Help me pick a MTL RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Im wondering how "revolutionary" top airflow is? Is it "the way of the future" or even gonna last another year? I guess what im wondering is how much of a selling feature is it?
Top airflow tends to prevent leaking issues but is more common with restricted DL or full blown DL

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Oh shoot, maybe ehpro the true is what i should go for. Seems many doggy lovers were converted to that
Both are great choices. I like loose air draw so cant help you with that. The super tight air draw Berserker is very popular.
Have you ever built a rta? It's not so hard but there is a learning curve... you will fail a few times, finally get it right, then it will be easy when you do it the same every time. You really might consider trying a simple single coil rda first (while you decide on which RTA to get) easy way to learn about coils/wicks.

Tickles

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2012
Alberta, Canada
What about the Berserker v1.5 mini?

Very tight draw.
Big lovely post Screws.
Foolproof building.
Zero leaking, condensation or flooding.
Good flavor (not as good as Dvarw or Precisio, but is fairly decent).

8VisBID.jpg

That why. Iv heard it is very good and many enjoy it, but for flavor, it can be be beat. I believe there are other tanks that are also easy to build on, have a tight draw and have better flavor.

Tickles

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I never really mastered like, top air MTL RTAs.

I would suggest a Precio MTL RTA by DB vapes (or Fumytech in some places) and rayon wicking. You just can't go wrong and the build is EASY.

Anna

I would be using rayon. Why do you suggest rayon? Isnt everyone all about that square pad cotton stuff?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I did not quite understand your reply about rayon. Plenty of people prefer cotton over rayon for various reasons I do not.

I would say I'm not alone. Go here: Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

I'm done now I think. Good luck with your pick. I hope you created this thread to find something. If you just wanted a happy banter about MTL tanks there are many places you could have done so.

Anna

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I would be using rayon. Why do you suggest rayon? Isnt everyone all about that square pad cotton stuff?

First, I'll give my $0.02 on the tanks:

3 that have been mentioned are my favorites. I came from Kayfuns originally, but then:
1. Doggy- awesome tank, extremely easy, and very forgiving. BUT, air flow control is not very good on it, if you like to dial it down some.

2. Ehpro True MTL- it replaced my doggies, and is a fantastic tank. Very easy, better air flow control, very forgiving, never leaks. You won't go wrong with this one. I have several, and it was by far my favorite tank, and I wasn't looking to replace it. But then I won the

3. BD Vape Precisio- More expensive (but not too much), and more high- end. BY FAR the best vape I've ever had. Incredibly dense, flavorful vape, with all the throat hit I craved. In fact, it might've been a little too rich and intense for me at first. I couldn't believe how satisfying a vape on this thing was. Took some getting used to, and I opened the air flow up a little. But this tank is built to last a lifetime. As much as I like doggies, I know the threading would wear out eventually. And the fill gasket on the True will have to fail down the road at some point. There's nothing like that on the Precisio. I absolutely love this tank- forgiving, no leaks ever, trouble free, fantastic vape, and still costs less than KFL-19, which has it's odd issues with the af screw, and is still somewhat finicky as other Kayfuns.

Cotton vs. Rayon: Rayon is probably a better wicking material, overall. Withstands higher temps, has smoother strands so it wicks more efficiently, no real "break-in" flavor like cotton. Cotton tends to taste a little "softer" compared to the sharpness of rayon at first. But I prefer cotton. I just find that Koh Gen Do pads are so easy to get consistent in size every time- which is especially critical for new builders.

Once I determined the right size for my coils, I just precut dozens of them to about 2.5mm width, and put into a small ziplock bag. Then there's no fiddling each time, trying to separate the fibers into the correct size. And you've learned, proper wicking is critical- too much, and it chokes off the flow. Too little, you get snap crackle pop spitback, and leaks.

Good luck to you!

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
First off, a little about me.

I started vaping in 2012. I'm a flavor chaser. Through and through, so I immediately went into rebuildables. I bought a KFL and v2 then dabbled in RDAs by getting the Veritas and Vertex v2. All I learned was that I must suck at building.

I did not enjoy my KFL. It needed constant maintenance and needed to be rewick all the time. I had flooding and spitback most of the time and when i got it right, I had no idea why. Now don't get me wrong, when it worked it was good. Best flavor I've had, but the constant temperamental maintenance just sucked the joy out of it. I just do not have the touch to wick something properly.

I did okay with my drippers, but because they're drippers, I didn't like taking them out with me and were just flavor testers I'd occasionally use.

Being annoyed by rebuildables, I eventually got a OBS T-VCT (a weird choice I'll admit) and after failing on its rba deck too, Iv just been using the OBS stock coils for a few years.

Recently I've taken the plunge again into the hobby and wanted an upgrade. Still being ...... with the KFL, I wanted to go the replaceable coil tank direction and got a Zenith Pro and a Zlide.

The Zlide is a decent little tank. Better build quality over the Zenith Pro. I should have heeded @SP013 's review more as the Pro's air flow is too loose for true MTL. I think the Pro is just a miss. The AFC isn't smooth and nice to use (the Zlide is buttery smooth with nice tension), the beauty ring is ugly AF and the airflow on 1 hole is very loose. The 1 hole open on the Zlide I find nice, but could go even more restricted. The Pro will be retired as soon as my new original Zenith gets here ;)

The reason for this post, unfortunately I am just not satisfied with the Innokin coils. I'm not sure what it is, but the flavor seems muted and boring. I've tried every coil. .48, .50, 1ohm suck. Just suck. They give muted flavor for a while, then burn out. Th'suck. The .8, 1.2 and 1.6 I'm still tooting on. I actually think the 1.2 is my favorite as it seems to create a bolder flavor, at least for the fruity notes. However, it seems every pull is different and the coils go from an okay to decent flavor to burnt or dry. I don't know if it's just the coils or if that's what they do. I don't want to keep chucking coils till I find one that's not a dud and don't know if that's as good as they get. Yes, I prime them (really good too), Yes I use them at appropriate wattages. Just thought it would be better.

So because of my frustrations, I've decided to nut up and try a rebuildable again.

TL;DR My first rebuildable was an old KFL. It ...... me off cause I couldn't build it well. Now I tried a Zlide. Still looking for better flavor.

In my next MTL RTA I am looking for:
-True MTL airflow. I like it tight, like 1 hole on the Zlide or tighter.
-Gotta be an easy builder that a 1 eyed ..... can wick
-Reliable and least amount of maintenance needed (like less prone to flooding and leaking)
-Most importantly... FLAVOR FOR DAAAAAAAYZZZZZ

My research has brought me to 3 offerings: Expromizer v4, Hellvape MD, Steamcrave Glaz mini (if anyone recommends the KFL 2019, I will slap you through your computer screen. Seeing that classic deck shape still triggers the ptsd)

How do these compare? Which would you recommend? Any help is appreciated.

If you actually read all this, thank you for your sacrifice.

The Hellvape MD and the Steam Crave Glaz Mini are both very solid attys! They are easy to build and wick, low maintenance, they are not prone to leaking and they bring great flavor. The MD brings more flavor than the SC Glaz Mini. The airflow is easily customizable on both so you can get a tight draw on either, but if you like a looser draw, you might be happier with the MD. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Well I have found this discussion helpful and I have decided to get the Expro V4 and a doggy!

I do appreciate you help
I looked at the Expromizer, and was tempted. But after the doggy, I found there's no need for juice flow control, if it's built right. I just want it to vape and wick right, and not require my input. So I won't get any more atties that have it. Also, it's much taller than I like.But those that have it, love it, so it's probably a good one.

Tickles

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Ya there's just something drawing me to the expro. Probably the top fill and tight draw. The doggy was 10 bucks so figured i cant go wrong and try both. Once i get a functional build on each im curious how they will compare in my opinion.

Now I have to figure out what the best builds are for each. I have rayon and 28 gauge ss wire still. Curious if alien (flat?) or clapton wire is worth investing in. Dont worry, Ill have another thread to annoy you guys about it sometime ;) working title will be "best coil for flavor. Periode" ;)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Ya there's just something drawing me to the expro. Probably the top fill and tight draw. The doggy was 10 bucks so figured i cant go wrong and try both. Once i get a functional build on each im curious how they will compare in my opinion.

Now I have to figure out what the best builds are for each. I have rayon and 28 gauge ss wire still. Curious if alien (flat?) or clapton wire is worth investing in. Dont worry, Ill have another thread to annoy you guys about it sometime ;) working title will be "best coil for flavor. Periode" ;)
I use the same build on everything. I used to use higher ohm, and 2.5 ID. But based on another doggy user's recommendation, I tried 7 wraps, 2mm ID, about 0.58 ohm. It was a pretty amazing difference dropping from 2.5mm to 2mm ID.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Ya frick, I was just rewatching kfl 2019 videos and they say its flavor is great and I like the size of it. Perhaps I should try to retame the beast...

But I do like my features. Id miss top fill and switching my airflow on the go, which is why im leaning towards the expromizer v4. I dont like how tall it is, but thats not a real deal breaker especially if it vapes great. Im wondering how "revolutionary" top airflow is? Is it "the way of the future" or even gonna last another year? I guess what im wondering is how much of a selling feature is it?

Iv looked into the beloved Doggy. Still have much to learn about it. Im surprised with something people seem to love so much I cant find a review by a major youtuber quack. I am concerned that the Doggy will have too loose of a draw for me. Again I like a range around 1 hole open on a Zlide

Havnt looked to hard for the Tripod, but the million parts to it seem scary. Ill have to look more.

How do these 4 tanks compare?

I’ve got an expromizer but none of the others so couldn’t compare :(
thats fair enough about the top fill too. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest but I understand top fill is a feature pretty much everyone wants

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
very cool. Ill have to experiment.

I read to help find the best build for a topper is to build with the deck in mind. As in a coil not much bigger or smaller than the air hole? That make any sense?
Others may disagree, but I don't think so (see my post above). I always wanted something that ramped up quickly, and delivered a dense, solid vape with throat hit like a smoke. People would recommend one build for the KM3, maybe a different one for the doggy, and yet another for the True or Precisio. After a lot of experimentation, the build I use now works best for me in all of them. In spite of the different configuration of the KM3 on the left vs. Precisio on the right:
upload_2020-4-29_17-23-36.png

They're all different, because of size/airflow/chimney shape, etc. But the best coil for me is just the best coil for me regardless. I can see where it could seem to make sense to build a longer coil for a deck with a really long air intake slot, but I don't find that covering that area makes as much differences as ramp-up, temp, etc.

Keep in mind I'm talking about low wattage mtl, though- building for the deck probably makes a lot of sense for some cloud oriented dtl setups.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
You have me a bit curious about this Ulton Tripod Mate!
Have you had 100% success rate in building and wicking your one?
With No leaking at all:)
I have a couple Atmizoo Tripod's and have had zero problems.
IMG_1229cr.jpg

Building and wicking is a breeze. Excellent with rayon or cotton. Does DL to tight MTL.
-1.jpg

That one is a 26g 316L at 0.45Ω. It's great with simple round wire or the more exotic types.
Excellent flavor. @Daniel Forsyth you need one! :D

@TraderX the JFC on the Tripod works by rotating the glass tank section. Very easy. Zero problems.
It is not like the JFC's on the Kayfun Prime or Kayfun 5.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

The beauty of the doggy RTA - apart from it's awesome flavour, is it is bulletproof with regard to leaking. Which version did you get?

At least with the doggy, stick to 28ga, 6 or 7 wraps 2.0mm or 2.5mm id coils. It doesn't need claptons to perform.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    You ever experiment with fused claptons or something exotic?
    If you're asking me- no. Once I got what I wanted out of round wire, I never saw the need. I was very satisfied with Doggies, and the build I described, and was done looking to improve. Since I liked what I had, I figured trying all of that would just cost me more time and money, and wasn't really interested in complicating things- just left well enough alone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread