Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My first rda, so I just want to know if this looks okay.

It’s a Pulse 24 with a flat Clapton .45 ohm. At least I think that’s what it is; it’s a pre made, there are 8 kinds in the box and some of the lids were open when I got it so...

But it reads .47 on the mod.

Attachments

• CFCD9729-B22F-489A-B9FD-FD14604BDEA6.jpeg
    CFCD9729-B22F-489A-B9FD-FD14604BDEA6.jpeg
    886.6 KB · Views: 87

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Looks good in the images.:thumbs: I would only offer two suggestions about the setup:
1.) (for convenience only) When using as a single coil device; use diagonal traps (see image):
upload_2018-4-12_21-38-52.png

It makes centering the coil a little easier (less leg tweaking and therefore less potential to distort the coil). (There is nothing wrong with what you did; and it should vape just the same!:))

2.) This RDA uses side airflow (see image):
upload_2018-4-12_21-49-42.png

and you will likely want to experiment with the height of the coil(s), in relation to the air ports, to maximize vapor and flavor. Also, with a small (relative to the 24mm deck diameter) diameter coil, like the one in your pictures; you may want to experiment with the single coil centered and using both sides of ports, vs. offset (and closer) to one side and using only that side's air ports (in which case; ignore my suggestion #1).:)

A third suggestion, and not related to your build:
I don't know if you noticed you accidentally(?) created two identical threads:
upload_2018-4-12_22-8-0.png

If you didn't mean to do that, you can use the "Report" button found near the bottom left corner of most posts:
upload_2018-4-12_22-12-10.png

and ask the mods/admin to combine both threads, in the dialog box that appears. That will save all current replies; and no one will have to figure out which thread they should be replying to.:)

I hope you enjoy your new RDA!:D

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thanks for all that info! I did not know if that was okay to go diagonal. Another thing I’m not clear in is how high. How does the height affect performance? I think, too high, too hot?

And the double post... I’m a cottonheaded ninnymuggins. I didn’t know if reporting it was the right method but I couldn’t figure how to delete it myself, so thanks for that too!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks for all that info! I did not know if that was okay to go diagonal. Another thing I’m not clear in is how high. How does the height affect performance? I think, too high, too hot?
Yep; diagional is fine (but so was the way you did it). It is all about what is easiest and what provides the best (to you) vape.:D

Height is one of those subjective things. Yes, in general terms, the closer you get the coil to the drip tip; the hotter the vape is going to be (at the same power/temperature setting). However, if you are chasing best flavor and/or vapor density; the coil's proxcimity to the air port(s) seems to be a fairly tight window. Usually(?) the closer the coil is to the port; the better (richer, fuller, more complete) the flavor is. But, just exactly where that is for any given person AND device, is something you will have to play around with.
And the double post... I’m a cottonheaded ninnymuggins. I didn’t know if reporting it was the right method but I couldn’t figure how to delete it myself, so thanks for that too!
No worries... been there; done that myself.:facepalm::) Deleting both post, and threads, is one control ECF does not give us. The report button is basically a direct line/mailbox to the admin and mods. Instead of tagging one specific A/M, and having to wait for that person to log in, and then act on your request; it places it in a general "A/M only in box," for the next available A/M to address. Easy-Peasy!:D

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It looks great, for a first coil installation, and you are getting good advice. I usually prefer my coil height slightly higher than directly near the airflow. I usually try to leave (a tiny bit) of play when I screw down my coil legs and then (with the jig still inserted so it all moves easily and at the same rate) tug "up" very slightly to lift the coil from the deck Sometimes, just a few millimeters or so can make a big difference in vape quality. It can be slightly different with every deck, so you may need to do some experimenting. But, it's kind of fun. Etc.

Good job and good luck, you are getting some great advice :)

Anna

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Looks good. Take the top cap off, make sure the wick is saturated, fire the mod and WATCH how and where the vapor comes off the coil. Fire it a few times...what you will see is that the vapor mostly pours out from the UNDERSIDE of the coil...hmmmmm.

IF the shoulders of your wick are NOT thick enough, you will also see vapor pouring out of the END of your coil. ERROR WILL ROBINSON. Make sure this is not happening by properly wicking. My wicks require a fairly good tug to pull them through. This is a personal preference but I like the vape, the wick lasts longer and all of your delicious vapor will be forced DOWNWARD.

Now, to the heart of the matter....how high should the coil be mounted. If your vapor pours off the BOTTOM of the coil it stands to reason the best coil height would be to have the BOTTOM of the coil A HAIR ABOVE or perhaps JUST EVEN with your massive delicious 4 monstrous AIRHOLES....AHAAAAAAAAAH! EUREKA!

In this way, when you draw in the vapor, it will create a vortex EXACTLY at the point where the vapor is in production creating the thickest clouds and tastiest vape possible within that build. To find this exact height, I take the top cap and simulate how it will sit on the atty, to the side of the atty and eyeball where the sweet spot of the coil will be. If you want to double check the height after the coil is mounted simply look closely through the airholes using proper light and see where that sweet spot bottom of the coil is sitting in relation to your airholes. That's the distance that is key to the quest for the perfect vape. Of course it is only one of the many components of the quest for the perfect vape but an extremely IMPORTANT component.

NOW, about your Clapton coil. NOT my favorite setup. The coil gums up and is sluggish especially on a single batt mech. Too much wire and just a sluggo of a coil.

I have the exact same mod and atty and my favorite setup is a 5/4, 24gSS, 3.0mm, contact coil. It is a hissy, hot lil alley cat of a coil but with a MAX VG juice it is clouds and flavors for daaaaaaaaays and daaaaaaaaays. As already noted it can be a warmer vape especially with the height of the overall coil.

Experiment with different coils and different heights and different wicks and find your sweet spot.

Okay, enough from me. Enjoy enjoy and as always vape early and vape often.

-RAT

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
BF71B75C-F915-4717-8431-A460E597373F.jpeg
Yep; diagional is fine (but so was the way you did it). It is all about what is easiest and what provides the best (to you) vape.:D

Height is one of those subjective things. Yes, in general terms, the closer you get the coil to the drip tip; the hotter the vape is going to be (at the same power/temperature setting). However, if you are chasing best flavor and/or vapor density; the coil's proxcimity to the air port(s) seems to be a fairly tight window. Usually(?) the closer the coil is to the port; the better (richer, fuller, more complete) the flavor is. But, just exactly where that is for any given person AND device, is something you will have to play around with.

No worries... been there; done that myself.:facepalm::) Deleting both post, and threads, is one control ECF does not give us. The report button is basically a direct line/mailbox to the admin and mods. Instead of tagging one specific A/M, and having to wait for that person to log in, and then act on your request; it places it in a general "A/M only in box," for the next available A/M to address. Easy-Peasy!:D
Thanks! I appreciate all the help!
Looks good. Take the top cap off, make sure the wick is saturated, fire the mod and WATCH how and where the vapor comes off the coil. Fire it a few times...what you will see is that the vapor mostly pours out from the UNDERSIDE of the coil...hmmmmm.

IF the shoulders of your wick are NOT thick enough, you will also see vapor pouring out of the END of your coil. ERROR WILL ROBINSON. Make sure this is not happening by properly wicking. My wicks require a fairly good tug to pull them through. This is a personal preference but I like the vape, the wick lasts longer and all of your delicious vapor will be forced DOWNWARD.

Now, to the heart of the matter....how high should the coil be mounted. If your vapor pours off the BOTTOM of the coil it stands to reason the best coil height would be to have the BOTTOM of the coil A HAIR ABOVE or perhaps JUST EVEN with your massive delicious 4 monstrous AIRHOLES....AHAAAAAAAAAH! EUREKA!

In this way, when you draw in the vapor, it will create a vortex EXACTLY at the point where the vapor is in production creating the thickest clouds and tastiest vape possible within that build. To find this exact height, I take the top cap and simulate how it will sit on the atty, to the side of the atty and eyeball where the sweet spot of the coil will be. If you want to double check the height after the coil is mounted simply look closely through the airholes using proper light and see where that sweet spot bottom of the coil is sitting in relation to your airholes. That's the distance that is key to the quest for the perfect vape. Of course it is only one of the many components of the quest for the perfect vape but an extremely IMPORTANT component.

NOW, about your Clapton coil. NOT my favorite setup. The coil gums up and is sluggish especially on a single batt mech. Too much wire and just a sluggo of a coil.

I have the exact same mod and atty and my favorite setup is a 5/4, 24gSS, 3.0mm, contact coil. It is a hissy, hot lil alley cat of a coil but with a MAX VG juice it is clouds and flavors for daaaaaaaaays and daaaaaaaaays. As already noted it can be a warmer vape especially with the height of the overall coil.

Experiment with different coils and different heights and different wicks and find your sweet spot.

Okay, enough from me. Enjoy enjoy and as always vape early and vape often.

-RAT

Thanks! What a great reply, I read it four times.

I can see about the bottom quarter if the coils through the AF. And you’re right, the vapor does go down, like the fog off dry ice.

The flavor is somewhat superior to what I’m used to getting from my mtl tanks, but I’m thinking nothing like it could be.

I’m using those pre made things for now. I didn’t really know if I’d like the rda or not.

I thought I’d try, just to test my diy juices.

I think I flooded it though. I’m getting a scary pop. Or is there something I’m missing?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I think I flooded it though. I’m getting a scary pop. Or is there something I’m missing?
It might(?) be over dripped (RDAs don't really flood the way tanks(RTAs) do. The two most common causes for popping are inadequate power/temp, and/or too little wicking. Try slowly increasing power first (until/unless it becomes too warm to be enjoyable). If that doesn't do it; then try re-wicking with more cotton.:)
especially on a single batt mech.
:confused:
I'm pretty sure that's a Cuboid in the photo; which is dual battery (using one right now;)). It should be plenty adequate to drive that single clapton... no?

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
View attachment 735987

I can see about the bottom quarter if the coils through the AF. And you’re right, the vapor does go down, like the fog off dry ice.

The flavor is somewhat superior to what I’m used to getting from my mtl tanks, but I’m thinking nothing like it could be.

I’m using those pre made things for now. I didn’t really know if I’d like the rda or not.

Mount it higher...that 1 or 2mm makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. You want the bottom of the coil...the very bottom to be ABOVE the airholes. Here is my current build I mentioned...just cleaned it. Well above the AHs.
1f5cc07d906c03a9d6257de90f1c1977.jpg
ba5d16e2dd2e0171f7d4f88fe2a2de0c.jpg

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
View attachment 735987

Also, premade, Chinese coils suck. Multiple wire coils are cool but far from the perfect vape for me. Do you have tools to wrap a 3mm contact coil? DO IT. You will never look back. Yes, you can buy premade coils made in the US for ridiculous prices....those suck too.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Also, premade, Chinese coils suck. Multiple wire coils are cool but far from the perfect vape for me. Do you have tools to wrap a 3mm contact coil? DO IT. You will never look back. Yes, you can buy premade coils made in the US for ridiculous prices....those suck too.

Thanks! That may be my next adventure.

Reactions: stols001

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
They look alot better then my first attempt. You have both legs on one side like for dual coil. It doesn't matter just would have been a little easier going diagonally. Can't tell about the height I know the pulse has slanted air flow tubes. And as long as those coils heat from the inside out your golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread