Help with Vanilla??--The Holy Grail Has Finally been Found with HappyVaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I just got a bottle of the Bavarian Cream delivered to me. I am planning on adding it to Litecig Menthol when I get home. I will let you know. I tasted a drop out of the bottle - nasty with an aftertaste of birthday cake

I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the Bavarian Cream--it would be helpful--Vanilla is a tough one so any feedback is appreciated:)--thanks Frazzledglispa

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
Hi Sun Vaporer, I'm a vanilla fan too and very interested to see what other replies you get. Have tried the JC vanilla ice cream and liked it a lot. Oddly, the samplers I got were PG, next ordered NPG and couldn't taste the vanilla at all. Fortunately the supplier Simon/e-cigs.co.uk is one of the good guys and exchanged it for PG and that was fine. I contacted JC first to check if they expect the NPG to be a lot different and the answer was 'no', hence the exchange so perhaps just a fluke.

Back to reason for posting - spotted your post in the Lorann thread mentioning you were thinking of trying Vanillin, I'm sure I've seen somewhere a warning (possibly from Kate) to avoid anything with Vanillin in it as it is or can be poisonous! :cry:

I've been eyeing the Lorann flavours too and couldn't find vanilla either, so if anyone else has a recommendation I'd be very interested. :thumb:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Hi, it wasn't me that was saying to be careful with vanillin, it was Satire in this thread if I remember correctly - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3305-list-common-symptoms-when-e-smoking.html

I really like Johnson Creek vanilla ice cream but it is very subtle. Janty and e-cigs.co.uk vanilla taste similar to me, nice but a little synthetic.

I haven't found a vanilla flavouring that is good yet but am thinking of soaking some vanilla pod in a bottle of eliquid to see if the flavour comes out.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Hi Sun Vaporer, I'm a vanilla fan too and very interested to see what other replies you get. Have tried the JC vanilla ice cream and liked it a lot. Oddly, the samplers I got were PG, next ordered NPG and couldn't taste the vanilla at all. Fortunately the supplier Simon/e-cigs.co.uk is one of the good guys and exchanged it for PG and that was fine. I contacted JC first to check if they expect the NPG to be a lot different and the answer was 'no', hence the exchange so perhaps just a fluke.

Back to reason for posting - spotted your post in the Lorann thread mentioning you were thinking of trying Vanillin, I'm sure I've seen somewhere a warning (possibly from Kate) to avoid anything with Vanillin in it as it is or can be poisonous! :cry:

I've been eyeing the Lorann flavours too and couldn't find vanilla either, so if anyone else has a recommendation I'd be very interested. :thumb:
I had read that pure Vanillin was in fact no good to use. And LorAnn only sells the extracts which get lost due to the heavy alcohol content. But all vanillas use alcohol to extract the taste from the bean--BUT Johnson Creek, as mild as it is, does not use alcohol in there formula, so it begs the question what are they using for there vanilla? I agree with you that their flavor is weak ( funny as it seems to get stronger after the bottle is open a few days??) Anyway, if they can do it without the alcohol (wich is in all extracts)--then they must be using an imitation flavor which leads you back to a Vanillin based flavor. So any help here is appreciated by anyone.--Thanks--wish some more posters would chime in here on this one as Vanilla is a good everyday flavor--A lot of others are nice for a change but too sweet for everyday use--Vanilla is a great everday vape flavor and there has to be a way to get it right--any help out there?

Last edited:

frazzledglispa

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
Denver, CO
Update on the Bavarian Cream (Vanilla.) Not loving it so far. I blended it with Menthol and it has sort of a funny taste to it. I am thinking it might be the fact that it has Ethyl Alcohol in it (I am getting the same thing from the Fruit Punch I ordered and that one has it in it too.) I think next time I will just try mixing a Vanilla juice 50/50 with Menthol.

When I smoked analogs my favorite was a 50/50 blend of Menthol Tobacco with either Tops Wildfire Vanilla tobacco or Arango Sportsman (another vanilla with a faint aroma of coconut.) I know that I won't be able to replicate the deep vanilla of the smoke, but I do like those two flavors mixed together. Oh well.

On the other hand the Lorann Coconut mixed insanely well with the chocolate liquid - yummy. Currently my every day mix is 50/50 chocolate and menthol - but that might come a close second. It will probably bump out my current second Clove liquid with Lorann Cranberry.

I tried Johnson's Creek Vanilla Ice Cream, and I think it tastes pretty good, but I just can't get that good kick in the throat with JC Juices, even with my screwdriver, so I just don't enjoy using them.

I will keep trying the Bavarian Cream though, maybe it will grow on me. I'll let you know if it does

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Update on the Bavarian Cream (Vanilla.) Not loving it so far. I blended it with Menthol and it has sort of a funny taste to it. I am thinking it might be the fact that it has Ethyl Alcohol in it (I am getting the same thing from the Fruit Punch I ordered and that one has it in it too.) I think next time I will just try mixing a Vanilla juice 50/50 with Menthol.

When I smoked analogs my favorite was a 50/50 blend of Menthol Tobacco with either Tops Wildfire Vanilla tobacco or Arango Sportsman (another vanilla with a faint aroma of coconut.) I know that I won't be able to replicate the deep vanilla of the smoke, but I do like those two flavors mixed together. Oh well.

On the other hand the Lorann Coconut mixed insanely well with the chocolate liquid - yummy. Currently my every day mix is 50/50 chocolate and menthol - but that might come a close second. It will probably bump out my current second Clove liquid with Lorann Cranberry.

I tried Johnson's Creek Vanilla Ice Cream, and I think it tastes pretty good, but I just can't get that good kick in the throat with JC Juices, even with my screwdriver, so I just don't enjoy using them.

I will keep trying the Bavarian Cream though, maybe it will grow on me. I'll let you know if it does

So no luck? The vanilla is going to be a challage. I agree about the alcohol. It takes over the flavor on many flavors for vaping. I had great luck with LorAnn's English Toffee--watch out as it will blow you out of the room if you use to much--wow what a great taste and throat hit. I will try the Coconut on my next order. What Vanilla juice are you going to try?? Thanks for the update. Have you tried any of the Vanilla from Bickford's?? Problem with there website is they do tell you if the flavor is water soluble at Bickfords, but do not tell you the ingrediants.

frazzledglispa

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
Denver, CO
Unfortunately not, but I might try using the flavoring I got in some baking, as I think once the alcohol bakes of it would leave a great taste behind.

I usually order liquids from litecig USA. I haven't tried any Bickford's flavors, because they don't list their ingredients (which is a bit hypocritical, since I don't know what is in the nicotine liquids either - but I need my nicotine.) I figure if the litecig vanilla is a little week I will throw in a bit of coconut. Not as much as I used in the chocolate coconut mixture I am currently loving, but just enough to give it a little added sweetness.

I tried the Lorann's English Toffee with the JC Vanilla Ice Cream. It was very flavorful, but I couldn't only vape little bits here and there. The toffee sweetness kind of built up on me, until my throat felt coated with sugar. Nice Christmas treat though!

I also have some of the caramel which goes well with Pure Smoker's Riskee Juice. It amps up the caramel a bit - you have to go easy on that one as well though or it really overpowers with the sweetness

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Unfortunately not, but I might try using the flavoring I got in some baking, as I think once the alcohol bakes of it would leave a great taste behind.

I usually order liquids from litecig USA. I haven't tried any Bickford's flavors, because they don't list their ingredients (which is a bit hypocritical, since I don't know what is in the nicotine liquids either - but I need my nicotine.) I figure if the litecig vanilla is a little week I will throw in a bit of coconut. Not as much as I used in the chocolate coconut mixture I am currently loving, but just enough to give it a little added sweetness.

I tried the Lorann's English Toffee with the JC Vanilla Ice Cream. It was very flavorful, but I couldn't only vape little bits here and there. The toffee sweetness kind of built up on me, until my throat felt coated with sugar. Nice Christmas treat though!

I also have some of the caramel which goes well with Pure Smoker's Riskee Juice. It amps up the caramel a bit - you have to go easy on that one as well though or it really overpowers with the sweetness

I just ordered Apple and Cranberry from LorAnn as both do not have any alcohol in them--thought it was worth a try--who knows what they will taste like. With the English Toffee you only need a tiny drop otherwise it will blow you out of the room. So the quest continues for making vanilla--Some members here must have a thought as vanilla is flavor that you can use as an everyday as these "tobacco flavors" are nasty?? Anyone out there that can help????????????????????????????????????????

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
All I can tell you is that I make my own vanilla, and have for years, for baking and I have put that in my cartridge and it tastes good to me. It is indeed vanilla beans soaking in vodka, but I don't taste alcohol at all. Just vanilla - same when I cook with it. Problem is, it's not a quick solution if somebody wants to try it. I think those beans are supposed to soak in there for about three months, if I remember correctly, to get a good, strong vanilla flavor. Since I already had this on hand, I haven't tried any commercial vanilla products.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
All I can tell you is that I make my own vanilla, and have for years, for baking and I have put that in my cartridge and it tastes good to me. It is indeed vanilla beans soaking in vodka, but I don't taste alcohol at all. Just vanilla - same when I cook with it. Problem is, it's not a quick solution if somebody wants to try it. I think those beans are supposed to soak in there for about three months, if I remember correctly, to get a good, strong vanilla flavor. Since I already had this on hand, I haven't tried any commercial vanilla products.

Well it looks like it is going to be a long wait for that vanilla Gabby!!! 3 months--ohh boy--what a long winter it is going to be.:confused:. But if its going to work, it's worth the wait. Would you mind sharing your percentage of vodka to amount of vanilla beans--that would be great. Thanks for the feedback.--Sun

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Hi Sun. I did a little google work and I see people using their vanilla in a matter of weeks, but I guess the first recipe I ever followed said months so who knows. I can tell you that it starts getting darker and darker and you shake the bottle occsionally so you can monitor it and open the lid and sniff to see when you think it's smelling like a strong vanilla flavor.

It's very easy to do. I just bought the cheapest pint of vodka I could find, took 6 vanilla beans and slit them down one side. Drop them in the bottle and shake. Go back and shake the bottle every once in a while when you think about it. I shake mine whenever I come across it while digging for something else in the pantry - maybe once a week. That's all there is to it. If I open my bottle I totally smell vanilla and not liquor.

Now, as I hit google this morning I see people saying the stronger the proof of the liquor, the stronger your vanilla will be. I can't personally attest to that and I am not sure how it would balance out in terms of not tasting the liquor either.

I can tell you my first mistake was walking into a liquor store and asking the guy for the cheapest pint of vodka they sell and then walking out and thinking....oh no, the guy must think I'm some sort of lush! LOL!

Have fun! :)

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Just reading about the problems with vanilla on here and thought this was a little something I would enjoy mixed with Marlboro flavor. Although it is EXTREMELY expensive, of any solutions available it appears to me that Vanilla Absolute may be a productive way to go, where it appears that other flavoring choices are not reported to work well here.

"Vanilla absolute is the most concentrated form of vanilla. It is often used in perfumes and other aroma-based products. Because it's so expensive, most candles, soaps, and other scented specialty merchandise, are made from synthetic vanillin. Vanilla Absolute is used in very high-end products in small quantities, often mixed with other fragrances in perfumes, for instance."

Organic Essential Oils Q-Z

Vanilla absolute soluble 1/8 oz

Amber to dark brown liquid
Odor: Vanilla powerful
USE: Perfume, cosmetic, food flavors
Price: 17.00 US $

Oh, and then two seconds later I see a post from TB saying: "Cook's Vanilla makes outstanding e-liquid when mixed with glycerine. Cook's flavorings, BTW, use alcohol instead of PG."

Some background on Absolutes (Wiki):

"Similar to essential oils, absolutes are concentrated, highly-aromatic, oily mixtures extracted from plants. Whereas essential oils can typically be produced through steam distillation, absolutes require the use of solvent extraction techniques or more traditionally, through enfleurage. Absolutes are usually more concentrated than essential oils. Also, the efficiency and low temperature of the extraction process helps prevent damage to the fragrant compounds. With a good understanding of the solvent they are using, extractors can produce absolutes with aromas closer to the original plant product than is possible with essential oils produced through distillation. This production method leaves trace amounts of solvents in the absolutes. Therefore, absolutes are considered undesirable for aromatherapy, since it is believed that they could cause allergies and affect the immune system."

But really, could they really be any worse than all the other flavorings that have more than trace amounts of alcohol in them? This is probably the source of the acetaldehyde concerns which may be due to the use of tobacco absolutes which could result from the use of ethanol, or possibly due to dilution with ethanol when mixing with glycerin. IMO the "traces" are so small they shouldn't be considered a reasonable threat, particularly here where use in food flavoring is indicated. Probably, manufacturers would be less likely to use solvents more toxic than ethanol if there is a likelihood of the product being used in foods. I doubt most of us are going to be too concerned over vaping "trace" amounts of ethanol.

Last edited:

Sunshyn

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
CT, USA
www.sblades.com
Bickford's only vanilla without artificial coloring is the light vanilla. I didn't order it, mostly because the name makes me wonder how much flavor it would have.

I'm considering placing an order for flavors from Faerie's Finest (faeriesfinest.com) though I'm not sure yet. 2oz is an awful lot to have around if I don't care for a flavor or if they turned out to be weak flavors. However, a vapable root beer is very tempting...

I did notice that they have quite a number of vanilla offerings. Out of curiosity do any of the below sound like they might work?

vanilla extract - all natural vanilla bean extractives with water and alcohol
2x vanilla concentrate - all natural vanilla bean extractives with water and alcohol
4x vanilla concentrate - all natural vanilla bean extractives with water and alcohol
double strength vanilla flavor - artificial vanilla flavors with water, propylene glycol and caramel flavor
double strength clear vanilla flavor - artificial vanilla flavors with propylene glycol and water

Smo

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Italy
. . .
double strength vanilla flavor - artificial vanilla flavors with water, propylene glycol and caramel flavor
. . .

Got me drooling :p

I love vanilla too! I'm still a newb when it comes to amount of juice/hw owned, but i have 4 TW bottles here and Vanilla is my fave. I don't think I will be getting any flavoring soon, but I'll let you guys know if I find anything =)

Sunshyn, if u don't mind I'll quote your post in the riskee juice thread, i think it can be useful to the guys searching for the right mixture over there.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Bickford's only vanilla without artificial coloring is the light vanilla. I didn't order it, mostly because the name makes me wonder how much flavor it would have.

I'm considering placing an order for flavors from Faerie's Finest (faeriesfinest.com) though I'm not sure yet. 2oz is an awful lot to have around if I don't care for a flavor or if they turned out to be weak flavors. However, a vapable root beer is very tempting...

I did notice that they have quite a number of vanilla offerings. Out of curiosity do any of the below sound like they might work?

vanilla extract - all natural vanilla bean extractives with water and alcohol
2x vanilla concentrate - all natural vanilla bean extractives with water and alcohol
4x vanilla concentrate - all natural vanilla bean extractives with water and alcohol
double strength clear vanilla flavor - artificial vanilla flavors with propylene glycol and water

Sunshyn--I have tried everone of these that you post and they all are a no go. Vanilla DYI is by far the most difficult flavor to capture. I have been soaking Vanilla beans in VG for about a six weeks now as Kate says she makes her own Vanilla Abstact to give a gifts for the holidays and this was a recomendation by Kate to try. Kate states that it takes at least 3 months of letting it soak to make her extract with vodka--so I am waiting out the 3 months before I give it a try. I hope it works. One of the bottles I used straight VG and the other I used a mix of the beans with VG and Vodka--I do hope this works and will report when the 3 months are up--Sun

Sunshyn

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
CT, USA
www.sblades.com
Smo, you're welcome to quote me, but from what Sun Vapor says, it won't be much help. That's a bummer. I figured with all those to choose from, something would work.

Kate seems to be one of the most knowledgable people on this forum. If anything works, it'll probably be something she suggests. Keep us updated. :)

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Thanks, I'll let you know how my vanilla in eliquid goes.

There's a bit of a misunderstanding here though Sun, it wasn't me who was talking about soaking vanilla before, I can't remember who that was. I'm only getting started with vanilla experiments.

The beans I've got smell lovely, I keep sniffing them. It's great to have quit smoking so I can smell things now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread