Help/suggestions for a new Mech user. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonholmes89

May 5, 2014
United States
So outside of egos/twists/vv simple batteries and protanks and protank minis, my first decent set-up is the Kanger Subtank and an IPV mini 30watt.

(I know everyone has it)

But anyways I am looking in a mech mod or bigger box mod.

30 watts isnt enough...i think. I got a Kennedy RDA (clone) to mess around/because i dont always want to vape a full tank of one juice, i like to drip and change flavors frequently when im at home.

I have to build over .7 ohms -->

(right now i have a 1.2 ohm build in it, the guys at the vapor shop who helped me, had never built a coil over .7 ohms haha)

-->or else my battery drops too low, and i can only vape for like 20 minutes before my IPV gets drained. Meaning for me to build a duel coil, its like 15 wraps of 24 gauge at 3mm haha and it that doesnt even fit in my dripper.....

SOOO bottom line, im broke but i love vaping and want to drip more and build more.

Suggestions for inexpensive mech mods (id love to spend less than $50) (that are reliable and functional) or should i just get a bigger box mod?

Did i read somewhere that what your mod is made out of helps with voltage drop/performance? Should i get copper? does it matter?

Thanks for helping me out :toast:

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
jasonholmes89:15415494 said:
ive thought about that, but i wonder if its enough? will i be able to conveniently build what i want (within reason)?

Believe it fires down to .2 ohms. It's better than diving into mech mods without much knowledge on battery safety and ohms law.

And copper has a lower voltage drop than brass. So copper will generally hit harder. If you do dive into a smpl you CANNOT use the subtank as it causes a hard short because of the 510 pin

Last edited:

Requiem33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Inwood, WV
Of all of the devices I have owned over the years I have ever only owned (still do) 1 only 1 mech mod. Not my favorite by any means. Sure some people love mech's. I'm not one of them. My current go to for sub ohm is my Sigelei 150W or my eleaf istick 50W. Both handle anything I throw on them. Which is currently a .4 on my Doge V2 and a .6 on my atlantis and subtanks.

jasonholmes89

May 5, 2014
United States
Of all of the devices I have owned over the years I have ever only owned (still do) 1 only 1 mech mod. Not my favorite by any means. Sure some people love mech's. I'm not one of them. My current go to for sub ohm is my Sigelei 150W or my eleaf istick 50W. Both handle anything I throw on them. Which is currently a .4 on my Doge V2 and a .6 on my atlantis and subtanks.

So 50 watts can handle most of things you throw at it? Thats all i want

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
jasonholmes89:15415524 said:
I am starting the learning the process for battery safety and i got an A+ in physics and am brushing up on Ohms law.... So if you feel the Mech route is better, then please tell me because the safety concerns will not go un-checked

The bad thing about a mech mod is that you will never have a consistent vape. As you vape the voltage drops thus creating less wattage and a varying vape. Also the only way to tweak the vape is by changing the coils. With a regulated just the push of a button. Downside to regulated is if the chip fries then no more vape whereas a mech has no wiring, but if you don't check and you hard short your battery it can vent.

Also, you will be spending more than $50 for the smpl clone. You'll need the clone $20, 2 batteries $6 and a good charger $25 not including shipping.

50 watts is more than enough. Basically the same as building a .36 ohm build on a mech with 0 voltage drop.

Last edited:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am starting the learning the process for battery safety and i got an A+ in physics and am brushing up on Ohms law.... So if you feel the Mech route is better, then please tell me because the safety concerns will not go un-checked
If you're willing to do the necessary homework and get the equipment you need to operate a mech safely ie a digital multimeter & ohm meter , there's no regulated device that offers the reliability , look and feel of a good mech . Copper is the best route for conductivity and low voltage drop but it requires regular cleaning , no big deal , I enjoy my time spent cleaning and polishing my mechs . There is a way to have the benefits of copper but lessen the maintenance time by going with a Stingray X , all copper internally with stainless steel wrapped around it , one of my favorite mods right now . I'll link you to an excellent clone at a great price . $34.30-$35.99 (Ship from USA)SXK 18650 Stingray X Clone Mechanical Mod

Requiem33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Inwood, WV
So 50 watts can handle most of things you throw at it? Thats all i want

My eleaf iStick 50W fires all of my tanks and my RDA. The lowest build I've done on my RDA so far has been a .4 build. I think the iStick can handle down to a .2 ohm build. Now my Sigelei 150W can handle down to a .1 ohm build. If you want someting under the $100 mark then the eleaf iStick is great. If you want something just at the $100 mark the Sigelei 150W can handle anything you throw at it and on deals currently for $99 at a lot of shops.

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Hey- I've decided to go mech myself just recently (still waiting on my shipment), but it was relatively cheap. A Nitecore charger, clone mod (M16), and batteries (2 Samsung 25R) from FT are costing me around ...$44? 5% off batteries+battery related items when I ordered (last week) so $42 range. Free shipping. The wait's the only annoyance. Copper vs brass vs SS (for the body) seem only to be an issue if you're super sub-ohming (assuming the construction/materials are good to start with) since the resistance of the body's relatively negligible given the amount of material used/distance of the circuit (and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but from everything I've read so far, that's the conclusion I've drawn).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread