Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
ive been holding out using rda’s for awhile. I think it had part to do with I wasn’t going to constantly drip, dealt with that counting drops with the old carto’s and was happy to leave it behind, so that leaves squonking and means I’d have to buy a new mod. I haven’t gotten my squonk mod yet but I have gotten my rda and it’s been a revelation. I’ve been dripping just to try out and it’s giving me great flavor but that’s not the revelation. It’s the fact that I didn’t have to figure out how much wick to use to find that balance between flooding and dry hits that every RTA requires. It’s not that big a deal for some but for me it’s just something I’d rather not deal with. With this rda I’ll have to figure out how much to squonk but I already know that’s not gonna be hard. With rta’s there is always the adjustments and fiddling, then the wiping up juice when it leaks a little or opening back up to trim a little off the tails that is just something that rda’s and squonking eliminates. It came to me as I was building my first rda. It was like wow, I really can’t screw this up. Now if my squonk mod will show up so I can keep my wick wet with a small press on a bottle I will be in vape heaven. For some they’re gonna read this and say “well no sheet Sherlock, welcome to the future” and other will say “cmon stupid rta’s aren’t that hard” but for the folks looking for nice flavor with the least amount of effort I say “get a squonker because this is it”. Hopefully this isn’t a premature declaration but I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be squonking from here on out.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah well said. That's pretty much where i'm at to. My only problem is the frustration of waiting for the right squonker that suits my needs. I don't fancy most of the square box type ones. My other frustration is with myself..wish I wasn't so full of sheet...:confused:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
When i tried my first squonk mod, the rest of my mods got placed on a shelf and only come down when I am building to test resistance and fire the coil. All I use are single battery squonk mods with single coil rdas anymore. Best choice I made in vaping by far. I'm sure you will fall in love with squonking too.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Your revelation Is why I've always recommended that anyone considering using rebuildable atomizers start with an RDA rather than a tank. There are some RDAs that use bottom airflow and you have to be careful when dripping or squonking with them, but even those are less fiddly than an RTA.

RDAs are much more forgiving of rookie mistakes or sloppiness when wicking, and they don't cost you a tankful of juice when you have an oopsie.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I tried using RDA's very early in my Vape journey.

Really, Really Liked the Hit I got. Really, Really Hated having to be tied to a Dripping Bottle. It Wasn't for Me.

Being able to buy an Affordable Squonk Mod, the DripBox, that didn't need heavy Mod-ing changed everything. Went from there to Pure Mechs. Mainly the CopperVape. Got all Dialed in with the RDA's I like. Then sought out a Small Regulated Squonker.

Squonking gave me the Hit I Really, Really Like without the Really Really Hate part. And my preferred Squonk Mod (RSQ 80w) isn't all that much Bigger than a Regular Single Battery Regulate Mod.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
When i tried my first squonk mod, the rest of my mods got placed on a shelf and only come down when I am building to test resistance and fire the coil. All I use are single battery squonk mods with single coil rdas anymore. Best choice I made in vaping by far. I'm sure you will fall in love with squonking too.
Yea I’m definitely a single coil guy. I just don’t see the need for two, or more, coils. Just build a bigger coil or exotic if you need more mass. I don’t care for exotic coils either though. Twisted is as exotic as I go because I don’t take long pulls and I don’t want to use a ton of battery for fast ramp up. With the 21700 getting better I think a single battery squonker will be fine for me. I’ve been using the Pico S I won in a giveaway and the 21700 has been lasting a day, day and a half for me which is perfect. I think the squeeze 2 will be a good first squonk for me until the next best thing comes out that I just can’t resist. I have the ammit rda coming also that I like the looks of so hopefully that and the gr-1 will hold me off of buying a new rda for awhile.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Question: I’m new into all this, I been vaping for a couple of months, and I just bought an RTA last week, that I’ve rewicked a few times. My understanding is that with an RDA, instead of having a tank full of fluid, you need to add a few drips every time you wanna take a draw, is that correct? So this means they’re pretty much useless if you’re one of the guys who likes to vape while driving, or while having a walk, or while flying my drone etc etc. Is that so? You can’t just pull your mod out of your pocket, push the button and happily vape away, all with one hand, right?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Question: I’m new into all this, I been vaping for a couple of months, and I just bought an RTA last week, that I’ve rewicked a few times. My understanding is that with an RDA, instead of having a tank full of fluid, you need to add a few drips every time you wanna take a draw, is that correct? So this means they’re pretty much useless if you’re one of the guys who likes to vape while driving, or while having a walk, or while flying my drone etc etc. Is that so? You can’t just pull your mod out of your pocket, push the button and happily vape away, all with one hand, right?
Yes, every few vapes you would need to drip liquid into an RDA. But an RDA has advantages too, like offering easier wicking, less maintenance, and better flavor production than other types of atomizers.

If you are like me and do not like dripping every few puffs, you can also use a squonk mod to feed the RDA instead. It is a mod that has a built in bottle, and when you would need to drip, you just press the bottle built into the mod and it fills the RDA up with liquid, when the bottle is released it draws the excess liquid back into the bottle. It makes RDAs more convenient, and can allow you to safely use them in the situation you mentioned, like driving or flying your RCs.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Yes, every few vapes you would need to drip liquid into an RDA. But an RDA has advantages too, like offering easier wicking, less maintenance, and better flavor production than other types of atomizers.

If you are like me and do not like dripping every few puffs, you can also use a squonk mod to feed the RDA instead. It is a mod that has a built in bottle, and when you would need to drip, you just press the bottle built into the mod and it fills the RDA up with liquid, when the bottle is released it draws the excess liquid back into the bottle. It makes RDAs more convenient, and can allow you to safely use them in the situation you mentioned, like driving or flying your RCs.
Thanks a lot for this explanation, it’s not easy to wrap one’s head around all the different styles of vaping. I’ve seen the word squonk a few times, now I know it’s nothing pervy lol...

Am I correct in assuming that the flavor of an RDA is in the same category as an RTA? My RTA (Vandyvape Berserker Mini) is quite intense compared to the atomizer that came with the iStick Pico 75W, I cant possibly imagine that there’s another level...or is there?
And if I would like to get into RDA vaping, I would have to get a new mod, not just an atomizer, correct? That means I won’t invest into another mod right away, at least not before I get a little better and faster with the rewicking process (or tired of it...). I guess squonk mods aren’t the cheapest out there? How do I know if a mod is squonk capable? Are they designated/labeled ‘squonk’ (sounds like a slang word)?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thanks a lot for this explanation, it’s not easy to wrap one’s head around all the different styles of vaping. I’ve seen the word squonk a few times, now I know it’s nothing pervy lol...

Am I correct in assuming that the flavor of an RDA is in the same category as an RTA? My RTA (Vandyvape Berserker Mini) is quite intense compared to the atomizer that came with the iStick Pico 75W, I cant possibly imagine that there’s another level...or is there?
And if I would like to get into RDA vaping, I would have to get a new mod, not just an atomizer, correct? That means I won’t invest into another mod right away, at least not before I get a little better and faster with the rewicking process (or tired of it...). I guess squonk mods aren’t the cheapest out there? How do I know if a mod is squonk capable? Are they designated/labeled ‘squonk’ (sounds like a slang word)?
I find most RDAs do have more intense flavor than RTAs. But that is heavily dependant on which ones you are comparing.

You can use RDAs on your mod, or any other mod that has a 510 connection (pretty much every mod out there except a couple). On your mod you would only have the option to drip the liquid on your coils manually.

Squonk mods are listed as either "Squonk" or "Bottom Fed/Feed" or BF for short. They are easily recognized by a hole cut out of the mod with a plastic or silicone bottle exposed. They have the bottle attached to the 510 connection, which has a hole in the center pin, that allows juice to be forced through it by the pressure of pushing on the bottle. (Attached is a picture of some of my squonk mods for reference)

Most modern RDAs come with a replacement pin that you can install, which has a hole in it to allow the juice to flow into the deck of the RDA. Not all of them have one, so make sure the RDA you are looking at getting has what they call a "squonk pin" supplied with it, which is listed in the description of the product, or on the box of the product if looking at a local shop. If that pin is not included, you cannot use it on a squonk mod. (You techically can use it on the mod, but you cannot utilize the squonk feature, which defeats the purpose)

Attachments

• 20180625_163815.jpg
    20180625_163815.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Attached is a picture of some of my squonk mods for reference)

Thanks for the picture. The guy in the local vape shop (in Manila, I’m here on vacation) is using one of these (the second from the left), and I couldn’t figure out why someone would want to carry around such a huge mod. I mean, it’s really a lot bigger than my Pico. Now it makes a lot of sense, obviously you need more volume to integrate the bottle.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
If you want to "test the waters" with squonking, it's hard to beat the original Eleaf Pico Squeeze (just the mod..not the included RDA). It's like a mech, but with safety features, onboard charging, extremely easy refill system, and the same size as a regular Pico mod.

You can get the mod from FT for about $16. Add a Narda/Narca clone or Oumier Wasp RDA for $7-11. It's a single 18650 mod, so you want to go with single-coil RDAs for better battery life.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man posts like these make me glad I started with tanks. I will say I won my first RDA (a Panther) and protected mod setup and the flavor was GREAT. The kid stole it I immediately ordered another one. It just arrived. I don't think I'll mind dripping while watching Dexter (and yes I love Dexter, but I don't LOVE Dexter, etc. so not that kind) but the flavor was incredible. To be fair, the first time I also used a Clapton coil so it was added "oomph" but the flavor was fantastic.

I got to get bigger batteries for it so I can do a dual coil build, but you don't have to. I was staring at the gaping wide open other side of the airflow going, "This can't possibly be right, can it?" It didn't leak at ALL.

I am holding off on squonkers because I SO need to not buy a bunch more setups at this time. Etc.

Anna

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
You have to be careful because alot of squonk mods are mech mods. There are quite a few regulated squonk mods out there now. Mech mods and regulated mods are very different from each other.
Very valid point, I really should have mentioned that. Thank you for pointing that out.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
In the context of rebuildable atomizers, strictly speaking an RTA or an RDTA are both RDAs but with different or modified juice feed mechanisms.

An RTA is an RDA, but with a tank of juice surrounding the chamber where the coils are. Because of overall size constraints, the atomizer chamber will usually be quite small leading to lower performance than a plain RDA. Obviously if the tank is big enough then a 22 mm or even 24 mm chamber could be contained within the tank. I can't vouch for the performance of these über-tanks as I have no use for a 30+ mm tank.

An RTDA is just an RDA with an extra large/deep juice well, often walled with glass so the juice level can be monitored.

Squonking allows for one handed RDA action, but the trade off is a much larger weightier mod (relative to a non-squonk mod with the same number of batteries) to accommodate the juice bottle.

I use an RTA for out an about because you can't beat the convenience.
I use an RDA at home because you can't beat the performance. I don't mind dripping and I don't mind carrying a juice bottle. In fact I actually enjoy the process of dripping, though I do use RDAs with driptips large enough that I can just dump juice directly through onto the coils without removing the topcap.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I see...For now, I would like to see where my current setup is gonna take me. I feel like it depends also on the juice, for example when I used a juice called ‘Cold fruit cup’ for the first time in the Berserker RTA, instead of in the Melo3, the flavor was so much more intense that I literally thought I had pure juice in my mouth, but it was just the vapor. But with my current favorite, Toasted Marshmallow, there’s very little difference, or maybe none, I’m still testing. So for now I’m using the Melo3 atomizer on the go because it never leaks, and the Berserker RTA at home, where tissues are in reach.

But obviously, this thread has made me curious enough to make me want to try, maybe when I see an interesting offer that I also find aesthetically pleasing.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread