Help on a build

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
I'm trying to build a setup on my Drop rda with higher ohms. I'm using 22 guage kanthal wire, and no matter how many, or few, times I wrap it, i can barely get a reading over 0.2 ohms per coil. Should i try a different guage wire or a different material? Any tricks or tips you've stumbled upon or prefer would be great! I'm just trying to collect opinions to inform myself before trying new/different things.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
I'm trying to build a setup on my Drop rda with higher ohms. I'm using 22 guage kanthal wire, and no matter how many, or few, times I wrap it, i can barely get a reading over 0.2 ohms per coil. Should i try a different guage wire or a different material? Any tricks or tips you've stumbled upon or prefer would be great! I'm just trying to collect opinions to inform myself before trying new/different things.

A picture of my current build reading out at 0.215 ohms per coil

Attachments

• 15412759345462550527801820353736.jpg
    15412759345462550527801820353736.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I'm trying to build a setup on my Drop rda with higher ohms. I'm using 22 guage kanthal wire, and no matter how many, or few, times I wrap it, i can barely get a reading over 0.2 ohms per coil.
Is this your first time building this RDA?
Do you have other wire?
Should i try a different guage wire or a different material?
Yes and Yes
Any tricks or tips you've stumbled upon or prefer would be great! I'm just trying to collect opinions to inform myself before trying new/different things.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

What device are you using to power the Drop?

cheers
I

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
Is this your first time building this RDA?
Do you have other wire? Yes and Yes Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

What device are you using to power the Drop?

cheers
I

Not my first time building on this no, but I'm new-ish to RDAs in general and the Kanthal was all my local vape shop had in stock at the time that I bought the Drop and I didnt necessarily think of buying different wire since I had 25ft of the kanthal I thought I was set but tried a friends one time who was running around 0.4 ohms per coil and I liked that. I'm running off the SMOK alien 220w, thanks for the info boss i will look into it

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Not my first time building on this no, but I'm new-ish to RDAs in general and the Kanthal was all my local vape shop had in stock at the time that I bought the Drop and I didnt necessarily think of buying different wire since I had 25ft of the kanthal I thought I was set but tried a friends one time who was running around 0.4 ohms per coil and I liked that. I'm running off the SMOK alien 220w, thanks for the info boss i will look into it
Ask your friend for some of whatever wire he used.

A selection of Nichrome, SS and kanthal in a range from 30AWG down to 24AWG is useful moving forward.
Since you can adjust the wattage of the Smok, the actual resistance is not so important as long as it's not too low.
(short battery life and device minimum resistance limits)

Cheers
I

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
That just made me remember i just made a build of exactly .4 0hm this afternoon, but i used 24 Ga kanthal A1.
idk what you're doing wrong exactly, but all my builds are made using either 24Ga kanthal or SS of the same size (i usually use SS for lower builds though like .2 0hms on a dual coil).

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
26g with lots of wraps means non sub ohm. I don’t have the data to actually disagree with you but I am doubtful.

Dual coil 16 wraps at 2.5mm with 26G comes out to 0.97 ohms, and that is a relatively massive coil.
I use 12 wraps which comes out to 0.74 ohms and for me at least just about a perfect vape at 60-70 watts in the right atomizer.

Remember that on a regulated device there is absolutely no reason to use super low resistance coils. In fact there are many advantages to be had by not doing so, greater battery efficiency, faster ramp up/down and a better mass to surface area ratio.

Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

• Agree
Reactions: MMW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread