Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
@4.2v w/ a .7Ω coil, the draw will be 6 amps / 25.2 watts

@3.7v w/ a .7Ω coil, the draw will be 5.28 amps / 19.55 watts

The limits are with the battery, which is where battery safety comes into play. The Sony VTC4 30 amp batteries I linked you to above will work w/o any issues with the above build. I run .5Ω to .8Ω on these exact batteries (same company too) and they work flawlessly.

The Ω's law calculator I linked you too will allow to run your resistance (Ω) against your battery voltage to get an idea of what you'll need from the battery you use. You don't want to run lower resistances above what the battery is capable of. In the case of the VTC4's, you'd technically be able to run slightly below .2Ω, but I wouldn't advice it being new to sub-ohm'ing. Running .7Ω will be fine, no issues there.

Basically, you need to know what your battery's maximum continuous discharge rate is, that's your limit. If you run anything higher than the limit on the battery, you run the risk of blowing the battery and creating what most refer to as a pipe bomb, and rightfully so, it can be if you don't be careful.

As long as you stay within the limits of your battery, you'll be fine. IMO, there's not a huge gain from dropping below .5Ω in the first place - and if there is, I've not noticed it. The above batteries will run .5Ω coils as well, safely, all the way down to .2Ω, but personally, I suggest sticking to .5Ω and above.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Thanks! I will try out a nemesis and some of those batteries after I'm more confident creating a good coil and wick.

No problem. One thing I would get with your mech is a ohm meter. Lots of vape shops (online) sell them and they'll make your life so much easier. This way you can test resistance on something that will allow you to find a short; something a VV/VW mod isn't going to allow you to do.

Quantum Vapor 510/808 Ohm Reader

With one of these box mods, you can touch the lead wires while it's on and as long as the ohms don't jump, there's a 99% chance you're good to go from the meter to the mech. This ensures safety and until you're comfortable, heck even after you are comfortable, this will simply make things easier on you.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Interesting - I thought it there was a short, it wouldn't fire on the provari...

A short won't fire at all, but VV/VW were not made to for lower ohm coils :). When it comes to going below what a VW/VV mod can handle, you really need something more reliable to test resistance (i.e. the .7-.8Ω or lower ranges).

A box meter mod will allow you to see a short. When you flip the positive and negative leads, the meter readout will jump up and down live on the screen to signal that something isn't right; a VV/VW or VV mod is just going to give you a readout and that's it. You won't get a live output, in terms of if you touch the leads it jumps, from a controlled device.

That's why so many people buy those little boxes :).

mrmack00

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Texas
A short won't fire at all, but VV/VW were not made to for lower ohm coils :). When it comes to going below what a VW/VV mod can handle, you really need something more reliable to test resistance (i.e. the .7-.8Ω or lower ranges).

A box meter mod will allow you to see a short. When you flip the positive and negative leads, the meter readout will jump up and down live on the screen to signal that something isn't right; a VV/VW or VV mod is just going to give you a readout and that's it. You won't get a live output, in terms of if you touch the leads it jumps, from a controlled device.

That's why so many people buy those little boxes :).

Gotcha! I'll be looking to get one, then. Just ordered the Nemesis and batteries! Thanks again.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Gotcha! I'll be looking to get one, then. Just ordered the Nemesis and batteries! Thanks again.

No problem, reply back if you have any questions ;-). I have a feeling you're going to love the Nemesis and those batteries are solid! They do take a little time to charge the first time, but after that they're pretty quick, especially if you have a back or two!

mrmack00

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Texas
Not sure if I ruined the first set of those batteries or not. I got the Sony ones. Managed to get a. 9 - 1 ohm coil. A couple of things are happening. First, I'm getting that terrible, almost painful burned hit with the cotton and I've tried to use less and less cotton (will try to reduce it even more). Second, the battery and tube got EXTREMELY HOT. I realized I had the battery in backwards, which I now understand is dangerous with a mechanical... But even after I corrected that, the tube and battery still gets crazy hot.. Can't be normal. Have I ruined the batteries and nemesis? I've checked them on a cheap multimeter and its showing about 3.7 volts - at. 9 ohms I should be fine right? For now, I'm building a higher ohm coil and going back to the safety of the provari

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread