• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hello. I am an atheist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
Hey fellow non-believers!

Thought I'd check in here, see what's up.

...so it seems many of you get into arguments with religious folk. I used to do this occasionally, but I found it too frustrating, and eventually I realized that the exercise was probably futile. I know I never got a believer to consider being rational, and none of my fellow atheists have ever reported any successes to me. The only arguments that have led anywhere for me are with people with a sort of agnostic pantheism of god being everything... I merely point out that that is really the same as god being nothing :)

Anyone here ever convert someone?

I currently tend towards non-action as the only worthwhile route. People will either become atheist or they wont, and we can only calmly answer their questions about our world-view if they have any.

Or are the arguments just for intellectual amusement? That's cool.... I've just gotten tired of it, so I quit. I do still feel a certain amount of pity and, to be honest, disdain for the deluded, but there's just so many of them! And if it's not religion it's horoscopes or tarot cards or 911 conspiracies or Ayn Rand. It's all just too disappointing... Can't help fools.

I do realize that someone has to do the political stuff necessary to keep the god stuff to a minimum... I'm too lazy for that :)

Just venting....

hobo_bob777

Apr 1, 2011
t-ville, NC
well I'm a christian but i don't hate on anybody, especially you guys. My religion ain't a religion of hate. Its your life, your choice. I just choose a different path, everybody goes to the same place: We don't know. Whatever you believe is fine: "Judge not lest ye shall be judged." I think Atheists and Christians could get along if only some of us would actually practice what we preach! Christianity is a lifestyle that, I think, betters myself. Hell, who knows? It may all really be pointless in the end but i enjoy my beliefs so I guess that time on earth is time well spent. I consider myself a "Big Lebowski" Christian :p

Morgythekilla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2011
MN
Wow man, how anyone ever tried to convert you? I find it very sad that you do not believe in a higher power. I am very educated on many religions and could tell you anything you need to know. One does not convert to atheism, as it is not a religion.. And it figures you fail to "convert" people from being a "believer" to a non-believer, why would anyone give up their beliefs for the idea of nothingness? Hopefully your soul will be touched one day, by someone who you respect, and you will know that the threshold to eternity is through the realm of time. Some people are scared of the unknown, and that is understandable. Some people would like to think they and, only they control their own lives, which is true and understandable. Some people are scared of having to "awnser" to a higher power, and that is very understandable. I just hope that you will one day realize that life on earth, is like a season in heaven. Life is too short.. it would be sad to think you were gone after 100 years of life.. Good luck trying to convert a believer.. lol.

Morgythekilla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2011
MN
Also, many religious people question their faith, over and over again, questioning evidence and so forth. I have done this many times and a very wise man has given me very logical awnsers. I hope you one day find the right wise man to educate you, and help awnser your questions. "My" Wise man told and proved to me that their is physical evidence of Jesus, and many other stories from the bible. I really hope you get into a discussion with the right person, who was as wise as the person who "converted" me.

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
Also, many religious people question their faith, over and over again, questioning evidence and so forth. I have done this many times and a very wise man has given me very logical awnsers. I hope you one day find the right wise man to educate you, and help awnser your questions. "My" Wise man told and proved to me that their is physical evidence of Jesus, and many other stories from the bible. I really hope you get into a discussion with the right person, who was as wise as the person who "converted" me.

uh.... this is the atheist forum, right? Please don't waste your and my time with this nonsense. That this sort of thing is futile was my main point. Sure, I could go through your replies and point out where we disagree and state my case, but there isn't really any need for that, is there?

We can only agree to disagree.

tranced

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2010
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Morgy,
here is a more appropriate place for you Christian Vapers
I am one of those fundamentalist, solo scriptura christian that has seen the light, step off your pulpit or I'll step on mine.

Evilfrog,
I wind up getting in quite a few conversations with christians, mainly because of my minarchist views. I'm not out to fundamentally change beliefs - if you wanna belief in jesus christ, the apostle paul, gilgamesh or hercules or dionysus or pink invisible unicorns and your a happier person, more power to ya. When you start attacking atheists, I defend.

It's sad really that most people spend more time considering what car they'll own next than they do checking into the validity of their beliefs.

stummies

Dec 6, 2010
Reading, PA
Anyone here ever convert someone?

If someone is interested in discussing the topic, I will entertain the idea as long as they are giving me the impression they are actually discussing and not attempting to convert me. I never made a point of trying to convert anyone. If I were to convince someone to become atheist, it would be based on my opinions not theirs, which to me requires a certain level of faith. I didn't come to this decision lightly or overnight, it was over the course of years of reading and thought. To expect anyone to base their opinions on nothing more than a verbal conversation implies faith/belief. This of course goes completely against an atheists dismissal of belief.

I currently tend towards non-action as the only worthwhile route. People will either become atheist or they wont, and we can only calmly answer their questions about our world-view if they have any.

This would be the only valid stance which I described above. Now there is nothing wrong with discussion such as in forums, blogs, writing books, making videos and such. Anything that can help the warped perception of what an atheist is are certainly welcome. Most questions or discussions I get into are to clarify what an atheist is. Anything else I usually avoid since they will just blindly argue and not actually consider any alternate opinions (morals, life after death, etc).

Or are the arguments just for intellectual amusement?

Likely the same people that get a rise out of trolling people online... not worth the effort or time. Using atheism to argue with someone is not intellectual, it's a method of manipulation. Personally, for my intellectual amusement I study philosophy, religion, ethics, morals, social issues and other associated things in my personal time.

I do realize that someone has to do the political stuff necessary to keep the god stuff to a minimum...

Not sure what this means, could you explain?

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
Whatever gets you through the night
It's all right, it's all right.

I don't believe, and never have. I'm cool with people that do, however. Sure, a lot of horrible stuff gets done in the name of religion, but if people find solace in it, then good for them. If nothing else, religion provides a good scapegoat to deflect attention away from the fact that people, on the whole, just suck.

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
I'm gonna' jump in with my 2 cents worth at this point.

Religion, any type of religion, involving any deity - from God to Allah to The Flying Spaghetti Monster - is, quite simply, a PHILOSOPHY.

A philosophy is a guide to live your life. It tells you, guides you, instructs you, informs you, of a way how to answer the big questions. These questions include things like, "What is the morally correct way to behave?", "What is good?", "Is it permissible to use force against someone for the 'greater good'?", "What is consciousness?", "What is society?" etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseam...

Call it God, call it your Higher Power, call it Irving (if you want) - it's all the same thing...an attempt to hold oneself accountable, or to apportion responsibility, for one's actions.

Darth Skirata

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2010
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
I was raised in a Catholic household, went to Catholic school, and literally never believed any of it, from the time I was old enough to realize that I could decide for myself.
It's a simple as this: human beings concoct "God" and "God's plan" because they can't face their own mortality. I don't mind the imbeciles that buy in to this nonsense, I only mind when they get indignant when I refuse to buy in to it.
I have said this many times to family and friends, and I will say it here: I believe in science; because science can prove things.
I'm a stickler for evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread