Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Haverhill, UNITED KINGDOM
hi I've just bought luxotic mod, but my vape tastes bad.... it's because I can't change the wattage I think.... I normally use my regulated mod at 11 watts, with around 1.1 ohm coil. 3.1 amps. 3.45 volts.
So any idea as to what coil I should build to get roughly same taste from my adv? On the new luxotic mod that is...
I looked into ohms law etc, but really didn't find out the foggiest! I just can't get my head around it all.... any tips on safety too appreciated... thanks

Reactions: stols001

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
First rule of safety, if you dont understand ohms law, dont rely on it, use a regulated device. First things first, do some research on ohms law then go on to steam-engine.org and read that site. There, once understood, you can type in the known values and it calculates what you need to do. I will point out that batteries have a voltage that starts at 4.2v and usually cuts out around 3.5v. That means that the watts on a full battery aren't going to be the same as watts with the battery nearly dead. You may want to start with a 6 wrap 2mm 1.0ohm coil. That should get you close in steam engine. Hope this helps. Be safe!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is it the amp limit? If so as long as I'm under 17.5 amps that should be ok? Yes?
You haven't shared what batteries you are using specifically. All batteries have different amp limits (the "continuous discharge rate"). So we need to know the specific model battery you're using.

Maybe you need to brush up on this:

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Recently revised to be even more simple. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mech mod explosions.
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok so my battery says it is 3000mah. Max continuous discharge is 20 amps, max pulse discharge is 35 amp. It is an efest imr 18650.
Unlike most of Efest's batteries, this model seems to be accurately rated. However, being that Efest is a battery rewrapper, they can change out the battery they rewrap at any point in time. Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?

Using an Ohm's Law calculator, you can build as low as 0.21 ohms. That's without any extra margin of safety. I personally wouldn't build any lower than 0.6 ohms to get some extra margin of safety.

Last edited:

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Dont pay attention to the pulse discharge rate, never go over continuous discharge and build in your safety to that continuous rate. for example, if you want a 25% cushion to safely vape at, pull no more than 15 amps from your battery. There are many who say efest is not reliable since they've overstated their battery limits in the past. If you aren't sub-ohming and certainly stick to the continuous discharge rate (with safty built in), there should be no problem with that battery. Other safety things to consider, make sure to build on a reader or your regulated device, test it again with the cap on to be sure there wont be a short. I also like to check the posts whenever I rewick, a loose connection can be dangerous too. Keep all the contacts clean, that is one to easily overlook on a mech. Keep in mind, your regulated device does all this for you(except the cleaning part). With a mech, there are things you need to familiarize yourself with for your own safety. There are many resources to consider listed above. The one I keep going back to is steam-engine. Good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: fitchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread