Status
Not open for further replies.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
On the Vmod you have to turn it upside down to feed it, a Reo is feed upright
Some people like it, I didn't and sold the Vmod and kept my Reo.

You mean turn it 180 degrees upside down? but then you would have to turn it back upright again right? Otherwise it might leak?

Then what's the point of the squeeze bottle?

yolo_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Strawberry Fields
I have a Vmod and Reos. The differences are

Vmod is bottle fed with gravity and squonking/squeezing the bottle.
Reo is tubefed and doesn't use tilting to move the nic juice. Just squonk and go :)

Vmod is made to use disposable attys and cartos. You would have to be a modder to use rebuildable attys afaik
Reo has the RM2 atty which is already modded for use with Reo. You can also use cartos and disposable attys if you want to.

Vmod needs to be sent in for repair if it breaks.
Reo can be sent in or you can buy a repair kit and fix it yourself.

Vmod is cheaper because the mod is made cheap to be sold quickly.
Reo is not really expensive but is made to last.

hth :)

eta:
Vmod uses a cone to close and open the mod for changing the battery or bottle.
Reo has a door with magnets that slides off ond on.

Last edited:

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
In order to feed liquid to the atomizer atop the Vmod, you must turn it upside-down for a second or two to allow juice to make contact with the bottom of the atomizer. After turning it right-side-up, a quick squeeze (AKA "squonk") of the juice bottle housed within the body will force the liquid that stuck to the bottom of the atomizer up into the atomizer's heating element.

A REO has a tube running from the juice bottle (also located within the body) to the atomizer. This allows you to feed liquid to the atomizer without having to turn ut upside-down. Excess liquid fed to the atomizer will automatically drain back into the bottle below. Like the Vmod, the REO can be used with 510 atomizers or cartomizers, assuming they've got a hole in them to allow juice to be fed from below. Unlike the Vmod, a REO can be used (and most commonly is) with a rebuildable dripping atomizer.

While the Vmod and REO are both bottom-fed devices, most will recommend the REO over the Vmod.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I have both too. I used my VMOD for about 3 months as my only vaping device. Then bought a REO, now the VMOD is my backup.

Main differences have already been mentioned in the post above, but I wanted to add that if you can get one with the 50% off coupon Vapage have every now and then, it's a great little introduction to bottom feeders. I wouldn't pay the $85 for it though (my opinion only)

Yes, you do have to turn it to squonk, but when you get used to it, it's simple. Unlike the REO, because of the way it feeds, you can flood the atty on a VMOD. Again, once you get used to the flavor and vapor of it, you'll know instinctively how much to squonk and how often.

There is also an easy mod you can do to the tube to make the VMOD feed like a REO.

The chassis of the VMOD is plastic and there have been numerous reports of them cracking - Vapage do seem to do a good job of taking care of customers with this issue though.

As for actual vaping, the VMOD with a vapage slant coil atty is a great vape - it's up there with my REO with a RM2 for both flavor and vapor - but of course the RM2 I can change the build so it is much more versatile. It also looks about a billion percent better - the VMOD has a form factor that only a mother could love (again IMO)

I have a soft spot for my VMOD (I actually own two of them) and I would recommend them as a great inexpensive way to get into bottom feeders as the vape is a great one once you get used to the feeding mechanism.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
In order to feed liquid to the atomizer atop the Vmod, you must turn it upside-down for a second or two to allow juice to make contact with the bottom of the atomizer. After turning it right-side-up, a quick squeeze (AKA "squonk") of the juice bottle housed within the body will force the liquid that stuck to the bottom of the atomizer up into the atomizer's heating element.

thanks for the helpful reply. What I don't understand is why you can't just squeeze the bottle upright on the Vmod without turning it upside down. You mentioned that you need to turn it upside down "to allow the juice to make contact with the atomizer," but wouldn't squeezing the juice up also achieve this?

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
thanks for the helpful reply. What I don't understand is why you can't just squeeze the bottle upright on the Vmod without turning it upside down. You mentioned that you need to turn it upside down "to allow the juice to make contact with the atomizer," but wouldn't squeezing the juice up also achieve this?

It has a two chamber design (supposedly) so you tilt it to let gravity feed the first chamber, then squonk to force the juice into the drip cup.
In effect, you can actually tilt it and squonk at the same time and it feeds the juice straight into the drip cup / atomizer.

As I mentioned, many members have modded the VMOD to get it to feed the same way as a REO and other bottom feeders.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Nah, REO is 'better' because it's milled out of a piece of metal and has few parts to go wrong. I could hammer a nail in with my REO and it'll still work. If I tried that with my VMOD I'd end up with a bunch of plastic shards.

Not suggesting that you buy a REO to hammer nails in, hammers are available at most DIY stores :D

I find the whole squonking argument disingenuous to be honest. The VMOD just feeds in a different way and it's certainly not a reason to buy one over the other. The real reason is the quality, versatility and durability of the REO over the VMOD. But this comes at a premium.

Functionality is similar, but form, quality, durability, and support are all far superior for the REO.

If you want to spend $45 and get a great intro to bottom feeding that will provide an excellent vape, then the VMOD is a great mod. Don't let people tell you that because it feeds in a different way it's not as good as a REO. It's not as good as a REO for many other different reasons, but feeding is not really one of them - again IMHO.

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
So I guess REO is better because most ppl prefer squeezing to tilting?
That and the durability
The Vmod had a thin metal housing over a plastic chassis, I wouldn't want to risk dropping it too much or the plastic may crack.
The Reo is all aluminum, the most it will get is a small ding or two (adds character).

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
I only have the VMod, but I like it so far. I've never seen a Reo in person, but the VMod is extremely ergonomic and comfortable to hold. At this moment, I have no desire to purchase a Reo. But that may change.

I didn't wait for a sale. I wanted a reliable dripping device, and I was tired of carrying a bottle everywhere and killing batteries. The VMod gives me that.

I also like the cone around the atomizer. It looks better and acts as a drip shield if you do over feed it. Tilting it is no hindrance to the enjoyment of the device, at least for me.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
The fact that you can use every bottom fed RBA made on a REO grand (or REO mini 2.1) put it over the top. Why? Cause bottom fed RBAs were designed for REO grands, the gold standard in bottom feeding.

Many small diameter drippers can be modded to be bottom fed and also used.

The LP grand will accept just about any modded dripper - even large diameter ones.

I stick with cyclones and the chalice, but have had excellent results with the RM2 also, just I'm trying to limit my exposure to brass :)

Here's a grand with a cyclone and a custom door too :)
zeLvthh.jpg

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Supe-X, why are you limiting your exposure to brass? Just curious...

Because I hear (first from my wife) that the lead it contains can cause neurological problems.

I also learned that you can remove leached lead, which I have and will do in any vaping application that has brass, but with some of the other killer RBAs out there like the cyclone, I prefer just to switch to RBAs with no brass.

I also prefer the cleanliness of a solid deck :)

It's not every day that I get my wife's support to buy vape gear :)

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
Because I hear (first from my wife) that the lead it contains can cause neurological problems.

I also learned that you can remove leached lead, which I have and will do in any vaping application that has brass, but with some of the other killer RBAs out there like the cyclone, I prefer just to switch to RBAs with no brass.

I also prefer the cleanliness of a solid deck :)

It's not every day that I get my wife's support to buy vape gear :)

I never thought about the potential cleanliness of a solid deck... hmm.

Further off the subject (sorry OP:oops:), last time I ordered from RTD I tried one of those drip tips you are so fond of. I'm hooked. All I'm using going forward.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have a VMod-XL, no Reo. A VMod can be a good intro to see if you would like a bottom feeding mod without paying considerably more for a Reo. I'll agree that the VMod's construction is somewhat cheap and may not take too much abuse. It is what it is. Take good care of it and it can serve as a nice long-term backup device.

VMod-XL with pyrex glass drip tip

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Just one more thing I'd like to add to this -- :)

No, you do not have to turn the vmod 180 degrees to get it to feed
. Gees, it's liquid. Do you have to turn over a glass of water 180 degrees before the liquid comes out? Or, a bottle of e-liquid with the dropper tip removed?

One just tilts it enough for the liquid to run into the chamber. Then taps on the bottle will feed it a few times. Then one tilts to refill the chamber. It also works until the bottle is down to it's last drop or two. This chamber idea is actually quite a nice and unique design.

I've seen many a RBA user use the same tilt when they vape -- to insure they are getting proper wicking, I believe, but somehow some people seem to find it work to tilt a bottom feeder. :confused:

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Vmod for several reasons;

ITs cheaper. Starts at 85$ + Shipping
No wait time
smaller, and more pocket friendly.

now heres the reo

ALOT more durable
Better feed system
And more adaptability.

But with reos, they cost more and have wait times.

I have a vmod and love it. I'd recommend it to any new liquid feed user. but if youre looking for somethign a bit more and arent new to the game, a reo is definitely a great option

but personally, I dont dig the boxy look =T Vmod jsut is so muhc sleeker XD

EDIT: I also have abused my vmod i nthe short week I've owned it, and it still vapes pretty dang well. No serious damage. short of me taking a hammer to it, of course. Every day life and dropping it shouldnt hurt it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread