Having some trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh-Horrocks

Mar 7, 2016
Hey, new to the forum but having a bit of trouble after just starting to re-build in my Billow V2 rta, battery is the eleaf istick 40w
I'm trying to build a coil at around 1ohm so that i can then dual this to achieve an overall 0.5ohm build. Using 26g kanthal wire, I have tried wrapping the coil between 6 and 12 times around a 2.0 bit on the UD coil rig, however each time I then insert this on to the deck, and read the ohms with my battery, they read between 0.06 and 0.09 ohm. I have used an online calculator to work out how many wraps are required however they always read between these two ohms, and the display shows the atomizer low display.
Any help appreciated :)
Thanks, Josh.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
That did occur to me also....Its in the right ball-park for what OP is seeing...:)

ps. now then missy, havent you got your own brand new Roxy super-atty to be testing?!?!

I think I've maxed out testing when I ran out of power :). It can vape over 200W. How much more I may never know since that was all the power I had. Now I'm just enjoying it.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I think I've maxed out testing when I ran out of power :). It can vape over 200W. How much more I may never know since that was all the power I had. Now I'm just enjoying it.
Wow!!!! Hope you make your own juice lol!!! Knowing you, you probs have some crazy quad clapton build in there...I'll check out your thread!! Cool :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm beginning to wonder if my Smok Koopor Plus 200W has a glitch in temperature control. I vape it mostly with a 1.6 ohm 28ga Kanthal coil and it's a wonderful vape. The sizzle sounds like my 800hz Provari and the vape is smooth and tasty.

I've tried it with Ti and SS 316L. It's hot and noisy/crackly even at 300 degrees in TC mode. At 200 degrees it vapes hotter than I want, crackles loudly, and goes into over temp cutoff, which is understandable at that temp. I couldn't imagine going to 400 degrees or more. On Ti or SS 316L it vapes fine in wattage mode using those same coils.

I've used the stock and suggested TCR constants, so it should be maintaining accuracy in controlling the temp. In Ti mode the TCR is 0.00350. In SS mode the TCR is 0.00088.

Specs say that it will operate in TC mode from .08 to 3.00 ohms in TC mode and .1 to 3.00 ohms in wattage mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I'm beginning to wonder if my Smok Koopor Plus 200W has a glitch in temperature control. I vape it mostly with a 1.6 ohm 28ga Kanthal coil and it's a wonderful vape. The sizzle sounds like my 800hz Provari and the vape is smooth and tasty.

I've tried it with Ti and SS 316L. It's hot and noisy/crackly even at 300 degrees in TC mode. At 200 degrees it vapes hotter than I want, crackles loudly, and goes into over temp cutoff, which is understandable at that temp. I couldn't imagine going to 400 degrees or more. On Ti or SS 316L it vapes fine in wattage mode using those same coils.

I've used the stock and suggested TCR constants, so it should be maintaining accuracy in controlling the temp. In Ti mode the TCR is 0.00350. In SS mode the TCR is 0.00088.

Specs say that it will operate in TC mode from .08 to 3.00 ohms in TC mode and .1 to 3.00 ohms in wattage mode.
I'm having similar issues. Seems the device is fine with the stock values, but ignores custom TCR values. I get a decent vape with a Ti or SS316 coil, but lit the 6%#=_€\ on fire with a SS 430 set to .00138 ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Hey, new to the forum but having a bit of trouble after just starting to re-build in my Billow V2 RTA, battery is the eLeaf iStick 40w
I'm trying to build a coil at around 1ohm so that i can then dual this to achieve an overall 0.5ohm build. Using 26g kanthal wire, I have tried wrapping the coil between 6 and 12 times around a 2.0 bit on the UD coil rig, however each time I then insert this on to the deck, and read the ohms with my battery, they read between 0.06 and 0.09 ohm. I have used an online calculator to work out how many wraps are required however they always read between these two ohms, and the display shows the atomizer low display.
Thanks, Josh.

Can you post a picture of your build? I'm leaning with the "it might be nickel" crowd but MMW could be right. The Billow V2 (my favorite tank) has a very tight build deck.

Reactions: MMW

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Hey, new to the forum but having a bit of trouble after just starting to re-build in my Billow V2 RTA, battery is the eLeaf iStick 40w
Thanks, Josh.
I have found, at least with contact coils, that their final resistance doesn't occur until they have been fired and pressed. A newly wrapped contact coil ' s resistance will be quit a bit lower ( because it's really shorting out) straight from wrapping, so to get its working resistance (like what you might see in a calculator ) it needs to be fired and played with, which will eliminate the shorts and the resistance will increase. Hopefully that was sort of your question, I wasn't quit sure

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Also you may want to check the amp limit on the istick, although you may think it could run as low as a .4 ohm coil, there are other limitations to said device. I don't own an istick, but it seems like a rinky dink mod to be running dual coils so close to its low resistance cut off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
Using 26g kanthal wire, I have tried wrapping the coil between 6 and 12 times around a 2.0 bit on the UD coil rig, however each time I then insert this on to the deck, and read the ohms with my battery, they read between 0.06 and 0.09 ohm.

You have a short. Perhaps coil touching wall of your atty.

I routinely wrap dual 26g kanthal coils for a total 0.5Ω to use on a istick 40 (wife's adv). Mod works fine with it.

Sent with Tapatalk

Reactions: Btsmokincat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread