Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Having a hard time getting my Dead Rabbit rda to stop popping and sputtering. I’m using it on a VT inbox. So far the only thing that’s helped is dropping the power down, but then I lose the flavor. I’ve got two setups and different wattages on both. One is 0.5 ohms at 30W and the other is 0.3 ohms at 50W. Ideas would help. I really enjoy the higher limits of my coils but get tired of the juice spitting in my face.

Reactions: Superuser187

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Having a hard time getting my Dead Rabbit rda to stop popping and sputtering. I’m using it on a VT inbox. So far the only thing that’s helped is dropping the power down, but then I lose the flavor. I’ve got two setups and different wattages on both. One is 0.5 ohms at 30W and the other is 0.3 ohms at 50W. Ideas would help. I really enjoy the higher limits of my coils but get tired of the juice spitting in my face.

Beside trying Different Cotton, have you Tried Twisting the Cotton when you Wick?

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

It's also possible you aren't using enough cotton... it sounds like it's possibly in there a bit too loose..

What cotton do you use?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Just put more cotton through the coil in order to be tighter...try hold the coil with your hand also a bit in order to help it and not bend as u pull the cotton through it...
If u use contact coil gonna be easier but make sure there is no hotspots before u put the cotton.....if u use spaced coil u won't have hotspots but it's harder to pull the cotton tight into the coil...

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tell us more about your coil. I usually get popping on a spaced coil when it's cold, but I deal with it as it usually goes away after not too long and I prefer spaced coils when possible.
The coils are touching. Both coils are different gauge wire one is 26 gauge @ 2.5 id, other is 24 gauge @ 2.5 id.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I had a hard time getting the cotton in when I pulled it through. Could I put more cotton into the deck? When I pulled the cotton through I hold both ends and tug it through the coil. Then fluff.

That's where Twisting can sometimes Help.

I get Snap, Crackle and Pop when there are Void Spaces in the Cotton. Twisting tend to Eliminate these spaces. It also lets me get More Cotton into the Coil before it Bunches Up on the side oppose to the side I'm pulling on.

You'll just have to do some Experimenting and see what Works Best.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Also what I do is after I pull the cotton through I just give it a little pull maybe on the opposite way just a tiny bit and then leave it there...I don't pull it left and right a lot cause that make it loosen up in there and may cause spitback...
It's an rda so the tails of the cotton I guess don't matter in terms of spitback even if u don't fluff it....
I remember when I first start building I saw everybody said cotton must be tight into the coil but not very tight....but now I always put it super tight through the coil even on rtas and never had problems with dry hits or anything like that...

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I remember when I first start building I saw everybody said cotton must be tight into the coil but not very tight....but now I always put it super tight through the coil even on rtas and never had problems with dry hits or anything like that...

This is the same experience I've had. I still do Rayon a little tighter, but not by much :)

And I've found that loose cotton always causes at least a little bit of popping/spitting, specially when the build is clean.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I'm probably coming out of left field on this one, but popping annoys me greatly too, and what I found was that if I made my coils with both legs coming out at the top, the problem went away for me.

I am however Old School, running low powered kit with 16 - 18 strength liquid which may have a bearing on this.

Last edited:

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
And I've found that loose cotton always causes at least a little bit of popping/spitting

It's also possible you aren't using enough cotton... it sounds like it's possibly in there a bit too loose..

That's where Twisting can sometimes Help.

Twist it as you feed it into the coil. It compresses the cotton and the rotation helps it go in. Then when the cotton is relaxed it expands out to be tight against the coil. I always imagine that I'm screwing it into the coil, so you want to twist and rotate it in the direction that follows the spiral of the coil.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
Both coils are different gauge wire one is 26 gauge @ 2.5 id, other is 24 gauge @ 2.5 id

Did you just finish one spool and start another? :p That will send more current to the heavier gauge and the lighter gauge won't get as hot. But that wouldn't directly cause spitting.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
It can be tough with dual coils. Try preheating, maximum air flow, make sure both the coils and wicks are the same. Remove the cap, only one coil may be popping try adjusting the height of that one. If you haven't all ready set your TC temp to 0, yea I know you are using VW but if you are using a TC compatible wire your box could jumping over to TC.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
The popping and spitting occurs in my VV Pulse 2 also. I rebuilt all theee Dead Rabbits. 24 gauge 7 wraps 0.3-0.34 ohms, 3mm id. Using Cotn thread wicks. Think I’ll try som cotton bacon for wicks later and see if that helps. Wattage is around 55-58 watts on all theee devices.
No temp control. I’ve got it turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread