battery. I run it on a ProVari and always check the ohms before and after wick install.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
You have a less than perfect coil....A prefect coil has no hot spots and the all the coils glow the same way at the same time. I bet if you removed all the liquid from your tank and started doing dry hits...probably only a couple of you coils are glowing while the rest of them are cold. Look at the video at the bottom of the page...it will teach you how to make perfect coils.

Z-Atty-Pro - Rebuildable Tank System

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
ok did you guys season the wick a little? There are two ways of doing it...just go through a few tanks of ejuice and you will notice the flavor improving gradually. Or...take the top cap off...fill the tank with juice....point the device towards the ground....fire up the device for ten seconds...repeat 5 times. The dry burns will season your wick. If you have a good coil and you season it the way I described, your first vape will taste awesome.

aguitarjam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Blue Bell, PA
So I took the juice out of my tank and dry burned the coils and played with them a bit to get them all glowing and now it seems to be running better. But now it seems to pop a lot when vaping..... Thinking that is a good thing but still finding the flavor muted... vaping White Rabbit from Alice in Vapeland.... maybe its the juice?

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I got one recently and got it going after 529 attempts. It tastes ok. My gold standard for taste is a short boge carto though and this tank does not taste like that. As someone pointed out, you are not drawing air through any filling like in the carto. Dunno.

...Or maybe there's just not enough bacon flavor for your taste, perhaps? :)

With the right set-up, you'll be able to close the gap. Carto's will still be an altogether different vape, but then again, they're made by underpaid workers out of unknown materials, halfway around the world, while your Genesis wraps are your very own creation, made with the best materials that we know of/can get our hands on. Plus it's way cheaper to DIY. Anyway, I still use both, and for that "saturated" flavor experience you can't beat carto's- but most juices will shine when they're in a well-set-up genny.

dirtyrigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Anyway, I still use both, and for that "saturated" flavor experience you can't beat carto's- but most juices will shine when they're in a well-set-up genny.

When you say "saturated" do you mean "intense" or am i misunderstanding? I've having the same issue as the OP and i was told that 500 mesh provided more flavor than what was included with the DuD, but the new rip trippers vid completely contradicts that so i'm not sure now which mesh would be the best bet for strong flavor. When i got this i thought the coil would be the pita, but it turns out its the wick.

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
When you say "saturated" do you mean "intense" or am i misunderstanding? I've having the same issue as the OP and i was told that 500 mesh provided more flavor than what was included with the DuD, but the new rip trippers vid completely contradicts that so i'm not sure now which mesh would be the best bet for strong flavor. When i got this i thought the coil would be the pita, but it turns out its the wick.

No, I would say the intensity you get with genesis systems is similar. The difference in flavor with cartos is due to the path that the air takes through the cartomizer, and the best way I can describe that difference is that you get flavors from your juice that range from the "aroma" of it- like what you smell when you take the cap off the bottle- all the way through to the fully-atomized vape taste. I think Pbusardo said it best when he describes cartos as being more "perfumey". Like I said though, most flavors are just as intense in a genesis as in cartos- and with some strong flavors, like Pluid, you'll only get the "full effects" of the juice when it's in an SS/kanthal build.

Was having an issue with the threading getting stripped in the screw holes. The screws were fine it was the holes that were stripping on the negative post. Used the toothpick trick and now it works fine and don't need to use the hex key anymore. Just put the kanthal wire down the hole... stuffed a round toothpick in there to keep it secure and now it works good again.
... I am using a cinnamon toothpick and I can taste a bit of cinnamon with each hit... time to get some regular ones. =)

Last edited:

aeroforce156

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
Greenville,NC
I was just playing around picking up random things to try as a tip for this set up and realized I have an AWESOME setup for killing the "muted flavor" for this genesis style.

I took the rubber mouthpiece for a CE2 and put it in a universal drip tip adapter.
I also have a beveled tank from IBtanked
58234_401415556611825_1957680474_n.jpg

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I'm not sure if this helps but I soaked my wick in a small container of juice for a day or so. I am very very pleased with the intense pure flavor of my SS mesh wick.. I started out with this wick a couple months ago and have wrapped many coils around it trying to get the hang of this thing. I have a vulcan, which is the same thing as the griffin. I watched Zen's video, posted above and did exactly what he did.. and finally it all clicked and came together and now I know what everyone raves about with these Gen style attys.

aeroforce156

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
Greenville,NC
I'm not sure if this helps but I soaked my wick in a small container of juice for a day or so. I am very very pleased with the intense pure flavor of my SS mesh wick.. I started out with this wick a couple months ago and have wrapped many coils around it trying to get the hang of this thing. I have a vulcan, which is the same thing as the griffin. I watched Zen's video, posted above and did exactly what he did.. and finally it all clicked and came together and now I know what everyone raves about with these Gen style attys.

I ran through about 2 bundles of 13' of wire and could only get my dripping phoenix rebuildable to work. Also I was using 32awg and it seemed to break no matter what I did.

It took a few test runs but now I have 11 wraps of kanthal 28. It's 1.6ohms and a huge amount of vaping surface area. I ordered 100 feet and only made it through about 6-7 inches before making the perfect one. Been using it for a week now. Works better every day.

Might get irritating at times but just watch every video you can and compare your coil to theirs and remember to poke the crap out of the coils and wick and it will work perfectly eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread