Hello from a n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

My name is Dave. The PNW is Pacific Northwest. Go Seahawks. Go Mariners.

I've been an analog user for 30+ years. Quit a couple times. Maybe 2+ years analog-free in that time.

A few years ago (when analogs went up over $5 a pack) I switched to RYO. I've been buying one-pound bags of Good Stuff Red with three cartons of Premiere tubes. I've been spending about 87 cents a pack for analogs.

I bought two disposable EZ-Cigs from my favorite tobacco vendor a few weeks ago (Not in one visit).

After a week I knew I wanted something that didn't have to look or feel like an analog. Went back to my favorite vendor and came home with a Vision Spinner and a Kangertech Protank. WAY more effective like I don't probably need to tell you. I was quite pleased after I Googled "Vision Spinner reviews" and "Kangertech Protank reviews". I definitely feel like I made a good choice.

I have a good mechanical/electrical aptitude. I know the vaporizer component doesn't last forever. I have tasted the burnt cardboard. I disassembled the "burnt cardboard" atomizer and then performed two measurements on the wire: 1) length of the wire piece -and- 2) resistance of the wire piece. From there I calculated the ohms-per-foot resistance of the wire stock I believe was used for that atomizer.

Yes, I want to rebuild my own atomizers. Having said that, I know the rubber cup and wire insulator don't last forever either.

Does anyone have a line on replacement cups and insulators for the Kangertech Protank atomizers? Or does everyone just buy a handful of replacement atomizers and rebuild them until those rubber parts fall apart?

I have two five-packs of 2.5 ohm vaporizers that should be arriving in the mail any minute now. ($5.95 for 5 instead of $5.95 each from local supplier!)

Thank you all in advance for any tips, advice, or recommendations. I'm shopping for wick and wire. Around 15 ohms/ft by my calculations.

-Dave

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello and Welcome to ecf. Plenty of info here. Once you have 5 post(wait an hr for service to update) and you can post anywhere here on ecf. Or you can start reading anytime. I don't re-build but there are plenty who do. In the search box top right of page, type in a keyword or phrase and find what you are looking for. Not the best search engine, but should head you in right direction. If not, I am sure someone will be along shortly to help.
How long have you been vaping?

:)

Sambuca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Albuquerque
Hi all:

My name is Dave. The PNW is Pacific Northwest. Go Seahawks. Go Mariners.

I've been an analog user for 30+ years. Quit a couple times. Maybe 2+ years analog-free in that time.

A few years ago (when analogs went up over $5 a pack) I switched to RYO. I've been buying one-pound bags of Good Stuff Red with three cartons of Premiere tubes. I've been spending about 87 cents a pack for analogs.

I bought two disposable EZ-Cigs from my favorite tobacco vendor a few weeks ago (Not in one visit).

After a week I knew I wanted something that didn't have to look or feel like an analog. Went back to my favorite vendor and came home with a Vision Spinner and a Kangertech Protank. WAY more effective like I don't probably need to tell you. I was quite pleased after I Googled "Vision Spinner reviews" and "Kangertech Protank reviews". I definitely feel like I made a good choice.

I have a good mechanical/electrical aptitude. I know the vaporizer component doesn't last forever. I have tasted the burnt cardboard. I disassembled the "burnt cardboard" atomizer and then performed two measurements on the wire: 1) length of the wire piece -and- 2) resistance of the wire piece. From there I calculated the ohms-per-foot resistance of the wire stock I believe was used for that atomizer.

Yes, I want to rebuild my own atomizers. Having said that, I know the rubber cup and wire insulator don't last forever either.

Does anyone have a line on replacement cups and insulators for the Kangertech Protank atomizers? Or does everyone just buy a handful of replacement atomizers and rebuild them until those rubber parts fall apart?

I have two five-packs of 2.5 ohm vaporizers that should be arriving in the mail any minute now. ($5.95 for 5 instead of $5.95 each from local supplier!)

Thank you all in advance for any tips, advice, or recommendations. I'm shopping for wick and wire. Around 15 ohms/ft by my calculations.

-Dave

i think everyone just rebuilds them until they fall apart. you could always check Lowe's or Home Depot.

wick and wire are cheapest at Amazon:

Amazon.com: silica wick

Lightning Vapes LLC @ Amazon.com: kanthal wire

have you heard of Mount Baker Vapor?

USA Made Nicotine Juice, E Juice, E Liquid, Electronic Cigarette Juice

lots of inexpensive Juice and DIY stuff. coupon vaporfrombaker is 10% off. 1 free 15mil sample of juice if you spend more than $15, free shipping over $50

MBV thread here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/285341-mtbakervapor-1473.html

compared to local juice prices, MBV is a steal!

and bonus points for spelling n00b right!

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
If you're a tinkerer like I am then rebuilding will be a snap. There are a ton of vids on utube you can search and get good information by watching them. Start simple. I bought a 5 pack of atomizer heads and will simply order more when/if I need them. I got lucky and a local shop carried the wire and silica I was looking for. Rebuilding your own is cheaper and you can tinker with them for increased/decreased resistance, flow and flavor. Have fun and welcome to the new addiction!

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
Last edited:
Sorry for falling asleep at the wheel, all. I want to thank you all for the warm reception, advice and links.

@atx_cloud: Thank you, Cloud. Wow. This forum moves fast. I posted four days ago and this is already on page 29. God bless the internet.

@Sugar_and_Spice: I've only been vaping a little over two weeks. I found it interesting that one post eerily and accurately described the progression of thought for a new vaper:

<Rod Serling>
One: You will want something that looks and feels like an analog.
Two: You will realize that the disposable look-alikes won't perform and you will concede to buying something that doesn't look like an analog.
Three: You will want a flavor that tastes like tobacco. You will be vaping Washington apple and honeydew melon right now.
</Rod Serling>

Okay, it didn't predict the flavors...

@Sambuca: Many a night I don't recall because of that sweet anise-flavored liqueur. Thank you for the links. I have some new Google Chrome bookmarks. I bought the atomizers from discountvapers.com. They're good in my book. "n00b" and "d00d" are always spelled with a double-ought. :)

@AgaveHound: I've watched a bunch of those rebuild videos. I received my atties from Discount Vapers about ten minutes after I made that first post. I'm researching my purchase for wick and wire as I compose this reply.

@ghola1was: Thank you. That pdf is now sitting on my desktop. I have three formulas that are inter-relational with each other. All three determine one unknown from two knowns. The variables are:

(R) Resistance of wire piece
(L) Length of wire piece (in inches)
(O) Resistance per foot in Ohms

R = O / (12/L)
L = 12 / (O/R)
O = R x (12/L)

The "12" dividend constant in each equation is simply converting feet to inches.

@all:

I do know that vaping has lessened my desire for analogs greatly. I'm still weaning but analogs don't provide near as much satisfaction as they used to. When I'm vaping I enjoy it. When I'm smoking I wish I was vaping.

Chantix took away the enjoyment and satisfaction of smoking analogs. Vaping just seems to... Rule?

-Dave

Last edited:

MorningDawn73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Puyallup, WA, USA
Hello and Welcome to ecf. Plenty of info here. Once you have 5 post(wait an hr for service to update) and you can post anywhere here on ecf. Or you can start reading anytime. I don't re-build but there are plenty who do. In the search box top right of page, type in a keyword or phrase and find what you are looking for. Not the best search engine, but should head you in right direction. If not, I am sure someone will be along shortly to help.
How long have you been vaping? :)
I'm no help in the whole DIY stuff but welcome to ecf!! :) ^^^ What Sugar & Spice said, you can post anywhere in the new members forum and then once you reach five posts you'll be able to branch out and post to the other forums.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
Hello, and welcome!

I have not started re-coiling yet but been reading and watching in preparation.

The 32g and 34g kanthal wires seems to be the most commonly used.

Instead of sillica wick, you can also use cotton. Peaches and cream yarn is popular. Down side is you can't dry burn to clean. Must be replaced.

I just saved a few of the heads in the used drawer after their useful live to be worked on later. And replacements are cheap.

Good luck.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Like Choc_Addic stated. Silica wicks work good and can be dry burned. Peaches and Cream from Wal Mart is cheap, can't be dry burned and should be boiled before use.

I use 32g kanthal from TemCo on clearo heads, they are on Ebay and have their own website. Although last time I ordered it was cheaper on Ebay. You can get many different gauges of wire from them, and they ship very quickly.

You will most likely move on to rebuildable atomizers, lots of information on ECF about all this stuff.

Welcome to ECF, and if you aren't careful you will make a hobby out of vaping.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Hey guys! I'm just another vape noob, don't even know if I'm allowed to post a new thread... but that's ok, I will read (a lot) and (hopefully) learn. :blush:

You can start threads in the new members forum.

Welcome to ECF, might want to read the stickies and rules in the new members forum.

@MorningDawn73: Thank you MorningDawn. You're in my neighborhood. Are you enjoying the fair traffic these days? I work and commute through/in it. Two more weeks and it's over. :)

@justinonymous: Thanks Justin. I am. Win or lose, we got spirit. And we just set the record for the loudest stadium ever??? Bonus!

@Choc_Addict: Thank you Choc_Addict. I think I've found that 32ga is going to be the way to go. I've got bookmarks for that wire that's 13 point something ohms/foot. I have to ask: Why peaches and cream? I do have my atomizer cores stashed away for a future rebuild.

@all: I did receive those two five-packs of 2.5 ohm atomizers in the mail within an hour of when I made my first post. So I've got atomizers to hold me over until I make my wire and wick decision. I purchased (unwisely from local supplier because you know I have to have it NOW) another Kangertech Protank so I could switch vape flavors on the go without the cleaning and prepping issue. This impulse buying will stop, I swear.

Just came back from an analog... liking it less and less.

-Dave

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
@MorningDawn73: Thank you MorningDawn. You're in my neighborhood. Are you enjoying the fair traffic these days? I work and commute through/in it. Two more weeks and it's over. :)

@justinonymous: Thanks Justin. I am. Win or lose, we got spirit. And we just set the record for the loudest stadium ever??? Bonus!

@Choc_Addict: Thank you Choc_Addict. I think I've found that 32ga is going to be the way to go. I've got bookmarks for that wire that's 13 point something ohms/foot. I have to ask: Why peaches and cream? I do have my atomizer cores stashed away for a future rebuild.

@all: I did receive those two five-packs of 2.5 ohm atomizers in the mail within an hour of when I made my first post. So I've got atomizers to hold me over until I make my wire and wick decision. I purchased (unwisely from local supplier because you know I have to have it NOW) another Kangertech Protank so I could switch vape flavors on the go without the cleaning and prepping issue. This impulse buying will stop, I swear.

Just came back from an analog... liking it less and less.

-Dave

The white Peaches and Cream is cheap, has no dye, is 100% cotton. And the size of the strands makes it easy to work with. Just about all the good things you want from cotton, without the bad stuff. Boiling it to remove any trace of residue from manufacturing is still recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread