Health Effects of Counterfeit Cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A note to the e-cigarette community

20 FEB
Editors Note: CRE is interested in the views of the e-cigarette community on the February 17 post Center for Regulatory Effectiveness (CRE) Provides FDA with Evidence Which Compels an Examination of the Health Effects of Counterfeit Cigarettes « A Public Participation Forum for the FDA Advisory Committee (TPSAC) which describes the extremely adverse health effects sustained from smoking counterfeit cigarettes.

It seems that the Center for Regulatory Effectiveness might have been duly impressed with the thoughtful responses on e-cigarette safety (How Safe Are E-Cigarettes? « A Public Participation Forum for the FDA Advisory Committee (TPSAC) ) and would like our input on the tobacco "black market".

Center for Regulatory Effectiveness (CRE) Provides FDA with Evidence Which Compels an Examination of the Health Effects of Counterfeit Cigarettes

17 FEB
Notwithstanding a law that directs the FDA tobacco Advisory Committee to review the health effects of counterfeit tobacco, the Tobacco Advisory Committee continues to ignore the law. In response to this dereliction of duty, the Center for Regulatory Effectiveness sent the following email to the FDA and its Advisory Committee.

It should be noted that when FDA regulates tobacco it is imperative that it not be able to pick and choose at will which studies are to be considered and those which are to be ignored; it must examine the totality of the record. It is difficult to understand why an agency charged with protecting public health would not want to examine the health effects of counterfeit cigarettes which are recognized throughout the world as having a demonstrable record of extremely adverse health impacts.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It would be good to give whatever assistance we can - but I wonder if the e-cigarette community has anything useful to say about the counterfeit cigarettes issue?

The closest we probably come to this subject is the prospect of being forced back to smoking by government bans, in which case the cost of tobacco is probably not the primary issue for us - it would be obtaining black market supplies of e-cigarette parts and refills wherever possible. You can't put a price on your health, so if the cost of e-liquids rose fivefold due to bans, people would probably still pay. Just as they would if the price rise was caused by tax additions.

One interesting question that occurs to me, though, is: which is the more dangerous to the consumer - a counterfeit cigarette or one of these new ones with fireproof paper?

:)

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
While I've been very pleased with CRE's actions to date regarding the FDA and its TPSAC, and while I'm pleased they've criticized the TPSAC for failing to address (so far) the counterfeit cigarette issue in its menthol cigarette review, I don't understand why CRE wants the FDA TPSAC to study the potential health impact of counterfeit menthol cigarettes.

The biggest problems created by a new counterfeit menthol cigarette market are not likely to include health, but rather massive crime wave, corruption by government officials, and loss of cigarette tax and settlement revenue. The one health problem that a new counterfeit menthol cigarette market could create is a possible increase in menthol cigarette consumption, which could occur if the untaxed counterfeit menthol cigarettes are priced lower than currently tax menthol cigarettes.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
<snip>

One interesting question that occurs to me, though, is: which is the more dangerous to the consumer - a counterfeit cigarette or one of these new ones with fireproof paper?

:)

I thought of that, too, roly. I know there are several ECF members, and others I've talked to, who have said that they never had any health problems until the "fire-safe" cigs came out. It just infuriates me that "they" think no more of smokers than to add poison to cigarette paper without any kind of forethought or testing whatsoever.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
I thought of that, too, roly. I know there are several ECF members, and others I've talked to, who have said that they never had any health problems until the "fire-safe" cigs came out. It just infuriates me that "they" think no more of smokers than to add poison to cigarette paper without any kind of forethought or testing whatsoever.

Now that I think about it, I didn't have any problems with my blood pressure until after we started having to use those "fire-safe" cigarettes and then within a year of having to use them all the time I started having problems with my blood pressure going up and out of control which then led to my mild heart attack around this time last year. :mad:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That's a ditto here on FSC/RIP smokes. I only reluctantly bought my first e cig when my gf suggested them because I had issues with the new paper. I started coughing and wheezing on them when they came to PA so I bought in VA and the symptoms disappeared. Then VA went FSC, I started back with the symptoms. Gone almost instantly after starting vaping.

freakindahouse

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Gloucester
I gather there is a feeling in some quarters that this regulatory watchdog, the CRE, doesn't have much power at all. However, I disagree, since they are calling the FDA to account for specific legal omissions and misdemeanours on the FDA's part.

Alongside the three (and counting!) US Court rulings so far, this kind of oversight activity can only be a good thing.

Just my humble.... ;)

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
If anyone's interested, I've been blogging about this tonight! Warning: It's a long one! ;)
I've also posted it in various forums as a call to action, since this is one of the best opportunities I've seen in a LONG time to tell people with power how we feel - and to get the TRUTH out there.

In your blog you state the CRE an agency. It is private lobbying group. It doesn't have any official function with the government. However it has been a thorn in the side of the FDA by making it adhere to it's own rules.

About Us « A Public Participation Forum for the FDA Advisory Committee (TPSAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread