Status
Not open for further replies.

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
Good Evening everyone!

Firstly, this may sound a bit stupid but here goes:

I bought a pack of prebuilt coils of various clapton styles (fused, stapled etc) and went to pop some in my Radar. Now, I also have some twisted coils which are sold at 0.6 and read at anywhere from .58 - .63 but these coils are wayyyy out of sync with the lists in the box. My Stapled are coming in at .25 - .27 rather than the .34 they are rated at. In the end, I built anyways and they vape just fine. Thoughts?

Second part; I'm running a Gbox with Samsung 25Rs in them. Based from some voodoo math (i.e probably got it wrong) they should, in theory, be good up to 120 watts or so. Using the above coils in a dual build my RDA reads at .13 ohm but I am aware of an amp limit of 20. Is there a way I can work it out using very simple math? I'm not a math buff and do struggle with things like this. On my usual builds of .3 etc I know that 60 - 70 watts is fine on a dual but want to make sure I'm safe on my .13 so for now, I'm sticking at 80 watts which discharges 24 amps. Am I correct in assuming that the 24 amps is split over the 2 batteries equalling 12 amp CDR ( 8 amps under the limit of 20 for a 18650?)

Any help/advice/knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Mod - Gbox in Power mode
RDA - Radar

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OK, don't cry. Yet.

You're using a Gbox, rated to 0.05 ohm in power mode if I read the specs correctly. So no problem with a 0.13 ohm build on it.

It's a VW mod, not a mech, so the resistance, other than being within spec, is irrelevant to the current draw. The current draw is based on the wattage you set. Without getting all math intensive, generally a 20A battery should be good to 60w, or in the case of 2 in series, ~120w. If you select at most 80w you're absolutely fine. Even 100w. This does NOT apply to mech builds, or at least not directly. But you're not using a mech so why confuse things.

Factory wrapped fancy coils, Clapton and its variants, vary greatly in quality on build and variability in resistance from what the box says. So long as you measure the resistance yourself, are assured you're using it within spec of your mod for the total resistance, and fire it to be sure it all lights up properly, you're good to go. Never rely on the resistance they say it should be, only the one you measure for yourself.

So, dry your eyes off, put down the tissues, and enjoy your vape.

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
OK, don't cry. Yet.

You're using a Gbox, rated to 0.05 ohm in power mode if I read the specs correctly. So no problem with a 0.13 ohm build on it.

If anything comes in below .10 then I don't vape it as I don't want to push my batteries that hard :)

It's a VW mod, not a mech, so the resistance, other than being within spec, is irrelevant to the current draw. The current draw is based on the wattage you set. Without getting all math intensive, generally a 20A battery should be good to 60w, or in the case of 2 in series, ~120w. If you select at most 80w you're absolutely fine. Even 100w. This does NOT apply to mech builds, or at least not directly. But you're not using a mech so why confuse things.

This is where I was getting confused. Everything that came up from Google was all mech related. I kept seeing parallel & series everywhere but can't for the life of me figure out what the Gbox is. From what I read, if it was parallel, then it would split the Amperage onto either battery. At 83 watts, the amps were 24.4 so 12.2 per battery, very safe. In series, exceeding the limit of my 25rs and dangerous.

Factory wrapped fancy coils, Clapton and its variants, vary greatly in quality on build and variability in resistance from what the box says. So long as you measure the resistance yourself, are assured you're using it within spec of your mod for the total resistance, and fire it to be sure it all lights up properly, you're good to go. Never rely on the resistance they say it should be, only the one you measure for yourself.

Also good to know. I did figure that "hey, if I built this myself I wouldn't of had any issues". I always measure the resistance across 2 mods to be safe.

So, dry your eyes off, put down the tissues, and enjoy your vape.
I am now! :D :D

All my responses are in bold beneath the relevant paragraph :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nah, no crying. Unless you have a leak and a tank of juice dumps onto your mod. Then it's acceptable from a vape etiquette perspective. Especially if it gets inside the mod.

Only drawback is you only get to see all blurry the carnage of tossing the whole damn setup against a brick wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread