Having problems with carto and tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, so I was given an eGo-c upgrade with a carto tank a while back and I recently purchased some juice and cartons for it. I went into a local vapor lounge and the guy there helped me with some low resistance cartomizers (one large sized hole) and a free drip tip (thanks yelp!) he suggested a low resistance since I have a fixed voltage VP.

so thanks to the carto master here I prepped my carto, filled my tank and went at it. I have been experiencing some issues though, I believe it's called a dry hit? So I tried the quick puff without pushing the button trick, kind of helped but I still get the burnt taste fairly quickly. I'm not sure what made me try this but I held the VP in a way so the hole in the carto was exposed (no juice able to get in) and did a quick puff without pushing the button. What I see is the padding inside going white with my quick puff and when I stop it quickly turns back to the wet red like it should. So I assume it should be hitting correctly when the juice is covering the hole??

Any suggestions?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
May need more holes in the carto to wick properly, what pg/vg ratio are you using?
What brand & size carto are you using?
How did you prime it?
If the carto was primed and is wicking properly you should be able to get 10 - 20 puffs without burning even with the tank empty.
You should see bubbles coming from the hole occasionally.

Most of the time when you get a burnt taste from a carto it is done, time to change carto.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The carto should be fully saturated before it goes into the tank. Putting some scotch tape around the carto holes when giving it a first filling helps. What size carto are you using? 1.7 ohm single coil cartos will give you a nice warm vape but they are easy to burn if not fully saturated. 2.0 ohm are a slightly cooler and not quite as easy to burn.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I have that same problem when I'm using Boba's Bounty in a carto tank. Boba is 100% VG and is very thick. I'm using a two hole carto but I still have wicking issues sometimes with it. I think next time I buy replacement cartos for my tanks I'm going to get the slotted kind for better wicking.
I punch my own cartos and use either four small holes or three larger holes with 95% VG juice. All holes are punched around the lower part of single coil cartos.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
Carto tanks are fiddly. If you have a fixed battery I too suggest 1.7-1.8 ohm carto's. Also wouldn't use scotch tape, you can just cut one of the rubber caps (condom) and make a sleeve to cover the holes when filling or unpowered pulls to fully saturate.

If you have a metal beauty ring, the kind that comes with protanks, you can cut all the air off and do unpowered hits when screwed onto the battery. Do this until you see some bubbles come out from the holes/slots. This will have to be done every once in a while to make sure you don't get burnt hits.

VP? I think you mean PV . Also don't use the sleeve thing anymore when filling (I use the condom method - mouth end first and watch battery end for juice coming out). Many different ways to do the same thing. Do what feels best for you and enjoy. Welcome and happy vaping. p.s I also use carto tanks most often, just really like the vape. Next step is getting a variable voltage battery, less worried about the ohm of the toppers you use.

image.jpg Sorry about the delayed answers, been pretty busy.

I'm not sure how frequently I would take a puff... Should I only puff once every minute? I'm not like making a constant cloud.

So the carto I have has one large hole, comes in a pack of 5 not sure what brand it is. I will post a pic at the end of this text. There is a sticker with specs however: 510D XML LR prepunched 2.3mm

Regarding the thickness.... It does not show on the bottle of the juice! I purchased them from a local vapor lounge. I think they make their own since the label has their store symbol on it. What it does have on it is 12mg 11-2013 guessing the size of the bottle and date, or the nic level and date. Maybe I could call and find out.

And I prepped it using bads (I think that was his name) method. I posted a time ago and he was very helpful on prepping the carto. Used the thermometer method. Filling and shaking it like a thermometer.

I have a fixed voltage eGo-c not sure how many ohms... And it has been sitting on my desk for a day without use because all I get is burn and usually when I pick it back up it will give me a puff or two but not this time. I covered the holes and puffed and then tried again to no avail. I puffed a few times anyways trying to see bubbles but nothing. This is aggravating

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
After a carto burns there is nothing you can do to make it better/recover it, time to replace carto.

Dump the juice most likely it is tainted with burnt flavor, prime new carto an xl carto takes 30 - 50 drops (depending on size of drops), insert into tank, fill tank, take 2 - 12 puffs without pressing button watch for bubbles.

If you don't see any bubbles ever, one of the orings isn't sealing, orings that don't seal well cause wicking problems.
The carto should fit tight in the tank.

Last edited:

Jsucool76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Boca Raton, FL
+1 to topwater elvis:

burnt taste doesnt leave a carto, once its burnt its burnt. I liked to fill my cartos with a syringe, and push the syringe needle slightly into the carto "filler material" so that it would load up the carto a little quicker.

i'll also usually put a few drops on each of the punches on the carto (mine are always 2 punch), and i'll see it just get sucked right into the carto. I'll also drip right on the top. I always figured if i got each part of the carto wet it would ensure that i wouldnt burn out my carto.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
:( not what I wanted to hear. It is a brand new cargo, only puffed maybe 25 times on it. What a waste of juice! Filling it the first time took half my bottle :(

Yeah, that's the bad part of the learning curve. The good thing is, cartos are cheap. The juice, not so much. I've found that if you're going to use a carto, don't use small sample bottles, for this very reason. I got some small dripping attys for that very purpose:

Smoktech EGO MEGA Dual Coil Cartomizers

They were on sale at my local B&M, and I have to say, they're great! I have a bunch of small sample bottles, and they're prefect for them. They're easy to prime with about 10 drops, and they make a LOT of vapor, as they're 1.8 ohm.

Edit: Just noticed this is the EGO model - I have the 510 version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread