Here I am, teach me how to build please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I guess what I don't understand is why, when a new person asks how to build a coil, that we don't either tell them how to do it safely, or point them to a video that does. Throwing things in there about how we got away with x or y, when we know it's not the safe way to do it... why would we do that to a new person? It's just going to scare them from even trying, or if they do, introduce risk where it doesn't need to be. I guess I don't get it.
When you get too many experts in one place, you always end up with expert level chatter. Just the way it goes I guess...

• Agree
Reactions: Falconeer

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I guess what I don't understand is why, when a new person asks how to build a coil, that we don't either tell them how to do it safely, or point them to a video that does. Throwing things in there about how we got away with x or y, when we know it's not the safe way to do it... why would we do that to a new person? It's just going to scare them , whether even trying, or if they do, introduce risk where it doesn't need to be. I don't get it.
People tend to want to share their own experiences, whether they be the right or wrong way. Even when they have heard that something should never be done for safety reasons, if they do that something and nothing explodes, then they'll share, "I did this and nothing bad happened." They probably didn't stop to consider that maybe they had just been lucky.

We read of this all the time on the forum. Some knucklehead will say they build coils down to 0.001 ohm and nothing bad has happened yet. Yet they know common wisdom says not to build that low because no battery can supply that much current. That, or they incorrectly believe in battery pulse ratings.

Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

When you get too many experts in one place, you always end up with expert level chatter. Just the way it goes I guess...
Well, those "experts" should speak up in order to prevent a new person from learning unsafe techiques. This is a public discussion area and people come here searching for facts, knowledge, and answers. We need to be more responsible in what we say and teach.

If you don't really know about the topic, then don't say anything, no harm done. But if someone is sharing something that could be dangerous or harmful, call them out on it. Provide a link to a reference that proves your point as evidence, otherwise be prepared to be challenged. But don't let harmful information pass as being safe.

Rant over.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I guess what I don't understand is why, when a new person asks how to build a coil, that we don't either tell them how to do it safely, or point them to a video that does. Throwing things in there about how we got away with x or y, when we know it's not the safe way to do it... why would we do that to a new person? It's just going to scare them from even trying, or if they do, introduce risk where it doesn't need to be. I guess I don't get it.
Oh yes, we are now teaching a newb to do something bad, is that what you are getting from this, really. Like it's a 5 year old and they are going to do what I and everyone else says not to do.( in every post I mentioned this was not in good practice) . If anything , these posts should harden the case of doing the right thing. There's always a couple who have to sound as if they are the safety police for likes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Disagree
Reactions: Baditude

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
People tend to want to share their own experiences. Even when they have heard that something should never be done for safety reasons, if they do that something and nothing explodes, then they'll share, "I did that and nothing bad happened." They probably didn't stop to consider that they've just been lucky.

We read of this all the time on the forum. Some knucklehead will say they build coils down to 0.001 ohm and nothing bad has happened yet. Yet they know common wisdom says not to build that low because no battery can supply that much current. That, or they incorrectly believe in battery pulse ratings. Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Well, those "experts" better speak up in order to prevent a new person from learning unsafe techiques. This is a public discussion area and people come here searching for facts, knowledge, and answers. We need to be more responsible in what we say and teach.

If you don't really know about the topic, then don't say anything, no harm done. But if someone is sharing something that could be dangerous or harmful, call them out on it. Provide a link to a reference that proves your point as evidence, otherwise be prepared to be challenged. But don't let harmful information pass as being safe.

Rant over.
Is there one post saying that anyone should do that? In all that I mentioned, I stated that it was something that shouldn't be done and it all gets twisted as if I'm saying there's nothing wrong with it...whenever there's something close to this kind of thing, the do gooders come out to make them look like mr responsible

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
  1. "Hi guys! I'm a girl alone on the internet and I need help with your hobby! Tee hee!"
  2. rumble of keyboards in the distance
  3. 45 replies, white knights tripping over each other to jump to the rescue.
  4. Two days later: "Where did our damsel go?"
  5. Knights talk among themselves while awaiting validation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TrollDragon

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Just a point of clarification: When you grab a coil with metal tweezers the current will flow through the tweezers and bypass the resistance of the coil. Current always takes the path of least resistance. In this case, the tweezer resistance, which is near zero (dead short), so the current is near infinite. It would be like shorting a battery with the tweezers.

On a mech mod - bad news. On a regulated mod - it should give you a "resistance too low" message.

• Winner

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Everything is a lot. The bright side is the basics are easy...You take some wire, you wrap it around something round, and you screw one end to each end of a battery. It’s not hard. There are subtleties though which can make things go better or worse, and can change from atty to atty.
Paraphasing here, but this statement seems to suggest that coil building is easy and he doesn't go into anything about Ohm's Law calculations or mention about how to avoid possible short circuits. Going just on this posting a newcomer could get into a lot of trouble with a false sense of security. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

...I'm glad you and @Baditude took the time to give her some info. When someone asks that question I usually run to another thread. When I think of everything involved and what I went through to learn how to build it's an overwhelming question, indeed. Or maybe I don't want to be responsible for someone singeing the tip of their nose, lol. And that gives me an idea. Maybe I can pitch in with some safety guidelines?
Here's someone who thinks along the lines like I do. No looking at the world through rose colored glasses saying that building is "easy" and it's "not hard". This poster understands that safety guidelines need to be included, too

Point. I was speaking generally. There are a lot of ways that could go wrong.
Yes, there are a lot of ways that things could go wrong, but you failed to even hint at one of them. Hence, I said you were oversimplifying things.

Just squeezing the coil with metal tweezers shouldn't short, it's when the tweezers also touch the posts at the same time.
If the coil is "live", it can certainly cause a short squeezing it with metallic tweezers. A live coil is a part of the battery circuit.

I touched coil once by accident and nothing happened, so a few times I squeezed the coil while firing and nothing happened and thought perhaps if you only touched coil it was fine.i did this method but fir the most part do spaced. Maybe its because I only squeezed them but never squeezed them completely? I do know that I can fire and slightly squeeze coil and absolutely nothing happens. I never told anybody to do this however.

Perhaps its actually when squeezing. Maybe when each wrap touch each other there are multiple shorts and that creates a short short? I'm not versed to much about electricity and I definitely dont want people trying these things. My first posts was actually not correct, because I never squeezed micros while firing, my memory was of me straightening wraps or working out hotspots and I got confused. I do know that I have multiple times, back in the day , used a metal blunt tip needle to work out hotspots on genny tanks while firing with no issues and also have tried it on regular rta coils just to see. I have often heard that your not suppose to do this and now I have no need to, but curious to why nothing ever happened when I did it.
Do you proof read what you write? Because you are all over the map in these two posts.

When you introduce metal tweezers (or any other metal object) to coils and fire them, it lowers the ohms to near 0 (hard short) and makes the mod put too much power to the coil. If you are just poking at the coil, you are probably not making a good connection between the metal object and the coil to lower the ohms to its failure point. If you press the object onto the coil and get a good enough connection, the coil will short and fail. This is why squeezing the coil with metal tweezeers shorts it out so well, it makes a solid connection to the coil and will introduce too much metal into the circuit.
This. :thumb:
gpjoe said:
Just a point of clarification: When you grab a coil with metal tweezers the current will flow through the tweezers and bypass the resistance of the coil. Current always takes the path of least resistance. In this case, the tweezer resistance, which is near zero (dead short), so the current is near infinite. It would be like shorting a battery with the tweezers.

On a mech mod - bad news.
:thumbs:
:thumb:

Oh yes, we are now teaching a newb to do something bad, is that what you are getting from this, really. Like it's a 5 year old and they are going to do what I and everyone else says not to do.( in every post I mentioned this was not in good practice) . If anything , these posts should harden the case of doing the right thing. There's always a couple who have to sound as if they are the safety police for likes.

Is there one post saying that anyone should do that? In all that I mentioned, I stated that it was something that shouldn't be done and it all gets twisted as if I'm saying there's nothing wrong with it...whenever there's something close to this kind of thing, the do gooders come out to make them look like mr responsible.
You never said "never do this" until someone called you out on it as being unsafe.

@vapdivrr I am not intentionally picking on you and it is nothing personal against you. I enjoy reading your posts (you're one of the old timers like myself) and you always have useful comments. I hope there are no hard feelings. I just don't like reading about unsafe tactics, and when I read them I feel a responsibility to oppose them for our vaping community. If that makes me the safety police, so be it.

My appologies to everyone for such a long post.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Baditude – Well said sir :thumb:

Winding a wire around jig then screwing onto a deck is not overly complicated. The skill set can be acquired quite easily. It is understanding how that wire will function and or any ramifications should something be incorrect that is important.

Someone asking to be educated on coil building leads me to believe they wish to know the RIGHT way of building, and not shorts cuts or simplified methods that neglects key attributes and or proper safety measures.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So what is the purpose of using ceramic tipped tweezers then if non-ceramic ones don't cause shorts?

My assumption is ceramic tweezers are nonconductive, while metalic tweezers are.
That is a question. I am assuming it is because ceramic ones never cause shorts and metal ones only sometimes do. Myself I don’t even own a pair of ceramic tweezers.

The logic of “if ceramic tweezers exist they must be necessary” doesn’t work. Just because someone wants to sell you something doesn’t mean you have to have it. There were numerous “required” accessories such as disposable plastic gloves and Pipettes and scientific glassware that were considered “required” when DIY juice first got going that turned out to be completely unnecessary and a waste of time.
Ceramic tweezers strike me personally as semi-optional. It IS possible to make mistakes with metal tweezers that are not possible to make with ceramic ones.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States

I didn't individually call you out, but since you did me, ok, lets go.

This is the NEW MEMBERS forum. A noob started a thread here titled,

In response she's told to attach one end of the coil to one end of her battery; and the other end of the coil to the other end of her battery. Told that using metal tweezers on a live coil is fine. Oops, it might not be, etc. I could be mistaken, but I only recall one person who posted actual usable instructions, in a video, that might have helped this new person asking for help.

I realize that everyone wanted to help her. I thought maybe people had forgotten that this was a noob. That she needed basic information on how to create a decent coil, safely.

So, yes, I said something. I'm sorry that you didn't like it, but frankly, I really do not care.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That is a question. I am assuming it is because ceramic ones never cause shorts and metal ones only sometimes do. Myself I don’t even own a pair of ceramic tweezers.

The logic of “if ceramic tweezers exist they must be necessary” doesn’t work. Just because someone wants to sell you something doesn’t mean you have to have it.

Ceramic tweezers strike me personally as semi-optional. It IS possible to make mistakes with metal tweezers that are not possible to make with ceramic ones.
I agree with your statement that ceramic tweezers are semi-optional. However, they do offer another layer of safety while working with lithium batteries, especially if you make compressed coils and fire your battery at the same time. Just about every You Tube tutorial I've ever seen uses them when demonstrating how to make a coil. Seems to be a good investment, especially for someone new to making their own coils.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So is squeezing a coil different then proding one? I now remember exactly what I was doing and it was in my genny days. You had to work out hotspots as the coil was glowing and was recommended to use like a toothpick, but once I said "would it really short of I proded with metal" so I did, I used a blunt tip needle and nothing happened. I use to do that alot back in the day. So now with coils, I straighten wraps with that same needle while I fire the button on occasion. So actually I dont fire and squeeze coils, my bad, couldnt actually remember, but have straighten individual wraps and nothing has ever happened. I now use 26g and dont need to mess with them, but I just thought because of those times, that it had something to do with only touching coil and nothing else...

i don’t squeeze my coils with tweezers when they’re live (I would assume to create compressed coils) so I don’t know. I like spaced coils so I don’t do it. I do use a tweezer to reposition individual coil loops but I do it when the wire is dead.

I am merely reacting to an earlier post by another member, as well as your report that you weren’t having a problem when you were using tweezers. Now you seem to be saying you instead use a pin which is one conductor not a loop, so this is getting a bit confusing. My statement is based on my experience with using metallic tweezers on coils, as well as with mesh wicks and how carbon buildup is used to make them non conductive.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I didn't individually call you out, but since you did me, ok, lets go.

This is the NEW MEMBERS forum. A noob started a thread here titled,

In response she's told to attach one end of the coil to one end of her battery; and the other end of the coil to the other end of her battery. Told that using metal tweezers on a live coil is fine. Oops, it might not be, etc. I could be mistaken, but I only recall one person who posted actual usable instructions, in a video, that might have helped this new person asking for help.

I realize that everyone wanted to help her. I thought maybe people had forgotten that this was a noob. That she needed basic information on how to create a decent coil, safely.

So, yes, I said something. I'm sorry that you didn't like it, but frankly, I really do not care.
As the person who regrets the way he phrased that battery and loop comment I am forced to agree. There appear to be a couple of different schools of thought on the best way to teach someone to build and they are competing. It’s making a bit of a mess.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My father was a successful self employed carpenter, and when I was young he often told me, "Use the right tool for the right job."

The following tools are the right tools for the job that will allow you to make coils safer and easier. Are they all a requirement? No, absolutely not. But having them handy makes coil making oh so much easier.
  • Resistance wire – kanthal, stainless steel, nickel, nichrome, etc.
  • Flush wire cutters – wire cutters that can cut close in small spaces
  • Tweezers – preferably ceramic tipped, to pinch your coils while pulsing
  • Small metal rods – a precision screwdriver set, or coiling tool
  • Needle nosed pliers - used to pull/straighten the wire
  • Organic cotton – or whichever wicking material you prefer
  • Scissors – to trim your cotton
  • An ohm reader – or a mod that accurately detects coil resistance
  • A coil jig – it can make your life a lot easier
  • A second vape – to vape on while you’re building those coils, silly
5673300-2-thumb.jpg
1883305-3-thumb.jpg
4471801-4-thumb.jpg
5695701-3-thumb.jpg
1401904-2-thumb.jpg
1534303-3-thumb.jpg
2086800-11-thumb.jpg

This is all covered in my blog Information Resources for Your First RBA

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You guys know I would never tell anybody to do anything unsafe. This place has been special to me since 2012 and all I like to do is keep people from smoking. My first post was something that I thought was true , meaning I thought you had to touch coil to metal to posts because of what happened to me in those times. With that said, it still was a post that sounds ridiculous to do, because it's very easy to touch a post in that situation, so it sounds scary and never thought anyone would consider doing it because I mentioned it....I was wrong however because it was a while ago and I remembered it wasnt actually compressing, but proding and in my second post I mentioned I never told anyone ever before that I did this or told anyone to do this and in my 4th post mentioned it was something no one should do. I would never say something like," dont worry about doing this, as it's ok to do", or "they are just saying that to scare you and dont listen to them" because that is not me at all. My post mentions always sounded as if i knew it was wrong and never came off as if to say one should try it.....it was more of a curiosity of why nothing happened and i really doubt that the OP at any time wanted to try it. Anyways , i am sorry to the OP if i put doubts or thoughts on this subject that were confusing and didnt mean harm at all......

• Winner

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i don’t squeeze my coils with tweezers when they’re live (I would assume to create compressed coils) so I don’t know. I like spaced coils so I don’t do it. I do use a tweezer to reposition individual coil loops but I do it when the wire is dead.

I am merely reacting to an earlier post by another member, as well as your report that you weren’t having a problem when you were using tweezers. Now you seem to be saying you instead use a pin which is one conductor not a loop, so this is getting a bit confusing. My statement is based on my experience with using metallic tweezers on coils, as well as with mesh wicks and how carbon buildup is used to make them non conductive.
Yes I did say one thing and it turns out it was another. I just remembered that at one time I touched the coil with a metal object and nothing happened. I basically said this out of curiosity to why it was always said not to do and why nothing happened when I did it. I never said it to mean it was ok to do however, and never would tell anyone to do it....from there everyone now thinks I said it as it's ok to do and that's not what I said or meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread