Vmod vs REO? (please read first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

time2quit

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
upstate new york
I've also owned both Vmod and REO Grand. IMO there is no comparison! I had my VMOD for a week before I sold it. To me It did not sit in my hand comfortably. The squonking was very Inconsistent. And most of the time the draw was very, very tight.

...So I bought a grand. I've only had it for two days, but so far it's everything I wanted from the Vmod and more. It's comfortable, super easy to squonk, and the draw has been perfect. I love it!

One thing I will say about "Vapage" the maker of the Vmod, is their 1.5ohm hybrid slant coil attys are outstanding! Especially now that it's sitting on my reo ; )

BTW...you can also call Rob on the phone about getting a blemished REO. He didn't have any on his site, but when I called he said he had a couple.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
One thing I will say about "Vapage" the maker of the Vmod, is their 1.5ohm hybrid slant coil attys are outstanding! Especially now that it's sitting on my reo ; )

BTW...you can also call Rob on the phone about getting a blemished REO. He didn't have any on his site, but when I called he said he had a couple.

I used their hybrid slant coil attys on my reo. I agree that they are outstanding. The problem was that I could only get 3 days or so from them, and they are too expensive to continue to use them. I replaced my last one with a RM2 and have never looked back. The RM2 is even better than the hybrid. Note that I vape NETs exclusively, which can account for the fact that the attys only lasted me 3 days. I change the wick in the RM2 (cotton) daily, and dry burn the coil. They get majorly gunked up in a day's time.

_more_

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
I used their hybrid slant coil attys on my reo. I agree that they are outstanding. The problem was that I could only get 3 days or so from them, and they are too expensive to continue to use them. I replaced my last one with a RM2 and have never looked back. The RM2 is even better than the hybrid. Note that I vape NETs exclusively, which can account for the fact that the attys only lasted me 3 days. I change the wick in the RM2 (cotton) daily, and dry burn the coil. They get majorly gunked up in a day's time.

I have one left and hoping it hangs on until i order my RM2 from Reo! I am using it on a Reo Grand and i agree they are good but too expensive.

y cherry y

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI

I use Vapage atties on all of my devices, and find they are EXTREMELY long-lived. If you're vaping W2V NETs, yes, any atty will be challenged. But I vape Ahlusion, GeJ and the like, and mine last a long time.

Like all 510 dripping atties, you don't start hitting them hard at high voltage immediately; let 4-5 drops of juice soak in for a couple minutes, then start at low voltage, and work it up to where you want it after several refills. Also, when Vapage has a big sale (like the 50% off that just ended), their atties are cheap. They compare to Avid Cisco specs. $4.50 each (50% off) is a crazy good price.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Both are fine bottom feeding vaping machines. And the Bogger is another one that deserves a second look, imo.

Like any APV, it depends on what one is looking for in an APV as to which is best, for them.

The Vmod is not just a great starter feeder, but it serves that purpose well. One can purchase very inexpensively, especially when on sale, and give bottom feeding a try. With the a la carte kit also including 2 drip tips, a hybrid slant coil atty, a carto and a spare bottle the net cost of the device is moderate, even at full price.

I see this price point as an incentive to try this strange almost unheard of thing called bottom feeding and experience using an atty. (Realize many new vapors don't even know what an atty is). Plus, once one falls for a feeder they often buy other brands and expand their collection. Haven't you?

I could give you a few names of people that sold their reo mini's after the vmod version one came out and even a couple that came back to Vmod. If you don't believe me, I can produce names. It's silly though -- people buy and sell and trade APV's all the time. We even have a place here at ECF to do so.

Some people collect a brand, others a style and still others like a collection of various styles of device. I love all my mods and all the variety.

The Hybrid Slant coil spec atty is an excellent atty. For those that say it doesn't last long, I can only imagine that you haven't tried the slant coil spec. My earlier atty's were inconsistent -- from a few days to a couple of weeks with a lot of use. At the times I've used the slant coils (AKA shi-fu) style pretty consistently they have lasted more than a month.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I've also owned both Vmod and REO Grand. IMO there is no comparison! I had my VMOD for a week before I sold it. To me It did not sit in my hand comfortably. The squonking was very Inconsistent. And most of the time the draw was very, very tight.

...So I bought a grand. I've only had it for two days, but so far it's everything I wanted from the Vmod and more. It's comfortable, super easy to squonk, and the draw has been perfect. I love it!

As he lists his REO on the classifieds.... and states" bottom feeding just isn't for him"

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
What bothers me is the post essentially trashing the vmod as some sub-par device and raving about the REO he sells a day later because he's unhappy with it. The REO is a higher quality mod and should be for the price but, the Vmod isn't some POS stepping stone either.

For $55 ( sale) you're getting one great little solid device with a decent warranty. With some ingenuity you can make an rba for it and even if you can't the slant coil is one of the best atomizers on the market.

Travis180

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Alcoa Tn.
I have only had my vmod xl for a week but I think it is a good device for the money. I haven't had any problems at all and the silo hybrid is great. That said my Reo Grand with a rm2 should arrive tomorrow (can't wait to see it). I have never seen a reo in person but everyone on here has convinced me it is the bottom feeder to have! I imagine the vmod will still accompany me to work for a long time to come.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
FRAT warning. Have been giving my REO an honest run. It's a quality well made device and worth the money. I just really don't like the BOX shape and the WEIGHT. Also the raised cup limits the rbas for it. While the vmod rba disadvantage requires some O-rings and a 510-510 adapter to get an RBA to work on it. I modify drippers to bottom feed. Though my modded squid does fit the REO.

The rm2, as nice as it is, isn't perfect. The recessed feed hole in the base will allow other flavored liquid you DRIP into the tube and gets drawn into the bottle corrupting the bottle flavor. I got one of the "defective" Rm2 s with one of the almost non existent post holes and the one that was there was misaligned. Rob the owner offered to accept returns and drill out the post in a thread about the defective units in the REO forum. I just drilled it out myself. It's great to have an owner so hands on but,I don't feel my Rm2 should have been shipped out in the first place. Now that said, the Rm2 is a nice BFrba and the preferred rba for a REO. Ceramic cup base, screwed top cap air inlet aligns perfectly ( this can be both a positive and a slight negative because there's no adjusting alignment), and solid construction. Set up is easy, especially micro coils, and vapes awesome with a micro coil.

Back to REO Vmod. The thing I really like about my REO is.it's.do-it-yourself repairable. It's simple and with a little know-how you can fix everything yourself. Replacement parts are available for everything. THAT'S HUGE. Though I haven't attempted taking apart my Vmod I now know how thanks to turbocad. Still I wouldn't have the replacement parts available though. I did have to use the warranty for a cracked chassis and vapage didn't give me any issues. Turnaround was surprisingly quick. I believe it was about 5-7 business days before I had my replacement chassis after shipping the cracked one in. The cracked chassis still worked fine. I just wanted it done under warranty. You're without your mod for that time though. That's a big deal. Having to use my tube mods out and about while waiting for the return or my just ordered REO stunk.

I really strongly prefer the ergonomics of the vmod. The much lighter weight and rounded outside edges feel so much better in hand. No it's not the same quality as a REO. In pocket you hardly notice the vmod xl with battery,rba, and a full juice bottle. You know you're carrying a REO even if it's just the body minus battery, juice, and rba. That's the trade off of the reo's simple quality. The REO could definitely lose a few. You're mod needs to survive big drops, not thermonuclear war. Then you have the Vmod and their cheap plastic innards and aluminum shell which provides the lightweight. Flimsy when separate, together acceptable strong. Will survive some good drops but, it WILL break sooner or later. Maybe years, maybe months. It would be vastly improved if they just used a higher quality plastic. Metal chassis would require a redesign or insulating the wires.

Bottle window placement I prefer the vmod location as well. I've placed a direct tube feed in my Vmod which I only recommend if you're using an rba on your Vmod. With the Vmod's fill-chamber design, the direct feed tube takes away the ability to clear that chamber. The air you're drawing in through an atomizer or cartomizer passes through that chamber and if it's flooded it gurgles and you're likely to get liquid in your mouth. I never had issues with either squeezing techniques. Never had to look at either mod, just feel. Vmod without the tube feed mod, you tilt past horizontal, quarter squeeze keeping that little pressure, upright full squeeze. REO re-grip, good press/squeeze with your thumb, re-grip, vape.

I like the easy access magnetic slide door of the REO. It's easier than the Vmod design especially with an RBA on the Vmod. However the Vmod design allows you to change the whole look of your device with ease. Loads of color options or designs. Picking out a REO design is a big deal because that's what you get. I still like the REO better here overall.

Pricing. REO grand.$144, sales never, blemishes for $115 i think, retains value can be sold later and maybe get one on the classifieds for a little cheaper.
Vmod xl $84.95, sales often up to 40% which I think is the right price for the Vmod xl. Puts it around $60 which is worth every penny.

If I had to choose one to have it would be the REO because of the ability to repair yourself and buy the parts to do so. To me that's everything. You are paying for that though. Almost two and half times as much. The Vmod has proven very reliable but, when something goes wrong there's going to be an absence without it. I have both and use both regularly. Golf,I use my vmod. I can swing and walk with it in my pocket and not be bothered. Weekend camping trip,I take my REO and spare parts. Carry it on my backpack waste belt. They both have their positives and negatives. Both have happy customers and long time users. It's really what's important to you. I say own both..

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
The rm2, as nice as it is, isn't perfect. The recessed feed hole in the base will allow other flavored liquid you DRIP into the tube and gets drawn into the bottle corrupting the bottle flavor.

I really strongly prefer the ergonomics of the vmod. The much lighter weight and rounded outside edges feel so much better in hand. No it's not the same quality as a REO. In pocket you hardly notice the vmod xl with battery,rba, and a full juice bottle. You know you're carrying a REO even if it's just the body minus battery, juice, and rba. That's the trade off of the reo's simple quality. The REO could definitely lose a few. You're mod needs to survive big drops, not thermonuclear war. Then you have the Vmod and their cheap plastic innards and aluminum shell which provides the lightweight. Flimsy when separate, together acceptable strong. Will survive some good drops but, it WILL break sooner or later. Maybe years, maybe months. It would be vastly improved if they just used a higher quality plastic. Metal chassis would require a redesign or insulating the wires.

Pricing. REO grand.$144, sales never, blemishes for $115 i think, retains value can be sold later and maybe get one on the classifieds for a little cheaper.
Vmod xl $84.95, sales often up to 40% which I think is the right price for the Vmod xl. Puts it around $60 which is worth every penny.
Even those who never owned a REO recommend the RM2 as a top RDA. I've used a squid, igo-s, igo-W, igo-L and none compare. To be honest, one could modify those to perform on pair with an RM2 (possibly) but to find that sweet spot is a hassle. The thing is the RM2 is not meant for dripping as per say, the reason it is glorified is because of how effective it is at bottom feeding. If I want to drip and not corrupt the flavor, I got my sealed connector RDAs. Thanks to the way the RM2 works I can flood it without a worry knowing the excess will go down.

Not so much about surviving a drop, but some people do work in areas where dropping your mod is usual. Also, you want a mechanical mod that can last you a lifetime. (Or not, depends on the person. You might just get a mod that will break in a short frame of time expecting something new coming out when that happens) It is kinda heavy, it's actually funny I never see that mentioned from people that just got a REO. Maybe they are coming from equally heavy mods? :p Also, heaven's no. Let the REO not lose any weight in exchange of lower durability. If it was a noticeable problem (or even a problem at all) we'd see it reflected in new customer's opinions. A Mini 2.1 (unless you vape at really sub ohm levels) is the answer to that.

Agreed on the pricing of the Vmod. For around $60 it's worth the money. The only reason I don't buy one is because I don't see a reason to, not because I think it's trash or anywhere near that. It definitely has its merits. If there's one thing I'd like to see is voltage drop analysis on the Vmod. Over at REOville it became a huge topic all of the sudden and now the results is a new soon to come out sub-ohm kit that, well, to put it bluntly, I think it was a 0.35V drop on a 0.39 ohm coil? Can't recall the video, but it beats all the moddings we've done to it.

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Any RBA/RDA and it's performance is in the hands of the builder. Unless the design is totally flawed. Tell me what you can do on a Rm2 that you can't do on a squid, igo-l, or trident?

Can you really disregard one of the best features of a bottom feeder in the ability to drip a new flavor at any time? And still have a bottle of your favorite on demand...

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Any RBA/RDA and it's performance is in the hands of the builder. Unless the design is totally flawed. Tell me what you can do on a Rm2 that you can't do on a squid, igo-l, or trident?

Can you really disregard one of the best features of a bottom feeder in the ability to drip a new flavor at any time? And still have a bottle of your favorite on demand...
Even the size of the RDA matters, as a smaller RDA will give a more concentrated vape. You can mod most RDA to make them perform close/on pair to higher priced (and arguably quality) ones. The RM2 stock is relatively perfect, with the only thing coming to mind that you'd want to mess with being the airhole. Something the RM2 can do that those can't? The way it feeds the juice, which of course you already stated that was a con for you.

Two things on the second point you made. One, I'll take the ability to flood my RDA and have all the excess juice flow back down leaving the coil and wick completely soaked without leaks over dripping a new flavor without corrupting the bottle any day, but that's just my opinion.

Also, if flavor corruption is a concern, why would you want to drip a new flavor in the same wick anyways? You are vaping Bobas Bounty which is loaded on the bottle, then drip Unicorn's Blood on it. Then go back to Boba's Bounty. Flavor wise, you are not going to get the true flavor at all. Unless you drip very similar flavors/weak juices, there will be corruption of flavor not in the bottle but in the wick. I'd rather carry a little igo-s sealed with me and if I want to drip all it takes is unscrewing the RM2 and putting the IGO-S on. At the end of the day, those of us who did dripping for a while are used to the hassle, so changing an RDA is nothing.

This is just my opinion, but I would never use any flavor on my RDA other than the one that's in the bottle. That on its own will hinder the true clean flavor of the juice when the wick starts soaking different ones. Every time I switch flavors, I take the wick out, wash the RDA and dry burn it. For my ADVs, I don't want anything less than their pure true flavor.

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
The RM2 stock is relatively perfect.

Not even close to being perfect, (in my opinion)... The step down on the body is an imperfection. Big design flaw, (in my opinion)... He could've sold 10 times as many of them if it was symmetrical top to bottom... The only positive, (in my opinion), is the ceramic cup that is in it... It's just my opinion, but there will probably be a clone available on FT in the next 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread