Has Bobas taste changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
I live 15 minutes from HMB (w/out traffic). I commute from Sunnyvale to Belmont on a daily basis. It's about a 17 mile drive. The first 14 miles takes me 15 minutes. The last 3 miles takes me 30 minutes. The joys of bay area living :)

BentWookie I think part of it is you being from San Francisco. Driving through San Fran during rush hour trying to get to Half Moon Bay to visit my mother has gotta be one of the most stressful things ever! They are freaking nuts with motorcycles driving between lanes and people cutting you off all the time lol. I'm from Toronto and big city driving is in my blood. San Fran is in a category all on it's own. I also have a lead foot and a very fast car.

That is not a friendly city dude. Back to the current discussion I need sleep anyways.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
Back to the original topic. I have used my very limited experience and limited knowledge of DIY to try to adjust the flavor of BB to what I was expecting. Based on my opinion that

1) flavor is different
2) Vapor production is not what I recall
3) Vapor feel is not the same (not as thick and creamy as I recall)

I have added something to it to compensate. After 24 hours of steeping with my new ingredient I believe it is much like what I was expecting. I don't want to post here openly in the forum in the name of being overly cautious about stepping on anybody's toes, but if you are interested to know what it is I added please feel free to PM me and I would be happy to share with you.

~BW

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
As I dont know bobas until my recent purchase I wonder if the current shortage in supply of tobacco absolute pure has anything to do with why so many feel bobas isnt the same as it was. Maybe ingredients for bobas are in short supply and a substitute was made?

Ave says it wasnt changed so I guess maybe its paranoia? lol

unowner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2012
Norfolk, VA
i just received my replacement bobas.... flavor is missing one HUGE palate, there's no gram cracker flavor ;-| ...? where's my beloved bobas flavor profile??? with the replacement boba, theres definitely reduced tobacco flavor but still its all raisin and honey... its finally vapeable but i wouldnt call this juice my all day vape anymore. *sigh*

icemanx3

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
My order is on its way and I will bring up this thread as soon as I get the package. Hell, though I will vape it, I will be able to tell just from the whiff test if its off. I am talking about Gamel, not BB. I gave up on BB.

Looking forward to your post. I've been waiting to hear if avejuice can return Boba's to it's original flavor (and performance) before I place an order. My co-worker and I are sitting on around 100ML of Boba in multiple 18ML bottles hoping there's someone who can discover a fix for what we have. Until then, it's just sitting.

<EDIT> Just noticed you are talking about Gamel...sigh.

ice

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Looking forward to your post. I've been waiting to hear if avejuice can return Boba's to it's original flavor (and performance) before I place an order. My co-worker and I are sitting on around 100ML of Boba in multiple 18ML bottles hoping there's someone who can discover a fix for what we have. Until then, it's just sitting.

<EDIT> Just noticed you are talking about Gamel...sigh.

ice

Well, I have a belief that if they can't get one liquid right, and the most important liquid at that, then there's no way that the other ones will be consistent. If my order is as it was, then I will at least be able to say something positive. I really wanted to order BB, but, as much as I hate to say it, I think it is a thing of the past. If my latest order is legit, then in my follow-up I'll order a small bottle of BB and let you know.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
All good for me too, I ordered 2x100mls of Bobas and GJ. Tastes and vapes the same as previously. At one point I did get a bad batch within the last couple of years and I sent them a support ticket, shipped it back and got the right bobas/bj fairly quickly.

How is it possible to get the wrong Boba's/GJ from the original source? I don't understand this.

Over the weekend, I will be posting my take on my latest order.

dmatrix7

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Belleville Ontario
How is it possible to get the wrong Boba's/GJ from the original source? I don't understand this.

Over the weekend, I will be posting my take on my latest order.

I think it was just a mix up with the order or bottling. Tasted to me like Blend 4 instead of Bobas/GJ. I have order many times over the years and only once did I have this issue.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I think it was just a mix up with the order or bottling. Tasted to me like Blend 4 instead of Bobas/GJ. I have order many times over the years and only once did I have this issue.

Okay, I completely believe that you feel what you've gotten has been legit, but read this...

This post was referring to my June order that I steeped... I got that amazing honey graham cracker taste... my order I received 2 weeks ago tastes like a different juice all together...

Like I mentioned in my previous post - Ben offered to switch it out for a different batch for me. Such a great guy!

What is in bold makes no sense to me. If Ben is willing to switch out a liquid from a "batch" to another "batch," that tells me the batches are NOT the same (or at least it's an admission that something could have been off). How could something possibly be off for a "stickler" for that sort of thing? Granted, it could be Ben just being a nice guy, but c'mon. Why send someone liquid from a different batch if it's the exact same liquid as the first? And like I said in response to that post, why then wouldn't everyone's liquid be replaced if he is willing to go on record as saying there could possibly be something wrong with a batch?

Understand part of my fervency on this issue is that I just got another order in of Gamel and it is NOT the same (neither was my recent BB, but I am through chasing that). I am ...... and just about done with this vendor. I have been vaping for three years and no "steep, then shake" advice, or "throw it up in the air and your correct liquid will fall down" will help. When I buy a liquid, I want every "batch" to be so much the same that there is no such thing as a separate "batch"--it is only one batch. I have had this issue with only one other vendor that I won't buy from anymore. Their problem is that they are getting their liquids outsourced and they don't have control. Makes me wonder.

dmatrix7, please understand my rant is not about your situation, but an exhaustion of spending my money on inconsistent products and mysteries. I didn't want to say how I felt about my recent order until I could post pics (they are two different colors), but I'll do that soon. Oh, and before anyone says, "well, liquid changes color," just know that the liquid I first got is and was clear as water from jumpstreet, and the new liquid is apricot colored. No apricot colored liquid changes to clear. EVER! Both liquids are 24 mg and they not only taste/smell different, they ARE different. Silliness.

See post #78 for update about the color, not about the taste.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Only thing i can say is I am staring at a bottle of Gamel and a bottle of Blend 4. The blend 4 has that peach color. The Gamel is clear.

When you say clear, you mean like water? See, if that is the case, then that MAY be like my fist bottle I got. I did get another bottle from a friend that was clear(er) and the taste was different from the other two, but since that didn't come directly from Ben, I can't say for sure (though I have no doubt that the person I got it from was legit). That bottle of Gamel I got second hand had an almost fruity taste. The one I wanted had a very pungent, loud, briny, fermented, vinegar smell; the one I just got in the mail a few days ago has some of that fermented taste, but there is a different ingredient in it that tastes very much like some random commercial tobacco flavoring. It's almost as if the main ingredient was short in supply so he cut it with something else. I swear to anyone reading this that I am not imagining anything--none of these liquids are the same (not even close). Luckily I still have my first bottle, the second-hand bottle and the new one. So nobody can say well, maybe I remember incorrectly. They are all different as I have them right in front of me.

I'll take pics when I get back home.

See post #78 for update about the color, not about the taste.

Last edited:

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
It is the slightest bit of pink in it. Ill take a picture when I get home.

When you say clear, you mean like water? See, if that is the case, then that MAY be like my fist bottle I got. I did get another bottle from a friend that was clear(er) and the taste was different from the other two, but since that didn't come directly from Ben, I can't say for sure (though I have no doubt that the person I got it from was legit). That bottle of Gamel I got second hand had an almost fruity taste. The one I wanted had a very pungent, loud, briny, fermented, vinegar smell; the one I just got in the mail a few days ago has some of that fermented taste, but there is a different ingredient in it that tastes very much like some random commercial tobacco flavoring. It's almost as if the main ingredient was short in supply so he cut it with something else. I swear to anyone reading this that I am not imagining anything--none of these liquids are the same (not even close). Luckily I still have my first bottle, the second-hand bottle and the new one. So nobody can say well, maybe I remember incorrectly. They are all different as I have them right in front of me.

I'll take pics when I get back home.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
It is the slightest bit of pink in it. Ill take a picture when I get home.

I just took looked at the two liquids in the same PET bottles (those bottles are totally clear) and the two different Gamel liquids actually look the same to the naked eye. I stand corrected on the color aspect of the two liquids. See, when I get my bottles, I place large quantities in glass, but the bottles from AVE come in LDPE--LDPE is clouds and makes liquids appear darker in color.

Anywho, I still stand by my statement of: The one I wanted had a very pungent, loud, briny, fermented, vinegar smell; the one I just got in the mail a few days ago has some of that fermented taste, but there is a different ingredient in it that tastes very much like some random commercial tobacco flavoring.

I was wrong about the color. I should also say that if the last liquid I got was the first Gamel I would've tasted, it would still be a re-order, but I just want the first one more. I have approximately 15 mL left of the first one and I'll nurse that right along.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
ave 1.jpg

This is why I was under the impression from sight alone that they were not the same. The LDPE bottle makes the liquid look darker.

This is what I learned after putting them in the same kind of container:

ave22.jpg

The one on the right is from my first bottle and the one on the left is my second bottle. From the naked eye there is almost no difference, but the taste IS different. I was able to distinguish them from blind tasting.

That said, when I first got the second order, even with what I thought was two different colors, I did give it a test with an open-as-it-could-be mind, but it didn't satisfy or taste the same way as the first.

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
I just took looked at the two liquids in the same PET bottles (those bottles are totally clear) and the two different Gamel liquids actually look the same to the naked eye. I stand corrected on the color aspect of the two liquids. See, when I get my bottles, I place large quantities in glass, but the bottles from AVE come in LDPE--LDPE is clouds and makes liquids appear darker in color.

Anywho, I still stand by my statement of: The one I wanted had a very pungent, loud, briny, fermented, vinegar smell; the one I just got in the mail a few days ago has some of that fermented taste, but there is a different ingredient in it that tastes very much like some random commercial tobacco flavoring.

I was wrong about the color. I should also say that if the last liquid I got was the first Gamel I would've tasted, it would still be a re-order, but I just want the first one more. I have approximately 15 mL left of the first one and I'll nurse that right along.
Whats up Mann,I have been vaping Gamel for a couple of years but have not had any for awhile till last week ordered some and the color of mine is a very light yellow tint...have not tried this latest one but don't get the vinegar smell from it and from years past never have had any I recall that did either.But who knows I don't have the best sniffer anymore :).

It does seem to me use to be a little less tint(clearer) to it in years past but who knows.Always tasted like a no nonsense tobacco to me,good pallet cleanser sort of like Tampa.I'll try this new batch in a couple of days and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread