Status
Not open for further replies.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Too bad there's issues with these. They look great, have a great chip inside and are priced well. I thought I read that these were made in the US, is that true?

If you want a small DNA75, look at the SMY SDNA75, I have 3 and not one issue. $25 cheaper as well.

Reactions: Ed_C

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
If you want a small DNA75, look at the SMY SDNA75, I have 3 and not one issue. $25 cheaper as well.
Yeah, I've seen those for the same price of a dna chip. I know they get the chips for less than you can buy one, but still such a great price. If I was in the market, I'd jump on one and I still might.

Carnage9270

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2015
Washington
If they were 24mm I would consider it. But frankly I'm not having any issues with this one. Threads could be better, but nothing serious for me.

anthropolyte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2016
Bristol, UK
...but this also doesn't have Chinese electronics that will blow up or catch fire if you charge via USB.

This kind of comment really irritates the crap out of me. So many people still assume that Chinese electronics are sub-par, despite the vast, vast majority of electronic components worldwide being manufactured in China. If you want to limit your view to the world of vaping - as most people know, the SX chips are superb, reliable, and designed and built in China. Don't assume that just because something is made in 'murica, it's better.

Reactions: FreeZen

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
This kind of comment really irritates the crap out of me. So many people still assume that Chinese electronics are sub-par, despite the vast, vast majority of electronic components worldwide being manufactured in China. If you want to limit your view to the world of vaping - as most people know, the SX chips are superb, reliable, and designed and built in China. Don't assume that just because something is made in 'murica, it's better.

There's good reason most people think charging via USB is bad and that's because of cheap Chinese mods that are faulty. Many of them even state in their user manual not to charge via USB. The Evolv DNAxxx boards have never had this issue at all so it's not assumption when it's proven fact. And the SX chips are hardly superb.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
It's a shame they still made the battery cap as lousy as they did on the VT40's. I use a pair of tweezers just to swap out my battery because my cap's threads are now stripped. Was actually looking forward to the Vt75 Nano

While I like to rotate my batteries, as "KTMRider" said above, this one may be better suited to USB charge in the device. Not sure if I will buy a 2nd one.

Reactions: DPLongo22

Caver

Jun 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I may have "fixed" my battery cap issue.

First, I cleaned off the threads of the cap & the mod with some alcohol, q-tips and a tooth brush. Despite looking clean under a magnifier I got a fair amount of "crud" off the threads.

Secondly...this thing needs a very gentle touch removing and installing the cap. Much of any pressure pushing into the mod or pulling it out induces the binding. At the first hint of binding, I stop and back up about 1/8th turn and start back in/out. If I'm very careful, I can switch batteries without resorting to tools to get the cap off.

I feel this does point to a design flaw in the threading...which is too bad...otherwise I love this mod. I wish this battery cap was as smooth as the one on the full size VT75!

I'm going to play with this for another day or two and decide if I'm going to use the RMA my vendor sent me today. Don't know if I'm all that interested in a second one though.

I'm also looking at the SMY SDNA75 mentioned a few posts up to add to my "vapocalypse" stash. Good sale for black ones at $49 right now!

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Got my nano today, looks are awesome, but damn your right, the battery cap they really failed on, I couldn't unscrew it at all, in the end I had to use grips on it to get it off and back on and was very concerned I would break the cap, but now on, I will use usb charging.

Not to get in the bashing, but makes me laugh when people say they won't trust a mod to charge because of china made, really? where do you think the external chargers are made....CHINA, external chargers can go wrong, your cell phone can go wrong while charging, anything with electric going through it can fail, in 3 and half years of vaping, always charged on the mod when I can, and not to jinx myself, but none of my mods blown up yet.

Anyway enough of that rubbish, pic of my nano :)

zeKVqC1.jpg

KTMRider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 5, 2014
    NJ
    Got my nano today, looks are awesome, but damn your right, the battery cap they really failed on, I couldn't unscrew it at all, in the end I had to use grips on it to get it off and back on and was very concerned I would break the cap, but now on, I will use usb charging.

Not to get in the bashing, but makes me laugh when people say they won't trust a mod to charge because of china made, really? where do you think the external chargers are made....CHINA, external chargers can go wrong, your cell phone can go wrong while charging, anything with electric going through it can fail, in 3 and half years of vaping, always charged on the mod when I can, and not to jinx myself, but none of my mods blown up yet.

Anyway enough of that rubbish, pic of my nano :)

zeKVqC1.jpg
    Part of the reason is because at least a few Cloupor Minis spontaneously combusted on a few people reinforcing the idea.

I've always charged in the mod myself and have had no issues.

Reactions: Nailz

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2013
    Flat Rock, MI, USA
    I don't think it's dangerous to charge internally with a DNA chip. However if I'm forced to because of a bad cap design. That takes all of the advantage away of being able to easily swap batteries on the fly. For me with a single cell mod, that's a deal breaker.

Cheers,
    Steve

Last edited:

Nailz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I agree with that part, I really like the mod, but definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to change out batteries.

I am quite surprised by the bad battery cap from HCigar, personally thought they was one of the better china manufactures, and think the actually design of not having to use a coin etc to open/close is good, but guess the QC failed and they probably rushed it out before the regs.

Still glad I got mine, but wouldn't be happy if I was wanting to switch out batteries out often though.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread