Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Ok my brilliant idea was not so briliant.

i ordered flavors like, gummy bear, fruit punch, grape juice, candy cane, pina colada, spearmint, peach, pear, cinnamon roll,
mostly tfa but some random others as well.

out of them all spearmint is ok, i can atleast vape it all day.

Ok so single ingredients are missing something,
i have no clue what it is.
I added koolada to the fruit punch, that helped some.
There is no depth, how do you get depth.
or maybe its thickness.

all but the spearmint make me feel sick to my stomach after a while. And i dont know how to describe it, kinda like a scratch in my throat.

I thought single ingredients would be up my alley.

What should i try?
i have a ton of flavorings, but was trying to get some basics together first.
i have marshmallow, vanilla swirl, sweetner, em crystals, whipped cream, smooth.

would any of these help?

i also have mtype tobacco, commercial and captain something i think.
im not a fan of tobacco flavors, but was thinking maybe a few drops might do something?

any suggestions for me?

please!

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
hard to give info without more specifics. One important thing to remember that a lot of flavors are not meant as stand alone flavors. A select few flavors are good as stand alones from TFA. Take spearmint for example, you think,"hey, I like spearmint gum, i should love spearmint vape." But honestly, they dont make a spearmint gum that does not have sweetener added to it. Think about it like cooking with a chemistry set.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/336110-flavor-apprentice-flavoring-thread.html would be a start for individual flavor %

Check the stickies and read, read, and read some more.

With what you have listed you can do
10% cinnamon roll
6% peach
2% whipped cream
1 drop sweetner per 5ml
Resembles a more "premier" brand cinamon danish

Last edited:

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Yeah i bought flavors like pina colada thinking i wouldnt have to add anything.
They all have good flavor.
They just arent good vapes.

First i had tried fruits, like grape, strawberry, pear, blueberry, canteloupe, i can not imagine adding sweetner as they were too sweet already.

So then I thought candy flavors might be a better start. Again taste good, but not a good vape

Same with drink flavors.

They are missing something.
Ive got $100‘s of dollars of diy crap and cant get a vapeable juice.

The recipe thread is too confusing for me.
One the searching thru thousands of recipes is crazy. I cant find anything that sounds yummy.

I want like juicy fruit, grape juice, tropical punch,

I tried the cinnamon coz it was reccomended alot, it was a leap as i dont eat cinnamon, but i was willing to try it. And yeah i cant vape cinnamon either.

Tried a strawberry cake. But i think i bought the wrong strawberry, the strawberry ripe flavor tastes like rotten strawberry and ive tried so many variations im almost out.

So maybe i should try menthol with some fruit.
Koolada is tricky, i tried that and tho it was ok in the fruit punch it gives my throat a frost bite feeling after a few puffs.

And im not looking for recipes or percentages.
I have no problem trying to figure that out my own.

Im looking for what to mix to give it wieght.
Or is it possible.
there is no throat hit. No thickness. The only taste i get is on exhale. But the inhale is un enjoyable. It doesnt feel right.

I will continue searching for answers. But its not leading me to much.

Ive been at this diy since october so please dont think i havnt read or tried.
Im ready to just toss everything in the trash. Posting here is a last resort for me.

I got the closest to vapeable with spearmint and i rhink it needs some kind of vanilla in it or something, the taste is good but it kinda bites.

The tropical punch tastes sooo good i just cant vape it too long.

So far ecerything is too sweet and no thickness,

I dont know im prolly just a hopeless case at this supposed so easy diy crap.

Im wasting too much money

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Maybe im too picky in flavor for this.
The only mint i like is spearmint.
Tried to do candy cane but its too sugary tasting.

How do people or companies add depth to the flavors?
Ex im vaping neptune which is blueberry strawberry and vanilla, it is soooo good.
Slightly sweet, alot of depth, feels thick. Creamy.
I mix it, and it tastes fine but its nothing youd want to vape, airy, light. No throat hit.

I am soo hoping its something simple.
Would smooth help? Or vape wizard?

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I see no mention (and no questions/comments? :confused:) about the percentage of flavor you are using; the nic level; pg/vg ratios, etc.

Also, there are a lot of reports on ECF that sweet flavors cause stomach problems (the more sucralose, the more the problems).

SO - what flavor percentages are you trying? (starting at what percentage? and working up to what percentage?)
What nic level are you mixing?
What brand of VG or PG are you using? Is it USP grade?
What's your PG/VG ratio?
How long are you steeping?
If you vape plain VG/PG with nic (no flavors), do you still get the 'sick stomach' thing?
Have you read Hoosier's blogs? dannyv45's blogs? stickies?
Do you have problems with pre-made 'vendor juices'?

Once everybody knows all that, there are quite a few folks that will jump in and give you some help. Without all that, there's really nothing folks can do to help, but suggest certain recipes and offer general information.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ok ill try some candy cane then. It wont matter that i dont like candy cane flavor right?

Maybe peppermint and candy cane are different cause I don't find plain peppermint overly sweet. If you don't like peppermint flavor you could try adding a touch of menthol.

SoUnique

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2012
    Onatrio, Can.
    Maybe try some MTS Vape Wizard, to help add body/depth to your juice.

Do you have any Sour or Tart & Sour. A bit of that will help bring out the fruit flavors. Just start with 2 drops in 10mls of juice, work up a drop at a time if needed. You can also use Lemon Juice, the stuff in the plastic lemon from the grocery store, again, 1 or 2 drops.

Not sure if you like Coconut, or have any, I find a bit of that in fruit juices, helps to tie it together. Start with about 1/2 to 1%, work up from there

What PG/VP ratio are you working with? Going a bit higher with the VG may relax the throat irritation. You may have to go a bit higher on your flavor %s though.

When using Koolada, I start with only 1 or 2 drops in 10mls of juice. Anything higher then that doesn't work for me.

Try adding about 3% Strawberry with your Grape Juice, the strawberry should help bring out the grape. A couple drops of sour of lemon juice too.

Hopefully something I suggested will help with at least 1 juice for you.

Good Luck & keep at it.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2013
    Florida
    I see no mention (and no questions/comments? :confused:) about the percentage of flavor you are using; the nic level; pg/vg ratios, etc.

I have tried 7 and 10% i usually make a batch of each. But the last batch i just did 25 flavors at 10% thinking i can just add my base if it was too much as to not have so many bottles laying around. i have never gone over 10% i thought the percentage you mixed had to do with taste and not body....
    Nic levels 12 and below 75/25 pg vg and 50/50, getting ready to up my nic to 18 on my next order as im still smoking cigareetes so im thinking not enough nicotine. I have read all the blogs, tho its been awhile.

Also, there are a lot of reports on ECF that sweet flavors cause stomach problems (the more sucralose, the more the problems).

The sickness feeling is equal to eating too much candy and i havnt tried adding sweetner yet, although i am pretty sensitve to sweets in the food i eat. All my supplies come from wizard labs and the flavor apprentice so far. Some flavorings from mount baker vapor. Sttep times have been my first taste at three days, 1 week and two weeks, i have 50 bottles of juice with any where from 10 to 20 ml laying around my house lol. Some are about two months old, others are two weeks maybe? I have dumped a lot out.

I have never vaped unflavored pg or vg. Problems with vendor juices? I dont think i have problems with them. Problems with flavors? Not sure what you mean by problems, i know i like the creamy berry flavors the best. My adv are mbv blue moo, hhv's crackberry, and mel's neptune. Mount baker vapor sejuices are usually too much flavor for me, too strong tasting, but they taste better than mine but similar..i mean i buy alot of juice that taste like crap but they all have depth and wieght that im looking for...

So basically it boils down to either you guys have no idea what im talking about when i say depth and wieght, or im just mixing wrong??
    I so thought this would be an easy answer.

SO - what flavor percentages are you trying? (starting at whaÿt percentage? and working up to what percentage?)

Once everybody knows all that, there are quite a few folks that will jump in and give you some help. Without all that, there's really nothing folks can do to help, but suggest certain recipes and offer general information

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2013
    Florida
    Maybe try some MTS Vape Wizard, to help add body/depth to your juice.

Do you have any Sour or Tart & Sour. A bit of that will help bring out the fruit flavors. Just start with 2 drops in 10mls of juice, work up a drop at a time if needed. You can also use Lemon Juice, the stuff in the plastic lemon from the grocery store, again, 1 or 2 drops.

Not sure if you like Coconut, or have any, I find a bit of that in fruit juices, helps to tie it together. Start with about 1/2 to 1%, work up from there

What PG/VP ratio are you working with? Going a bit higher with the VG may relax the throat irritation. You may have to go a bit higher on your flavor %s though.

When using Koolada, I start with only 1 or 2 drops in 10mls of juice. Anything higher then that doesn't work for me.

Try adding about 3% Strawberry with your Grape Juice, the strawberry should help bring out the grape. A couple drops of sour of lemon juice too.

Hopefully something I suggested will help with at least 1 juice for you.

Good Luck & keep at it.

Thank you, im looking at vape wizard now. Been contemplating buying it all night lol.
    I have smooth dont know if its similar,ive not used it yet.
    I think i will do some test batches one with menthol added, one with smooth, and try the vape wizard.
    Definately gotta find a strawberry i like, i figure if the taste isnt good as a stand alone it prolly wont be good mixed.

Would it matter if i cant stand lemon or sour for the other reccomendations?
    Can you tell im a very selective eater lol.

Thats why some of these things ive read but not tried. If lemin makes me gag not sure i can vape it lol.
    But if i wont taste the lemon ill try it! I dont mind coconut. I have pina colada, whichwasnt bad, just no depth.

Maybe im expecting too much from diy eliquids

Just want to thanks for the ideas.
    I am pretty frustrared, but i do appreciate it.
    I probably waited too long before asking for help.

So now im just overwhelmed with everything.

SoUnique

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2012
    Onatrio, Can.
    You wont taste the Lemon if you only use 1 or 2 drops.

As for a good strawberry, CAP Sweet Strawberry is really good.

If you're getting frustrated, it may be time to take a step back for a little bit. I had to, I then revisited DIY a month or 2 later & had better results.

I've been doing a 60/40 PG/VG mix, not to harsh on the throat, yet enough PG to carry the flavor.

If you like or have Banana Cream, mix some of that with Strawberry & Coconut

ut1205

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 9, 2013
    Chattanooga, Tn, USA
    I placed an order with Wizard Labs for Nic and added 5 TFA flavors to get the free shipping. As of today, I will never order another TFA flavor. Of the 5 I have tried Cinnamon Sugar Cookie, Apple Pie, and Wintergreen. All sounded like they would be good "stand alone" flavors. I have mixed test batches from 5% to 25% and none of them are worth making a "keeper" batch. I don't even remember what the other two are and I probably won't waste my time mixing them.

I have about 20 flavors I purchased from MBV which I understand are FW flavors. Some I like more than others but all produced something that is vapeable. The Cinnamon Roll taste like cinnamon rolls, the Bananas Gone Nuts taste like banana nut bread, the Caramel taste like caramel, Peanut Butter taste like peanut butter (more like peanuts). They are good with no "Smooth" or "Sweeteners" or any other additive and you don't have to add menthol to mask the bad taste (FW menthol is good too).

I have seen on more than one thread where my flavors are made for "mixing" and then give a recipe that contains 2% of the TFA flavor and then add CP, FW, LA, and FA in the same recipe. Sorry, too much work and expense.

I haven't tried Capallas or Hansen but I have read hundreds of reviews and they don't rate any better than anything else. Before you give up try some FW or MBV flavors. If you mix your test batches between 10% and 15% you are going to be close. In my opinion they are excellent single mix flavors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread