Help me pick a MTL RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tickles

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2012
Alberta, Canada
First off, a little about me.

I started vaping in 2012. I'm a flavor chaser. Through and through, so I immediately went into rebuildables. I bought a KFL and v2 then dabbled in RDAs by getting the Veritas and Vertex v2. All I learned was that I must suck at building.

I did not enjoy my KFL. It needed constant maintenance and needed to be rewick all the time. I had flooding and spitback most of the time and when i got it right, I had no idea why. Now don't get me wrong, when it worked it was good. Best flavor I've had, but the constant temperamental maintenance just sucked the joy out of it. I just do not have the touch to wick something properly.

I did okay with my drippers, but because they're drippers, I didn't like taking them out with me and were just flavor testers I'd occasionally use.

Being annoyed by rebuildables, I eventually got a OBS T-VCT (a weird choice I'll admit) and after failing on its rba deck too, Iv just been using the OBS stock coils for a few years.

Recently I've taken the plunge again into the hobby and wanted an upgrade. Still being ...... with the KFL, I wanted to go the replaceable coil tank direction and got a Zenith Pro and a Zlide.

The Zlide is a decent little tank. Better build quality over the Zenith Pro. I should have heeded @SP013 's review more as the Pro's air flow is too loose for true MTL. I think the Pro is just a miss. The AFC isn't smooth and nice to use (the Zlide is buttery smooth with nice tension), the beauty ring is ugly AF and the airflow on 1 hole is very loose. The 1 hole open on the Zlide I find nice, but could go even more restricted. The Pro will be retired as soon as my new original Zenith gets here ;)

The reason for this post, unfortunately I am just not satisfied with the Innokin coils. I'm not sure what it is, but the flavor seems muted and boring. I've tried every coil. .48, .50, 1ohm suck. Just suck. They give muted flavor for a while, then burn out. Th'suck. The .8, 1.2 and 1.6 I'm still tooting on. I actually think the 1.2 is my favorite as it seems to create a bolder flavor, at least for the fruity notes. However, it seems every pull is different and the coils go from an okay to decent flavor to burnt or dry. I don't know if it's just the coils or if that's what they do. I don't want to keep chucking coils till I find one that's not a dud and don't know if that's as good as they get. Yes, I prime them (really good too), Yes I use them at appropriate wattages. Just thought it would be better.

So because of my frustrations, I've decided to nut up and try a rebuildable again.

TL;DR My first rebuildable was an old KFL. It ...... me off cause I couldn't build it well. Now I tried a Zlide. Still looking for better flavor.

In my next MTL RTA I am looking for:
-True MTL airflow. I like it tight, like 1 hole on the Zlide or tighter.
-Gotta be an easy builder that a 1 eyed ..... can wick
-Reliable and least amount of maintenance needed (like less prone to flooding and leaking)
-Most importantly... FLAVOR FOR DAAAAAAAYZZZZZ

My research has brought me to 3 offerings: Expromizer v4, Hellvape MD, Steamcrave Glaz mini (if anyone recommends the KFL 2019, I will slap you through your computer screen. Seeing that classic deck shape still triggers the ptsd)

How do these compare? Which would you recommend? Any help is appreciated.

If you actually read all this, thank you for your sacrifice.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
It is not easy to find the right topper, well, for me anyway.

Over the years I have spent a lot of money on toppers. And, since I rotate flavors so much I end up with multiples.

People, myself included, cut the cost a bit by buying clones and that helped a bit.

But, what did it for me was that I came to the conclusion that I could be chasing a non-existent rabbit. I decided that "this" works well-enough. That realization slowed me down to a purchasing crawl.

The last ones I bought were in the winter of a year ago. I read reviews, listened to comments, perused YouTube; I took extra time. I don't think I ever bought a topper in the first 9 months of release.

I suspect that all toppers are as easy to build as the maker can make them. I have not had any problems with rebuildable toppers.

I would recommend mine, but they probably don't sell them anymore. Anyway, one thing that seems to work well for me is top airflow. Just never had a leak with no effort.

Good luck

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Out of your choices, I would go for the Expromizer v4. It is a top air RTA, so relatively leak resistant. I've also heard plenty of members say how tight the draw this atty can give you.

Here are a couple of reviews from ECF members:
    Top air RTAs

Exvape expromizer v4 rta mtl

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    The Expromizer is a good RTA @AngeNZ, but because it uses a rubber grommet for the 510 screw it allows for movement and you end up getting dodgy resistance readings.

So the 510 screw needs a non conductive washer/shim to allow proper tightening of the screw which will fix the resistance issue.

Worst thing is is that it's such an easy fix, a suitable component could even be made by 3d printing.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @TraderX if you're having a little bout of shinyitis definitely pick an Ulton Tripod clone up, because as well as being a decent clone RTA with good machining and materials they are nigh on identical to the Atmizoo original as they have the chamber reducer for MTL and both chimney extensions in the enhanced capacity kit.

And the build deck is so simple to use and is not a finicky small sized one.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    @TraderX if you're having a little bout of shinyitis definitely pick an Ulton Tripod clone up, because as well as being a decent clone RTA with good machining and materials they are nigh on identical to the Atmizoo original as they have the chamber reducer for MTL and both chimney extensions in the enhanced capacity kit.

And the build deck is so simple to use and is not a finicky small sized one.

You have me a bit curious about this Ulton Tripod Mate!
    Have you had 100% success rate in building and wicking your one?
    With No leaking at all:)

• Love
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    No leaking whatsoever @Daniel Forsyth after a few builds to get to know the Tripod, but I use Rayon so that made a difference.

But the Tripod just seems to bring out flavours from the same liquids that you use that you never noticed before.

I've also learned some decent retrofits as well for the Ulton version as well.

TraderX

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2015
    Philly Suburbs
    I do not have the Tripod RTA yet, but since it is using juice flow control gimmicks, I am fairly certain that I will not like it. I am not a fan of the ridiculous Brunhilde monstrosity, but others are, so I won't describe it's many shortcomings and cause hurt feelings.

Just ask yourself a simple question. Are all of these many MTL vapers wrong? SXK DOGGY STYLE

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    So far Iv been recommended the doggystyle, Tripod, Brunhilde and expromizer v4.
    All good choices... and the Steamcrave Glaz someone else mentioned.
    Another option (even though it's not a RTA) is the Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDTA. It's like a RDA with a tank under so shouldn't leak and super easy to wick.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    So far Iv been recommended the doggystyle, Tripod, Brunhilde and expromizer v4.

Out of these, in your experience, how do they compare to each other?

Thanks

Brunhilde MTL RTA without a problem out of the lot of them!
    You don't need to be scared of an RTA like other people hereo_O
    It's only 5ml:w00t:
    Strongly recommend;)

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    No leaking whatsoever @Daniel Forsyth after a few builds to get to know the Tripod, but I use Rayon so that made a difference.

But the Tripod just seems to bring out flavours from the same liquids that you use that you never noticed before.

I've also learned some decent retrofits as well for the Ulton version as well.

So no leaking from your Very first build and wick??
    Interesting:)

G and C

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2014
    California
    While you have received a lot of good suggestions in this thread, Kayfun Prime clones can be had for $10-20, and they are in my opinion the best true MTL RTA out there. No one has mentioned the VandyVape Berserker either, and that's another one that I would highly recommend.

But seriously, the KF Prime is fantastic.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    First off, a little about me.

I started vaping in 2012. I'm a flavor chaser. Through and through, so I immediately went into rebuildables. I bought a KFL and v2 then dabbled in RDAs by getting the Veritas and Vertex v2. All I learned was that I must suck at building.

I did not enjoy my KFL. It needed constant maintenance and needed to be rewick all the time. I had flooding and spitback most of the time and when i got it right, I had no idea why. Now don't get me wrong, when it worked it was good. Best flavor I've had, but the constant temperamental maintenance just sucked the joy out of it. I just do not have the touch to wick something properly.

I did okay with my drippers, but because they're drippers, I didn't like taking them out with me and were just flavor testers I'd occasionally use.

Being annoyed by rebuildables, I eventually got a OBS T-VCT (a weird choice I'll admit) and after failing on its rba deck too, Iv just been using the OBS stock coils for a few years.

Recently I've taken the plunge again into the hobby and wanted an upgrade. Still being ...... with the KFL, I wanted to go the replaceable coil tank direction and got a Zenith Pro and a Zlide.

The Zlide is a decent little tank. Better build quality over the Zenith Pro. I should have heeded @SP013 's review more as the Pro's air flow is too loose for true MTL. I think the Pro is just a miss. The AFC isn't smooth and nice to use (the Zlide is buttery smooth with nice tension), the beauty ring is ugly AF and the airflow on 1 hole is very loose. The 1 hole open on the Zlide I find nice, but could go even more restricted. The Pro will be retired as soon as my new original Zenith gets here ;)

The reason for this post, unfortunately I am just not satisfied with the Innokin coils. I'm not sure what it is, but the flavor seems muted and boring. I've tried every coil. .48, .50, 1ohm suck. Just suck. They give muted flavor for a while, then burn out. Th'suck. The .8, 1.2 and 1.6 I'm still tooting on. I actually think the 1.2 is my favorite as it seems to create a bolder flavor, at least for the fruity notes. However, it seems every pull is different and the coils go from an okay to decent flavor to burnt or dry. I don't know if it's just the coils or if that's what they do. I don't want to keep chucking coils till I find one that's not a dud and don't know if that's as good as they get. Yes, I prime them (really good too), Yes I use them at appropriate wattages. Just thought it would be better.

So because of my frustrations, I've decided to nut up and try a rebuildable again.

TL;DR My first rebuildable was an old KFL. It ...... me off cause I couldn't build it well. Now I tried a Zlide. Still looking for better flavor.

In my next MTL RTA I am looking for:
    -True MTL airflow. I like it tight, like 1 hole on the Zlide or tighter.
    -Gotta be an easy builder that a 1 eyed ..... can wick
    -Reliable and least amount of maintenance needed (like less prone to flooding and leaking)
    -Most importantly... FLAVOR FOR DAAAAAAAYZZZZZ

My research has brought me to 3 offerings: Expromizer v4, Hellvape MD, Steamcrave Glaz mini (if anyone recommends the KFL 2019, I will slap you through your computer screen. Seeing that classic deck shape still triggers the ptsd)

How do these compare? Which would you recommend? Any help is appreciated.

If you actually read all this, thank you for your sacrifice.

I’m going to get the kfun 19 (I’ll take that slap it’s cool) because although I don’t find wicking an issue it’s not like the og lite where you clip and it sits on the sides. It’s more like a kfun v5/v3 mini where it has two wells and you cut to the width of the atty and then just poke down the holes. Can’t wait :)
    You seen the vids yet. Ptsd or not looks an easy wick

Tickles

ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I’m going to get the kfun 19 (I’ll take that slap it’s cool) because although I don’t find wicking an issue it’s not like the og lite where you clip and it sits on the sides. It’s more like a kfun v5/v3 mini where it has two wells and you cut to the width of the atty and then just poke down the holes. Can’t wait :)
    You seen the vids yet. Ptsd or not looks an easy wick

Ya frick, I was just rewatching kfl 2019 videos and they say its flavor is great and I like the size of it. Perhaps I should try to retame the beast...

But I do like my features. Id miss top fill and switching my airflow on the go, which is why im leaning towards the expromizer v4. I dont like how tall it is, but thats not a real deal breaker especially if it vapes great. Im wondering how "revolutionary" top airflow is? Is it "the way of the future" or even gonna last another year? I guess what im wondering is how much of a selling feature is it?

Iv looked into the beloved Doggy. Still have much to learn about it. Im surprised with something people seem to love so much I cant find a review by a major youtuber quack. I am concerned that the Doggy will have too loose of a draw for me. Again I like a range around 1 hole open on a Zlide.

Havnt looked to hard for the Tripod, but the million parts to it seem scary. Ill have to look more.

How do these 4 tanks compare?

Guido Ceccotti

Oct 9, 2018
    What about the Berserker v1.5 mini?

Very tight draw.
    Big lovely post Screws.
    Foolproof building.
    Zero leaking, condensation or flooding.
    Good flavor (not as good as Dvarw or Precisio, but is fairly decent).

8VisBID.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread