Hello from a non-smoker intrigued by e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLeigh

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Wisconsin
I could not agree more with you. Sometimes I am appalled by the anti-smoking rhetoric coming from the mouths of people on this board. It reeks not of the so-called "stench" of smoking but of the more seriously troubling stench of hypocrisy. So, you have been a vaper for a week or a month and suddenly those "filthy smokers" disgust and appall you??? Guess that's why I still smoke at least one cigarette a day. I could never align myself with those who either call themselves anti-smokers or behave and react to smokers according to the party line. THAT is disgusting to me.

I was *just* about to post on this subject a few days ago. I had seen another post from a new vapor who "couldn't believe how this or that smoker stank" or something along those lines, and I just wanted to start screaming. Those "stinky people" were YOU one (or however long) week ago, and it's that type of attitude that has led to where we are today --adults who choose to smoke being treated like lepers and charged massive taxes for the privilege of being treated like a leper.

68stang

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
USA
I was *just* about to post on this subject a few days ago. I had seen another post from a new vapor who "couldn't believe how this or that smoker stank" or something along those lines, and I just wanted to start screaming. Those "stinky people" were YOU one (or however long) week ago, and it's that type of attitude that has led to where we are today --adults who choose to smoke being treated like lepers and charged massive taxes for the privilege of being treated like a leper.

but we did STINK...I feel so bad now for my friends and fiance for putting them through that......i was the stinky one!!! NOOOO

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Exactly. Buying into the anti-smoker rhetoric, especially for smokers/vapers, is disgusting.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
but we did STINK...I feel so bad now for my friends and fiance for putting them through that......i was the stinky one!!! NOOOO
I don't even understand this. If you stunk so bad, why did your friends still hang out with you? Perfume makes me nauseous, but I do not expect my friends to stop wearing it or apologize to me for doing so.

Illuminate

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Boston
I had to reread the OP. She never mentioned vaping with Nicotine. Perhaps she likes the flavor minus the Nic. That being said, I think we all have to endure the responsibility of educating people who ask us about these products. We started using them because we had a pre-existing addiction to Cigarettes and are actively trying to reduce our exposure to the carcinogens and other harmful pollutants in them...At least that's why I did.

JLeigh

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Wisconsin

But that's not really my point. It's the contempt that some ex-smokers have for smokers that gets to me. Suddenly, some of us who have taken up vaping feel a superiority over smokers, and we complain loudly about how much they "stink". I can't deal with that. It reeks of hypocrisy. Half of my siblings still smoke. I don't wrinkle my nose around them or complain about how much they smell. To do so would be absurd.

And addressing something else in this thread: if someone wants to take up vaping, that's their choice. I don't subscribe to the mentality that nicotine is this horrible, dangerous drug. If it is, then we need to immediately cease and desist eating tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, green pepper, and cauliflower. I don't find nicotine to be any more earth-shatteringly dangerous than caffeine, quite honestly. We talk about the awful nicotine addiction, but has anyone ever seen a coffee addict when they haven't had their morning java infusion? It's not a pretty picture. ;)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
But that's not really my point. It's the contempt that some ex-smokers have for smokers that gets to me. Suddenly, some of us who have taken up vaping feel a superiority over smokers, and we complain loudly about how much they "stink". I can't deal with that. It reeks of hypocrisy.
That's not really the point?
Actually, it's pretty much the entire point.

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen a single post where anyone has complained that the stink of smokers offends them in some way. All I have seen is people commenting on how HORRIBLE smokers smell, and how they can't believe they really subjected all of the people in their lives to that HORRIBLE stench. And they are absolutely right. And someday I might get down on my hands and knees and apologize to my beloved wife of 10 years and tell her how much of an ... I was for denying that I smelled like crap for our entire relationship and marriage.

I have no contempt whatsoever for anyone I come across that smells that bad.
But make no mistake that they smell like crap.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
But that's not really my point. It's the contempt that some ex-smokers have for smokers that gets to me. Suddenly, some of us who have taken up vaping feel a superiority over smokers, and we complain loudly about how much they "stink". I can't deal with that. It reeks of hypocrisy. Half of my siblings still smoke. I don't wrinkle my nose around them or complain about how much they smell. To do so would be absurd.

And addressing something else in this thread: if someone wants to take up vaping, that's their choice. I don't subscribe to the mentality that nicotine is this horrible, dangerous drug. If it is, then we need to immediately cease and desist easting tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, green pepper, and cauliflower. I don't find nicotine to be any more earth-shatteringly dangerous than caffeine, quite honestly. We talk about the awful nicotine addiction, but has anyone ever seen a coffee addict when they haven't had their morning java infusion? It's not a pretty picture. ;)

It is wonderfully refreshing to know that I am not the only one who feels like this.

gsc4077

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Richmond, VA
I've been smoking for 6-7 years . . started after high school when i started coaching track and field (i do see the "humor" in that). I got to the point where realized that i did want to start being healthier, but that i didn't honestly want to quit smoking . . i liked it. So i switched over to vaping, and i love it so far. Is it really safer? . . without a doubt not enough time has passed for anyone to give a definite answer, but what i do know is that within days my breathing improved and i felt better over all. Now i dont gasp for air as i slip into sleeping, no more coughing and spitting out those nasty wads of mucous, and just the regular everyday physical work is easier and i'm not breathing heavy from the simple things.

For what vaping has done for me, the stories i've heard from others, and the potential i believe it has to really help so many people. . . its quickly becoming my religion :p just a matter of faith to a certain extent. Even if any studies / research / testing shows that it is legitimately harmful. I think they're gonna have a hell of a fight trying to justify banning e-ciggs while real cigarettes are still legal.

artage

Oct 15, 2009
nashville, tn
i apologize upfront for the length of this but anyway..

to the op:
history wise, i started smoking when i was 15 for reasons i don't think i'm allowed to discuss here. but either way, it became a habit of its own and eventually an addiction. fast forward 15 yrs and up till about a month ago i was smoking 2 packs a day on average. i chose to order an e-cig mainly for 2 reasons. first off, i was wanting to quit as it was one of two addictions i have left and i've grown to the point that i really don't like being addicted to anything. i don't like the control over myself that nicotine and other chemicals have/had on me. i'm trying to turn the tables and be the one in control. the e-cig has been a very useful tool in this fight. i admittedly didn't have the willpower in me to just quit on my own (at least not that i have found as of yet), but the e-cig helps me to trick myself. not to mention i enjoy it alot more, a fact that helped me make the switch. i've always enjoyed smoking, i enjoy vaping more. but it will be a glorious day when i reach for my pv out of choice and not out of a need to satisfy an addiction. i played around with the e-cig for a month or two and as i grew to like it more than my analogs, in came reason number 2. i realized that the big ole "they" were trying to kill us smokers quicker in the form of fire safe cigarettes (and if anyone disagrees with that statement please give me an alternative answer as to why they'd try to ban the e-cig while adding rings of foam rubber to even additive free analogs instead of telling the major manufacturers to remove the chemical that they add to make them burn quicker, more evenly, and not go out like their new rubber coated smokes.. i could go on, but i won't) that was the last straw for me and i feel so much better already.

now just a quick note to, well everybody:
i completely understand being scared of the FDA banning and taking away this little thing that many consider a "miracle" product. i really like mine and don't want it taken away. but really??? they want to ban it because nonsmokers will be tempted to try it??? i'm sure they've said that, i don't doubt that and they might be scared that they'll try e-cigs and not the analogs that they've already approved and that we all know will kill you. its quite obvious that this is a big business and money matter. they don't care about your, my, or anyone else's health or they wouldn't approve half or more of what they do. it's money and politics. end of story. and most importantly PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us not forget that it is NOT our government's or any of its agency's role to protect us from ourselves or make our decisions about our own lives!!! instead of discouraging someone from being honest, talking, and asking questions in a public forum centered around the subject he/she is interested in. how about standing up and telling the FDA that it is none of their business whether non-smoking adults start vaping or not. just my humble opinion.

in the end, it is the smartest, healthiest option most of the time (but not always) to not put any foreign substance in your body. from current research it doesn't appear that e-cigs have many if any negative effects, although more research does need to be done especially on the long term effects. but its still up to you. do some research and decide for yourself.

-steps down from soap box-

-AA-

iVaporgirl

Jan 2, 2010
Utah
Wow, first off let me apologize for the delay in response. I have read all the posts and want to respond in kind - fitting that all in to an already packed schedule is always a challenge as I'm sure you are all well aware.

Second - I really appreciate the genuine dialogue that has resulted from this post. I realize there is both some intrigue and some concern surrounding my OP - being an original non-smoker but taking up a bit of vaping myself. Here's a few things to know about me to provide some clarity:

• I've been a non-smoker my entire life (I am just over 30 years old), and come from a non-smoking family
  • nearly all my romantic relationships have been with smokers or those that have smokes at sometime in their life.
  • my current partner quit smoking and discovered "vaping" relatively soon after quitting. he is currently vaping himself and really enjoys it.
  • I currently vape a little myself - however it is with 0 nicotine and I do not inhale.
  • I am intrigued by the social dynamics of non-smokers and smokers (based on my own experience) and the socially dynamic possibilities that are already being played out with the e-cig.
  • some of my current work involves analyzing the psychology AND sociology of smokers and those that are addicted to nicotine.
  • please note: I am not a psychologist or a doctor of any kind :)
  • if anything think of me as a freelance content writer and social media networker.
There you go, I'll try to keep this thread fresh as well as start other threads to chat with ya'll about this whole phenomenon.

In the meantime any of you have any more stories? Still love to hear about it!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Interesting premise.
Ok so I don't even KNOW why I started smoking. I didn't smoke when any of my friends started in their teens - I was smoke free and UNhassled by same friends (they were cool with me being a non smoker) until my 20's, when for reasons now lost in history, I started smoking.
My dad had always smoked at home, roll ups usually cos packet cigs were pricey even then. I never minded the smell, in fact I thought it was quite nice. At xmas he had the odd cigar; some smelled nice, some stank. Maybe it reminded me of home and happy times and being a kid with no worrries? Possible.
My mum smoked when I was little, but maybe half a pack per week. I ararely saw her smoke in the house, if ever. She kept her half pack in the cupboard tho, and when i first tried smoking at 14 I borrowed a couple.
I hated smoking at 14, me and my best pal tried it together. We smoked 3 each (lol yeah we had no idea) coughed like our lungs were about to appear and then threw up. She was sick for 2 whole days. I just felt like I'd eaten poo or something lol. My chest hurt my eyes watered non stop. Yuk.
Never tried them again til I was around 20 or so.
After that I guess I just always had some. I liked the taste, at least the first few - the rest usually either didn't taste at all or tasted bad, but I liked the effect. They made me feel more able to concentrate for longer periods of time and seemed to help with stress.
I've never tried to give up nor desired to. Yes, I knew about the health risks.
I recently found out about PVs (please don't call them ecigs) after seeing a mall stall while on holiday, and watching an infomercial in my hotel.
After much research, I found THIS place, got my little 510kit and..well today I got some GOOD juice and I have had a whole TWO analog ciggies. And I didnt even really feel like the 2nd one either. I can't see my habit of 20 years staying with me after using this thing - they don't taste as good now and, the URGE seems to have left me.
This is so LIKE smoking without BEING smoking its perfect - and maybe Ill end up giving up by 'accident' rather than design.
Sorry that was longer than i thought :oops: Hope that was the sort of info ya wanted.

iVaporgirl

Jan 2, 2010
Utah
Interesting premise.
We smoked 3 each (lol yeah we had no idea) coughed like our lungs were about to appear and then threw up.

@captjay lol, don't know why but that line was hilarious. ah childhood...

anyway thanks for sharing - yours seems an interesting experience. I do wonder your offense/resistance to/whatever to the term "ecig". I could understand some long time vapers (?) and even companies may prefer referring to the device as a "personal vaporizer"/PV as it sounds less negative. However from a marketing standpoint I think the general public doesn't actually know what a PV is and getting them to imagine what it could be would most likely be wrong anyway. Meanwhile everyone knows what a cigarette is and an electronic cigarette is far easier to understand.

So yes, if you share your own reason for PV instead of e-cig I would be intrigued to hear :)

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
e-cig has the 'its actually a cigarette but runs on batteries' connotation. As in ' it will poison everyone with its smoke'. Everyone DOES know what a cigarette is, calling it an ecig won't educate them any further than that. It will kill the user and anyone nearby, eventually. That is currently many people's perceptions. I can tell you this with confidence because it was also mine.
A PV is a 'device' that MAY be used in cessation of tobacco use - there may not seem much difference to you, but its all about perception.
EG:
I have a box that spews out harmful chemicals. You can't be behind it for long because you might inhale them and die, or get very very sick (and maybe die) and it harms the enviroment and used to be very harmful to children. It still is, but on a less person by person basis. It costs a LOT to run this box. While it would be better for all if people shared boxes, very people do, because having your own is a status symbol so the enviroment is further harmed by them.
What is it?

:)

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
I can't help thinking there is a little hypocrisy being written here. Are some of you really saying that you can't become a vaper unless you become a smoker first? Do you think it's like a requirement or something? I get the feeling some of you think it's like a job promotion, ie: you can't be a doctor until you've been a resident first, you can't manage a McDonalds until you've assembled burgers first..etc.
I thought most of us agree that nicotine is not bad for you, it is possibly addictive but also possibly actually good for you. There have been studies that support these ideas. So, if someone finds the notion of inhaling nicotine attractive and wants to try it, and they are about to buy their first pack of cigarettes, you wouldn't try to steer them towards vaping instead?

I would tell anyone not to take up vaping OR smoking. For me vaping is an alternative to a habit I have been unable to break for almost 30 years, not somethingto be used to be 'cool'. Thats what got me into this mess in the first place.

I would encourage them no more than I would encourage them to go slap on a few nic patches, grab pfizer's nic inhalers or a to go bottle of chantix. This stuff is not FDA approved. Even though we are told what is in the bottle we don;t know for sure without testing each and every bottle before loading our carts. Unless they have cyanide in them, they are most likely healthier than cigs (frgot cigs had some of that too)!

The thing is that ecigs still have a few things that are found in cigs and those few things are something OTHER than fresh air.

I would not encourage a non-smoker to vape no more than I would encourage someone to huff paint. Not that I do not trust it for my needs, but there is no use in exposing yourself to an unknown risk for the sake of looking like a 'femme fatale'. Remember when the claim was that cigs were not addictive NOR dangerous. This is harm reduction, and that is what we have fought for, not some new thing for everyone to try.

JMHO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread