Help me reach Flavor Country :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

them

Sep 26, 2013
nortex
Hi everyone...newb here...as in I stopped at a local store a few days ago and bought my starter setup.

So here's my deal ... I am a pipe and cigar smoker. I tend to like virginia-heavy flake pipe tobaccos, less of the aromatic side. I just don't like the mouth full of ash and the clothes smelling like well best not to go there...the down sides add up.

So I have a generic mechanical mod, a protank, vivi nova, and some cartomizers (i wanted to see what worked best for me - i think the guy at the shop thought I was an idiot for getting more than I needed to start but oh well). The setup seems capable of creating a lot of vapor depending on what parts I use.

The problem I have is that the e-liquids seem bland. They hit the back of my throat, but not my taste buds. I've only tried a couple liquids (from local shops) so far.

So what do I do to get something that will keep up with a glass of lagavulin? I am sure it is out there but so far I just get a vague impression of flavor. I want more! :)

Thanks!

them

Sep 26, 2013
nortex
Well they (the vapor chef) seem to have a thing for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (judging by some or the flavor names) - a strong recommendation. :D

Does what I'm looking for exist or am I on the wrong track? I have been to three local shops (they are everywhere around here...I know of 2 within 2 miles of work and one 3 miles from home) that say they mix their own flavors and tried the tobacco ranges of their sample bars - all seemed very lightly flavored compared to what I think I want. Maybe my expectations are wrong?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I don't know if you're going to find a good tobacco flavor that will mimic better quality tobacco or general tobacco. Check out the liquid discussion. Get a few more posts and you can contribute there. You'll be able to see the many, many, many, many, many...x's infinity.. liquid vendors out there.

All the flavors I use hit my tongue. I use sweet, fruity, creamy stuff. I'd recommend Alice in Vapeland for you. Whenever I'm needing liquid, and it's on a Tuesday, I try to treat myself to them. The cupcake stuff might be on point for you, surprisingly enough. I primarily use Fuzion Vapor with some J-Vape's injected into the routine. They are liked mostly for their sweeter flavors.

Have you ventured into flavors outside of tobaccos? I know what you want, but I haven't found any tobacco flavor to satisfy me. I did start with what I've been using, so that may have manipulated my taste buds into only wanting "air-candy."

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
them I have posted this so many times that I need to get a "sticky". Finding "your" all day vape is the "Holy Grail" and most of us go on a long journey in order to find it. Opinions are like A-holes everyone has one and my opinion of an e-juice may be entirely different than yours. Some like Coke, some Pepsi if you get my drift. I don't think you will find a juice that has the smell or flavor of a burning cigarette. Some can give you a flavor which is close to tobacco, but not the burning type of toasted smell that you are most likely accustomed to when smoking a real cigarette.
The closest thing I have found after trying many, many pre made juice vendors is a Do It Yourself (DYI) flavor called Double RY4, mixed at 15% with 5% of French Vanilla and 5% Caramel. I also add some Tobacco Absolute. If you are absolutely into pre-made juice, I recommend reading, reading, and reading more on the forums by searching for tobacco flavors and checking out the best of the recommendations.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
The Wabbit

edoll

Sep 18, 2013
United States
Hi!
I'm pretty new to vaping too but have tried several brands and WOOHOO if Highbrow isn't amazing! seriously the best and i hear their RY4 tobacco blend is amazing! haven't tried that as I'm a sweet vape gal....but ask Brian, the owner, which one might be best for you, he's always kind and helpful. AND if the flavors not enough just ask them to turn it up for you free of charge. Really excited I found this vendor because I'm giving away all my other juices from before, except AiV I'm still anxiously awaiting that order!! Love their cheesecake, peach and others, have more coming too...Good luck on your quest!! Highbrowbacco Flavors - E Liquids USA | Highbrow Vapor

them

Sep 26, 2013
nortex
Thanks everyone. In no particular order:

DIY liquid is a big interest of mine. If I keep with the vaping I'm certain I'll end up at least trying to mix my own.

...you are most likely accustomed to when smoking a real cigarette.

I don't actually smoke cigarettes. I mean I've probably smoked a pack over the past 30+ years. Pipes and, to a small extent, cigar are more my thang. Pipes are smoked very differently from cigarettes - you use very long soft draws of smoke into the mouth (not lungs), fairly frequently, over a longer period (e.g. perhaps 5-8 seconds of drawing, and maybe 10 seconds rest, then another draw, repeated for 20+ minutes)...somewhat like what I've read is how PVs should be used.

The difference is that drawing a mouth full of good pipe smoke is like coating your taste buds with burning buffalo dung...in a good way. It's like a strong smokey scotch, or a hoppy IPA, or strong black coffee - it gives both subtlety and a 2x4 upside the head. Not always maybe but it can be that.

The e-liquids I've sampled so far are like water in comparison. I can draw a mouthful of vapor (and there is lots of vapor, enough to blow 3-4 smoke rings) but almost no actual flavor. A hint of honeyish overtones maybe. When I hold it in my mouth there is a tiny bit of development after 5+ seconds but it's mostly nicotine and maybe mint for some reason. It doesn't have a strong odor either, even if I blow the vapor out my nose. It's pleasant enough but it is to smoke what a glass of water with a bit of lemon zest on the rim is to lemonade.

So do I need to let the liquid steep? Are my expectations unrealistic? Is it an area where you come to appreciate the subtlety, like how someone who eats a lot of rice might end up caring deeply about the difference between jasmine, calrose, arborio, and basimati rice?

Thanks, everyone suggesting vendors. I am putting together a list of everything I want to try, though it'll be a long term project. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread