Help me read this, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I found a rather rare study of snuff (presumably, India is great on snuff) and blood pressure, but the numbers do not really support the claims. Maybe I am reading them wrong? Or does ST really increase your BP by 4 (four! Peanuts!) points only? I mean, this is not an issue. Four points. Ha! Any factor can make a difference of 4 in my experience.
Association of exclusive smokeless tobacco consumption with hypertension in an adult male rural population of India - 7thSpace Interactive

Could anybody help me by translating the numbers (BP=139.2+17.4 for ST versus BP= 135.7+18.8 for abstinence) to laymen terms?

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
(My apologies if any of this is totally old hat to you. I guess I'm not totally sure what you mean by helping you read it.)
Blood pressure is expressed as Systolic/Diastolic. These are two different measures/types of pressure on your vascular system and importantly, on your heart. (Systolic is the pressure upon contraction, diastolic is the pressure upon relaxation, if you're curious.)
Normal blood pressure= less than 120/80
High normal blood pressure = between 120/80 and 140/90 (not a concern in itself, but should be monitored in case it goes higher than that)
High blood pressure (hypertension) = 140/90 or above
Very high blood pressure (hypertension) = 180/110 or above

The numbers in the study you mention are for systolic. They indicate "average plus/minus range". So the smokeless tobacco users were BP=139.2 ± 17.4, meaning average was 139.2, ranging roughly from 121.8 to 156.8
(17.4 was just the largest deviation from the average, whether it was higher or lower, so this range might be narrower.)
(I don't know why they only put a "+" sign, but that's non-standard and I assume they just used "+" as shorthand.)

The average for non-tobacco users was 4 points lower for systolic.

Next question: Does the study support its claims?

Well, the study was large (over 400 people) which makes it more robust, and the p-value for all findings is <0.05 which means the findings are statistically significant (i.e. they couldn't have happened by chance -- there's a real difference between the populations).

So this means (if the study methods were sound) there is a definite increase in blood pressure for smokeless tobacco users. It could be a large impact for some people and zero impact for others, but there is a definite difference.

This isn't really surprising because nicotine is a stimulant, and stimulants...raise your blood pressure!

Is 4 points all that much? Depends. For some people, 4 points (or more - 4 is just the average!) is enough to put a dangerous amount of extra stress on the heart. For others, it's not a problem. Like caffeine use, some people can take it and some shouldn't. It really depends on other factors in your life (genetics, stress, overall health, etc.).

They studied a village in India, where there's inevitably going to be less obesity, sedentary lifestyles, or other health risk factors. Here in the developed world, we already have incredibly high rates of hypertension. So you just gotta consider your existing risks and baseline BP.

Last edited:

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Well, considering I start my day with a Red Bull and probably drink more coffee than water per day, I don't think a measly 4 points from snus is going to matter at all. Also, the study doesn't tell us what kind of smokeless tobacco these people use. If their tobacco is as strong as their spices, then they might well be taking in a lot more nic than the average snuser here.;)

That said, it's never a bad Idea to keep an eye on your blood pressure.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Thank you, Madame Psychosis, that was exactly the clarification I was trying to get.

Mordred: I think the strenght would be rather similar to a smokeless user here. Like with smokers - they consume rather similar amounts of nicotine all over the world. I think there is something like an ideal dose and people try to get close to that. Stronger stuff-les use and vice versa. With light analogs the smokers also get similar amount of nic as with the strong ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread