Novice, please help with my coils!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I can try to clone what I did before but with a 3mm wrap, I'll go for two this time.
Now you are confusing me again... what do you mean by "go for two"?
If it's not wicking enough juice, you might not get a full on "dry hit" but vapor and flavor will be weak.
On a sidenote: have you tried spaced coils?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The mod is not producing 90 watts. You can not achieve 90 watts with a 0.56 ohm coil with only 5.6 to 5.8 volts. If the voltage reading is correct, 5.8 volts into a 0.56 ohm coil is only about 60 watts. 60 watts with a coil of that mass would produce not much of anything.

Personally I would try to figure out why the voltage is incorrect. Are the batteries fully charged? Are they healthy (new) and legit (not fakes). Is the coil resistance correct? Disconnect the atomizer, let it sit for 5 to 10 min allowing the coil to reach room temp and screw it back on the device forcing it to read the resistance again. What does the voltage read at different wattages?

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
Now you are confusing me again... what do you mean by "go for two"?
If it's not wicking enough juice, you might not get a full on "dry hit" but vapor and flavor will be weak.
On a sidenote: have you tried spaced coils?
Currently I only have one in there, I'm going to try using two this time to see if that makes a significant difference.
I have tried one or two spaced coils but my design for them was definitely what you would call overboard and I am going to have to re-attempt
The mod is not producing 90 watts. You can not achieve 90 watts with a 0.56 ohm coil with only 5.6 to 5.8 volts. If the voltage reading is correct, 5.8 volts into a 0.56 ohm coil is only about 60 watts. 60 watts with a coil of that mass would produce not much of anything.

Personally I would try to figure out why the voltage is incorrect. Are the batteries fully charged? Are they healthy (new) and legit (not fakes). Is the coil resistance correct? Disconnect the atomizer, let it sit for 5 to 10 min allowing the coil to reach room temp and screw it back on the device forcing it to read the resistance again. What does the voltage read at different wattages?
So I fully charged my batteries, and last night when my species ran out of battery, I put my tfv16 tank (because I had been using it all day that day) onto my aegis mini with the conical mesh coil, and the aegis mini was putting out much more vapor on the same coil, with 5 less watts, and a lower voltage than the smok species was. After the fact I decided to try putting my RTA on the aegis mini and see if its just the mod that is the issue, however it seems to be a combination of coil design and the mod itself thats causing the issue because the vapor production on the aegis mini is also rather low, unless I use the TFV16 sub ohm tank.
I am unsure at this point if my wicking is actually an issue because when I hit the RTA on the smok species it tastes a little dry, but when I hit it on the aegis mini it's a little too wet.
I do believe I am going to need to pick up a more reliable mod however if anyone has any more insight it is always welcome, as always I am very new to vaping and I could definitely be wrong about any number of these things. Thank you all for your help and advice so far!

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
I have also messed with my ramp up settings and that still does not seem to be the issue, unless my mod simply does not have a powerful enough ramp up time for what I'm trying to do with it, I am unsure.
in short:
both tfv16 and zeus rta with my wrap in it produce significantly less vapor while attached to smok species mod, but seem to function as expected on aegis mini, I believe coil design with my rta may have something to do with it but I am rather convinced it has to do with the battery as well

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Forgive me if this sounds odd... is there a chance you have the batteries installed incorrectly? Some (but not most) two battery mods have option to run on single battery... if one was upside down it would only be using one and be under-powered. Is the Aegis Mini two battery or one? Of course, there is the issue of Smok having a bad reputation. I'm really just guessing at this point.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
The aegis mini is an integrated battery I believe it is a lipo, I just double checked and the batteries are properly installed on the species.
I can't help but think maybe it is malfunctioning because juice has leaked into it in the past. I havent had consistent issues with leaking but it has happened once or twice in the past and that worries me slightly.
The mod itself (smok species) also does not have any battery venting, which is something I know nothing about, but could it possibly be causing the batteries themselves to reduce in performance?
Forgive me if this sounds odd... is there a chance you have the batteries installed incorrectly? Some (but not most) two battery mods have option to run on single battery... if one was upside down it would only be using one and be under-powered. Is the Aegis Mini two battery or one? Of course, there is the issue of Smok having a bad reputation. I'm really just guessing at this point.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
I looked it up... 80 watt internal battery mod. Last thought (someone already mentioned) issues with the batteries. Does your external charger show charge voltage? I hope you are not relying on USB charging for the Smok mod. I really don't mean to sound like I'm "dissin" you... just trying to help.
I recently just purchased a hohm tech charger to go with my hohm tech batteries, I liked the price on it, but before I had purchased it I was in fact relying on micro usb charging simply because I didn't have the funds to purchase a battery charger at the same time as I purchased the mod. I know thats not ideal but if thats my issue then lesson learned!

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
Some people have taken mods (that had juice leak into them) and (after removing batteries) soaked in alcohol then dry (for a long time) I have no experience with this...
I have heard of people doing this with computer parts like motherboards as well, I think I am too afraid of blood and gore to do that
:pop: this thread is hilarious!
well I'm glad you can laugh at it!

I understand... on a super low budget myself... we have to make choices for better or worse.
I like the smok products but if I have to purchase a more analog mod in order to properly use my RTA thats totally acceptable to me, I suppose I will just have to wait on building coils.
I still don't understand why the tfv 16 seems to fire better while attached to the aegis mini, I would like to figure that one out eventually. Maybe this thing really is just trash, I have no idea.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If said coil works as expected on a different mod, then the obvious conclusion is the Smok has given up the ghost. Especially since it has been subjected to a regular e-juice bath. I also wouldn’t rule out the batteries, but Smok is not known for their reliability, so my bet is pointing to the Species is on it’s last legs and should not be used.

Do not know what you mean by a “more analog mod”. If you wish to experiment with highish watt vaping, taking the batteries restrictions into account, then look for a quality regulated mod. If you enjoy Geekvape, both the Aegis Legend and Aegis X are good candidates.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
If said coil works as expected on a different mod, then the obvious conclusion is the Smok has given up the ghost. Especially since it has been subjected to a regular e-juice bath. I also wouldn’t rule out the batteries, but Smok is not known for their reliability, so my bet is pointing to the Species is on it’s last legs and should not be used.

Do not know what you mean by a “more analog mod”. If you wish to experiment with highish watt vaping, taking the batteries restrictions into account, then look for a quality regulated mod. If you enjoy Geekvape, both the Aegis Legend and Aegis X are good candidates.
This one I purchased because it was touch screen and 230 watts, it seems like most mods do about 200 watts anyway. A few of my friends IRL said that it was a gimmicky mod and it wouldn't be that great, told me to go with something like a DNA chip or just something that is more like your average mod because it will be more reliable. I think you're probably correct and thats what I'm experiencing. I am leaning towards the aegis legend and the aegis squonk (this squonk stuff is just interesting), I think the mini powers my atomizers that are inteded for "dispensary products" rather well and holds its battery life under that low wattage use rather well. I am going to do more research and take into account more specs in the future when I purchase a new mod. I did not watch any reviews on the species until after purchase (big mistake) although I wasn't very disappointed in it until now.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
I'm gonna be the outlier again and bet that it's not the mod. It may be because of leaking atomizers, but that still wouldn't be the mod. :rolleyes:
I will refuse to rule out this possibility just so that I'm not ignorant of it if I come to find evidence of this.
I'll try playing around with my settings a little more but there isn't a whole lot I can change with this mod, I might play with TC mode as well and I'll post results if anyone is interested.
Please remember though, I'm extremely new to vaping and if I handed my setup to one of y'all experienced users in person you might know exactly what the problem is right off the bat.

KohKoh

Mar 24, 2020
How does a leaking atomizer limit the voltage to 5.8 volts when 7.1 volts is required to meet the 90 watts request?
I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert on this topic or that any of my other electronics would be anything like the mod, however my phone does in fact do very odd things if I say, use it while in the bathtub and my fingers are slightly damp, or try to text in the rain.
I don't think I can manually change the voltage though so I don't think it would have anything to do with the touch screen being wet unless maybe its causing a minor short somewhere and thats whats causing the mod to act weird.
However like I said I really don't know much and I'm not pretending to know if thats even possible.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I will refuse to rule out this possibility just so that I'm not ignorant of it if I come to find evidence of this.
I'll try playing around with my settings a little more but there isn't a whole lot I can change with this mod, I might play with TC mode as well and I'll post results if anyone is interested.
Please remember though, I'm extremely new to vaping and if I handed my setup to one of y'all experienced users in person you might know exactly what the problem is right off the bat.

Personally I wouldn’t mess with the mod at all. It is displaying conflicting information so who knows what it is doing. Why take the risk? Not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread