Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
While trying to decide on a bottom feeder, I've looked for this information. Now that I have both, here's my review :)

Disclaimer: I've used VMod for about a month, and only had Reo for just a few hours, please take with a grain of salt. And since my reviews are very subjective, maybe with two grains of salt.

Reo Grand vs Vmod XL

The obvious -- price. VMod is about half price of the Reo. With occasional coupons (I haven't seen any coupons for Reo, there may have been some), the difference is even more noticeable.

Both come with extra bottle. VMod includes a very decent atomizer, and a very nice carto. Reo includes a baggie of Noalox

Reo takes a standard threaded 6ml bottle. VMod has a 9ml bottle, but it's proprietary

Vmod is made out of plastic, with thin aluminum cover. Reo is a block of thick aluminum. Makes Reo heavier and sturdier. In all fairness, though, my Vmod survived a month of abuse just fine

Both can be kicked. Both are not as simple to kick as a metal tube mod, but I heard Reo is easier. I haven't tried yet, so I can't speak from experience.

The squonk hole is easier accessible on the VMod. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I've never accidentally pushed it, so I'd say it's good.

Button seems similar. Reo's has a much shorter movement which makes it more sensitive. I don't think it'll be a problem as far as pressing it accidentally. Both buttons are very comfortable either for trigger finger or thumb. Both can be easily found and used in gloves.

VMod has a cone to cover the atty/carto, which has good sides and bad. The cone feels like it would protect the mod's connection from breaking, should your 2 year old kick you in the mod-carrying pocket. It makes for VMod's air control thing that prevents leaks and spills. I don't fully understand that, but it says so on their site. The bad is that it makes the mod look and feel bigger (I know, stupid, since the carto size is still the same, cone or not), and it makes it borderline impossible to use rebuildable atties. I don't have any for the Reo yet, but I fully intend to try.
The cone also makes it a bit more difficult to clean the drip well.

I loved how VMod has spiffy rounded body that feels very comfortable in the hand. Reo's edges are also rounded, but it's much boxier. Strangely, it feels (very subjectively) very comfortable as well. The finish on the Reo feels nicer, and I just can't stop fondling it.

Talking about fondling, the door on the Reo is giving me OCD. I can't stop opening/closing it. I find it fun, and my wife finds it annoying :) The door was a bit rattly, but there's a number of advices on how to take care of it. Took me about 30 seconds and 2 inches of electric tape to stop the rattle.

The boxier feel of Reo has one definite positive side. The VMod and my altoids box mods always seem to turn on their side in my jeans pockets. Reo stays vertical. To VMod's credit, it did not leak when on the side or upside down.

The final and most counter intuitive part. Reo seems much easier to squonk and not to overfill, both with cartos and atomizers. The funny counter intuitive bit is that seems to be the case even with atties/cartos that came with VMod.

TLDR part: I like both, and plan to use both daily. Glad I bought both, and believe the price difference is worth it.

Thank you!
Commie

Attachments

• IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
That was a good summary Commie.

I have to say that the price difference can probably be explained by the old " you get what you pay for" adage.

I would relate it to a Korean dirt bike vs a Honda. Both go up and down and round and round on a track, the Honda just does it longer, better, with less wrenching and usually makes it to the finish line first. Korean bike is about 1/2 the price of the Honda.

I almost always opt high quality thats why I run a Honda mx bike and a REO.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread