Having bad luck with mods lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshallMoore

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2015
I have said many times all mods break sooner or later. I dropped one and It quit working. I had to use an older mod I had for backup and it was usable but would randomly change the wattage. I bought a uwell EVDILO a couple of months ago and it didn't work out of the box. I bought another mod the Vandy Vape Gaur-21. I received it yesterday. I like it but, I think the battery lights are not functioning properly. I used it for 24 hours and the battery indicators report the batteries are still at full charge. Doesn't seem possible. I am just sharing this info. Merry Christmas!

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I have said many times all mods break sooner or later. I dropped one and It quit working. I had to use an older mod I had for backup and it was usable but would randomly change the wattage. I bought a UWELL EVDILO a couple of months ago and it didn't work out of the box.

You have very bad luck with mods @MarshallMoore :(

Everything will break eventually. I've never had a mod stop working after dropping it a few times, but it can happen after any drop if you're really unlucky.

I've just lately had a mod change a setting on me with no apparent input from me but I figured out what was happening and how to deal with it. The reason it happened was that I didn't understand one quirk of how the mod works with Arctic Fox software loaded.

Once in a long while a mod will be dead on arrival but average customer service these days is good enough that you'll get a replacement easily if you bought from a reputable seller.

I bought another mod the Vandy Vape Gaur-21. I received it yesterday. I like it but, I think the battery lights are not functioning properly. I used it for 24 hours and the battery indicators report the batteries are still at full charge. Doesn't seem possible. I am just sharing this info. Merry Christmas!

In this case I would check the battery charge levels with either a digital multimeter or a battery charger that shows charge level. Either of these methods would immediately let you know their charge levels.

Good luck with it :thumb:

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2020
    AZ
    What did ArcticFox do that changed your setting? I just installed it on a mod and will keep and eye out for such things!

AD

Everything will break eventually. I've never had a mod stop working after dropping it a few times, but it can happen after any drop if you're really unlucky.

I've just lately had a mod change a setting on me with no apparent input from me but I figured out what was happening and how to deal with it. The reason it happened was that I didn't understand one quirk of how the mod works with Arctic Fox software loaded.

Once in a long while a mod will be dead on arrival but average customer service these days is good enough that you'll get a replacement easily if you bought from a reputable seller.

In this case I would check the battery charge levels with either a digital multimeter or a battery charger that shows charge level. Either of these methods would immediately let you know their charge levels.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    My SL Class I'm impressed with. It's not had the easiest of lives, but it seems to have put up with my kind of everyday abuse well.

But yes, some mods are better designed and manufactured to deal with punishment better.

And @MarshallMoore, what resistance are you running with the GUAR-21 and how often are you using? As they're the things that'll affect runtime.

MarshallMoore

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2015

It wasn't actually the first time it had been dropped The multimeter is a good idea and I have one. Share this with you. I don't know how many

My SL Class I'm impressed with. It's not had the easiest of lives, but it seems to have put up with my kind of everyday abuse well.

But yes, some mods are better designed and manufactured to deal with punishment better.

And @MarshallMoore, what resistance are you running with the GUAR-21 and how often are you using? As they're the things that'll affect runtime.
    I spent a good amount of time shopping for different mods online. I bought two mods each from different vendors. I noticed for the first time at view the cart or checkout (don't know when this started, maybe old news) they were trying to get me to pay extra for insurance. The claim was if I bought the insurance I would be covered if the mod was lost or stolen during shipping (that implies they would not be). They also claimed the insurance would cover the mod if it arrives DOA (that implies they would not be). The Gaur-21 I ordered mod only and placed an order for the Uwell Valaryin 2 since I had new coils for that here at home the tank came with two coils. I am using the one that came preinstalled It is .32 the other coil it came with is .14.

MarshallMoore

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2015
    This is really inexpensive on this site and more on others. I didn't buy it maybe I will next time. I took two screenshots.
    shipping protection.png

Notice the on-off switch is by default on. This is the cart view. The next image is the checkout view.
    Insurance.png

This is not a good example because it is only 88 cents. Some vendors wanted 8 dollars. It is entirely possible the mod was faulty in their warehouse and therefore you were delivered a faulty device. Then when you report it. They will ask did you purchase the insurance, "No" well we can't help you. The reason I didn't buy it is that I felt it was unnecessary. I may consider buying it next time.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    This is really inexpensive on this site and more on others. I didn't buy it maybe I will next time.

That $.88 charge, or $.99 on some websites, or much higher $ on others....is supposedly for insurance to cover loss, damage, or theft only during its journey from the vendor to the buyer! It is not like a manufacturer's warranty at all...that would cover receiving a faulty device, tank, etc.

You may want to check out the USPS website, to read about what's required to actually prove that a loss, theft, or damage took place while a package was in transit to a buyer. You'll find out, too, that it's the vendor who has to file a claim for it with the USPS...not the buyer. Once a claim is actually filed...there's also a very lengthy period of time (months) before the USPS might actually declare that a loss, theft, or damage indeed took place. Until that happens though...the vendor won't be reimbursed by the USPS, and legally isn't required to pass along any reimbursement to the buyer until then.

Seeking compensation for a lost, damaged, or stolen item stands a better chance of being successful...if the buyer has paid via PayPal or their Credit Card. The buyer can initiate that process, and there's usually a much shorter waiting period before a decision is made to refund the buyer or not.

I, personally, never pay the "shipping insurance" fee that websites like MyVPro, and others, offer. IMO, it's simply a sneaky, money-making thing on their part, to hopefully make buyers think their purchase is more protected than it really is. I say "sneaky"...because the selection of paying for it or not... is set to "ON" or "YES" as the default on the website. If a buyer doesn't notice that at Checkout until after he/she paid...they get the buyer's $ whether they intended to select it or not.

Last edited:

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    This is really inexpensive on this site and more on others. I didn't buy it maybe I will next time. I took two screenshots.
    View attachment 921519
    Notice the on-off switch is by default on. This is the cart view. The next image is the checkout view.
    View attachment 921521
    This is not a good example because it is only 88 cents. Some vendors wanted 8 dollars. It is entirely possible the mod was faulty in their warehouse and therefore you were delivered a faulty device. Then when you report it. They will ask did you purchase the insurance, "No" well we can't help you. The reason I didn't buy it is that I felt it was unnecessary. I may consider buying it next time.

The 88 cents is strictly to cover loss, damage, or theft in shipping. You also have the option to not pay the 88 cents, just slide the little bar over so it does not add to your total.

Reactions: Superuser187

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    That's the type of niggling thing though.... I mean with Christmas. I almost want to think "If I don't pay it CERTAIN vape shops will deliberately lose my item only to say, "You need our shipping insurance."

I mean I get it with the unreliability of things of late, and etc., but well, if an Amazon item ever gets lost through prime, they make it right.

They also charge like 70 bucks a year for that privilege though and deliver on Sundays, so maybe I am not thinking about it clearly. IDK.

Anna

MarshallMoore

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2015
    That $.88 charge, or $.99 on some websites, or much higher $ on others....is supposedly for insurance to cover loss, damage, or theft only during its journey from the vendor to the buyer! It is not like a manufacturer's warranty at all...that would cover receiving a faulty device, tank, etc.

You may want to check out the USPS website, to read about what's required to actually prove that a loss, theft, or damage took place while a package was in transit to a buyer. You'll find out, too, that it's the vendor who has to file a claim for it with the USPS...not the buyer. Once a claim is actually filed...there's also a very lengthy period of time (months) before the USPS might actually declare that a loss, theft, or damage indeed took place. Until that happens though...the vendor won't be reimbursed by the USPS, and legally isn't required to pass along any reimbursement to the buyer until then.

Seeking compensation for a lost, damaged, or stolen item stands a better chance of being successful...if the buyer has paid via PayPal or their Credit Card. The buyer can initiate that process, and there's usually a much shorter waiting period before a decision is made to refund the buyer or not.

I, personally, never pay the "shipping insurance" fee that websites like MyVPro, and others, offer. IMO, it's simply a sneaky, money-making thing on their part, to hopefully make buyers think their purchase is more protected than it really is. I say "sneaky"...because the selection of paying for it or not... is set to "ON" or "YES" as the default on the website. If a buyer doesn't notice that at Checkout until after he/she paid...they get the buyer's $ whether they intended to select it or not.
    I used to sell furniture and appliances. I made a good commission on extended warranties. Consumer Reports advises not to buy however, you could be the one in a few hundred that needed it.

Reactions: stols001

MarshallMoore

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2015
    That's the type of niggling thing though.... I mean with Christmas. I almost want to think "If I don't pay it CERTAIN vape shops will deliberately lose my item only to say, "You need our shipping insurance."

I mean I get it with the unreliability of things of late, and etc., but well, if an Amazon item ever gets lost through prime, they make it right.

They also charge like 70 bucks a year for that privilege though and deliver on Sundays, so maybe I am not thinking about it clearly. IDK.

Anna
    I have been an Amazon customer for years. They made it right and it was hassle-free a couple of times they told me I didn't have to return the damaged merchandise

MarshallMoore

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2015
    The 88 cents is strictly to cover loss, damage, or theft in shipping. You also have the option to not pay the 88 cents, just slide the little bar over so it does not add to your total.
    Yes, I know how, I just do not like it added to my cart by default without being asked if I wanted it in my cart.

MarshallMoore

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2015

I agree. For them to add it to my cart by default with no prior mention makes me feel like they are trying to sneak one in on me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread