Help - Nasty flavor of nicotine in my diy juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

steponmytoes

Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles
Hrmmmm.... I ordered 36 mg/ml nicotine from RTS both in PG and VG. My experience has not been negative per se, but I do feel like something is a bit "off" when it comes to their nic. For example the other day I made a small batch of juice diluting the nic down to around 11 mg, for some reason after several puffs I got dizzy and lightheaded like I was vaping a much stronger juice. Also, sometimes I get a strange peppery taste in my throat. It's not enough to put me off completely but does make me concerned.

I would order from Wizard Labs but they are sold out about 90% of the time I go to visit their website... I think I might try myfreedomsmokes next but not sure if I should hold out for WL

Also in regards to Lorann, it definitely doesn't work well just on its own. I've always had to add other stuff (capellas for example) to make my juice taste good.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Hrmmmm.... I ordered 36 mg/ml nicotine from RTS both in PG and VG. My experience has not been negative per se, but I do feel like something is a bit "off" when it comes to their nic. For example the other day I made a small batch of juice diluting the nic down to around 11 mg, for some reason after several puffs I got dizzy and lightheaded like I was vaping a much stronger juice. Also, sometimes I get a strange peppery taste in my throat. It's not enough to put me off completely but does make me concerned.

I would order from Wizard Labs but they are sold out about 90% of the time I go to visit their website... I think I might try myfreedomsmokes next but not sure if I should hold out for WL

Also in regards to Lorann, it definitely doesn't work well just on its own. I've always had to add other stuff (capellas for example) to make my juice taste good.
Have ya tried Nude Nic ? He's in Cali as well. NN is my second choice, when WL is sold out.

OK! As soon as I contacted RTS about this a few weeks ago, they offered to refund me or send me a replacement, no questions asked. I was amazed, which is sad, because good customer service shouldn't be so surprising. C'est la vie.

Anyway, my mail situation is complicated, so it takes a while to get anything shipped to me. Yesterday the replacement arrived from RTS.

The verdict? No taste, and nearly no smell! I had a friend smell it too, and couldn't detect any smell at all, so I may just be sensitive. In any case, it's moot, because once I mix it, the smell is undetectable to me as well.

Bottom line? Hurray for RTS! They've earned a heap of kudos.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
OK! As soon as I contacted RTS about this a few weeks ago, they offered to refund me or send me a replacement, no questions asked. I was amazed, which is sad, because good customer service shouldn't be so surprising. C'est la vie.

Anyway, my mail situation is complicated, so it takes a while to get anything shipped to me. Yesterday the replacement arrived from RTS.

The verdict? No taste, and nearly no smell! I had a friend smell it too, and couldn't detect any smell at all, so I may just be sensitive. In any case, it's moot, because once I mix it, the smell is undetectable to me as well.

Bottom line? Hurray for RTS! They've earned a heap of kudos.

Did you do a side by side compare of old to new?

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Okay, DON'T hold me to this, I'm just the messenger, but I got an email from MFS today. According to them, nic base is made from the stems and dust left over after the tobacco leaves are processed, and because those dry so fast, there aren't a lot of oils in them to cause the smell and darker color. Since there has been such an accelerated demand for nic base, there isn't enough byproduct to make nic base from and the manufacturers have had to resort to using full leaves, which naturally have more oils. Supposedly that's the reason that a)there's been a shortage, and b)some of it has come through with a more potent smell and taste. MFS says that there's a new extraction method out there that removes a lot of that and are offering a 25% off coupon for people to try the new stuff. CLEARNIC if you want to give it a shot.

CLEARNIC: Cool info, and good news. :)

Side-by-side comparison: Yes. Old is more tan colored, New is nearer to clear; but a little yellow. Old is STINKY, new has a slight odor. Old, when mixed, made ejuices that had a noticeable tinge of old ashtray. New has no discernible effect on taste. E-juice made for the test had the same flavoring, nic ration, PG/VG ratio, etc.

margyb

Nov 16, 2011
australia
So, here's my problem. When I open the nic PG, if I take a careful whiff of it, there's a NASTY smell, that I assume must be the nic. The nic free PG and VG both have no odor at all.

That nasty smell--even when diluted into a vapable juice with a pungent flavor--still comes through, both in the odor and the taste.

I don't smell this in any of the pre-made juices I've bought, with one exception: I purchased several 10ml bottles of juice from fasttech, and a few of them--notably the litchi, kiwi, and guava flavors--had the same nasty taste/smell.

Any solutions out there that you've found? (har har har...)

I too for the first time have received some 100mg/ml unflavoured nic from RTS and it smells like it has been contaminated with petrol or kerosine or vaseline petroleum jelly or oil
I have had other orders from them and they have always been odourless and flavourless
Not this time. The nic tested at 96.5mg/ml to 100mg/ml but even diluted it still has a petrol like smell
Going to put in a ticket with RTS
Quite a few aussievapers have had problems with RTS nic in the last few months

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I too for the first time have received some 100mg/ml unflavoured nic from RTS and it smells like it has been contaminated with petrol or kerosine or vaseline petroleum jelly or oil
I have had other orders from them and they have always been odourless and flavourless
Not this time. The nic tested at 96.5mg/ml to 100mg/ml but even diluted it still has a petrol like smell
Going to put in a ticket with RTS
Quite a few aussievapers have had problems with RTS nic in the last few months

Seems like vendors would smell and vape test batches in the interest of reputation.
May be a good idea to sample your zombie apocalypse 1000 ml nic upon receipt.

I transferred mine into 30 ml poly cone amber Boston bottles. Put the bottles in small Iglo cooler. Stashed in freezer that youths have no access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread