Hi from Cumbria - New vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Thought I'd introduce myself and share my vaping experience so far.

I'm a semi-refugee smoker, having smoked off and on for pretty much 40 years. The longest I ever gave up for was 3 years, when a personal crisis caused me to start again. Since that point I have had limited success with other anti-smoking solutions, including Nicotine Replacement Therapy [NRT] and virtually none with "off the shelf" e-cigs, the cheap, low power/capacity MTL variety. I pretty much resigned myself to going to my grave a smoker, which was where I was heading being diagnosed with chronic lung problems and a heart condition. How much exactly tobacco contributed to that is debatable, but that is another topic entirely.

Visiting my brother in law, I discovered he has been off cigarettes now for around 9 months and is a regular vaper. He very kindly let me have an extensive try-out of his kit [a stock Smok Mag 225 + his own home-brew e-liquid], and it was a revelation. I found I could actually inhale the vapour, and it had excellent flavour. Using the cheaper devices, if I tried to inhale [either MTL or DTL] I would violently cough my lungs out, and just holding the foul-tasting vapour in my mouth seemed truly pointless - not even as enjoyable as a cigar.

I realised that I would have to spend a bit more than a few pounds if I was going to have any success, so I splashed out on a Wismec Reuleaux RX2 21700 with an Aspire Cleito 120 tank. So far, I have cut down my tobacco consumption this week from 50g every 4-5 days to 5 roll-ups a day. Or to put this another way, I'd be on a new pack of tobacco by now, and the pack I bought last Saturday has > 43g left [Yes, I weighed it ;)].

I am looking to wind my own coils and make my own fluid, partly out of enjoyment but mainly due to the exorbitant cost of tobacco products in the UK [Approaching £20 for 50g of hand rolling tobacco]. I'm also still at the "tweaking stage", ideally I need to find a good fluid and a stealth vaping technique. While I have no problems at home with clouds, I'm looking to go MTL when out and about as DTL is frowned upon in public. I am currently under-running the Cleito at 40-50W, as this seems to be the sweet spot for me. 100W, while the clouds are substantial, it is just far too hot IMO. Even 50W generates a substantial amount of vapour from the Ceito with 30/70 PG/VG. The last thing I want to do is give vaping a bad reputation, and walking down the street doing Thomas the Tank engine impressions is probably not the best way to be an ambassador no matter how much you are enjoying yourself!

Finally, having spoken with a number of vapers online and also face to face, I'd just like to say how impressed I am with the sense of community and willingness to help that seems to be shared by everyone.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome, from another last ditch effort kind of smoker (although my docs did not have a debate with me at all concerning my incipient COPD and 3 ppd day habit, they all seemed GEUNINELY certain that smoking was the cause) although mainly, welcome and I am so glad you found the right setups for yourself. I don't think I'd necessarily be alive, and certainly FAR less happy, than if I had not finally been able to make vaping work for me.

So congratulations, great story and intro, and I hope vaping continues to work well for you and a huge congrats.

Anna

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Hi OLD GB...Welcome to ECF!

I Loved smoking for 50+ years...I got a kick out of (for who knows what reasons) inhaling/exhaling "smoke"...and really enjoyed the effects of nicotine...

5+ years ago I completely moved over to vaping...I get a kick out of (for who knows what reasons) inhaling/exhaling "smoke"...and really enjoy the effects of nicotine...but I NOW avoid the other 4,000+ chemicals in tobacco, have better smelling breath/clothes/car/home, can climb the steep Pittsburgh hills without getting short of breath and have saved (so far) $11,000+...

What's NOT to like???

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome, really appreciated.

@stols001, COPD finally got me, but I was a premature baby with undeveloped lungs and spent a lot of time in a bad industrial environment early career which didn't help. I'm not going down a guilt trip, smoking didn't help matters, but in context with other factors, emotionally it was a good solution at the time ;).

@Storm52, thanks for the heads up. That's what I believe, despite being told otherwise [from those with "commercial interests"]. As far as I can work out, the worse I will suffer is a flooded tank. Is there a specific thread anywhere that covers under-running coils? Searched and don't know the best jargon to use.

@CryptoRick, I'll need it :smokie:

Closed off today 5 roll ups. If I make it past 5 posts, does this forum appreciate professionally written articles? I write a regular column for a tech magazine, would love to give something back to the community.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Hi and welcome!

If you said what ohms your coil is I missed it. Pre made or diy, higher ohms is easier to stealth. I use 1.6 ohms @ 10 watts, 50/50 juice, for less visible vapor. My lowest ohms coils are around .18 and I rarely go over 40 watts with those. I’m sure you’ll find all the info and advice you’ll need here for all aspects of vaping.

santo19586

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Saint Cloud FL
welcome to ECF
I use to have copd but after 8 years of vaping , lung breathing tests come back normal, actually the doctors saw an improvement just after 6 months.
keep posting , there is alot of help here , if you go back , just keep trying to vape , youll get it

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome to the ECF @Old Greybeard

I am not familiar with Cumbria, but I used to go to lake Ullswater for my summer holidays.

It sounds like you are doing really, really well good Sir. Not much to add.

I was a RYO smoker for 15 years after 10 on the tailor-mades. In the end I was smoking GV, Amber, sometimes Old Holby but my favourites were loose tobaccos from a good old fashioned tobacconist. Dutch Burley, Cherry, Vanilla - all sorts.

Been vaping since Summer 2013 (or 2012 maybe?) and quit dual use after about 6-8 weeks. I have some BIG equipment but am gradually weaning myself onto a low-power, medium Nicotine refillable pod system. My chose one is the Rofvape Warlock PEAS which I got from China for just under £10 and £5 for the pods. It's refillable, obviously because I hate non-refillable and the evil companies that sell them with their massive marketing budgets. So - Juul? What do I think of you? Not very much. I hope you never, ever, ever make it in the UK. We are not that stupid to wasted £1,000s on your overhyped junk.

Dave. :)

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Have a lot to post about my vaping experience - where is the best place?

Just here is best i.m.o. for now. You can enter the never-ending maze of the other forums when you have won secret tokens of knowledge (available at all good newsagents) and can not get lost. I have got lost in the other forums and your life might be ruined by venturing down those paths.

It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this E-CIG? Long has my father, the steward of Gondor kept the forces of SMOKING at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy, let us use it against him!

I sound like a lord of the rings fan. :eek: I am not a fan although I enjoy a good film*. My 228 watt pink Wismec mod says not!

* I might be a fantasist though. Once I dreamed there was a product called E-Lites on sale in the supermarkets. It claimed to be 400 puffs (about a thousand cigarettes-worth) from a 7 pence battery and 3 pence cartridge. Oh, hold on, wait.... That was E-Lites who were the fantasists! :D

Down with E-Lites, Logic, and Juul, Vaporfi, Greensmoke (you won't know them) and Halo selling Eleaf hardware for twice the price. Down with all tobacco companies too... Blu? get real Blu, get out!:mad:

Blu - just do one and go back to poisoning people with your tobacco, eh?

Reactions: stols001

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome to ecf and congratulations on cutting down. For some of us, that is hard! In my experience, the first weeks were the hardest. But it took me 9 months to get to the point where as able to refrain completely from smoking. Drink plenty of water and make sure you have at least one trustworthy back up. Good luck!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
having spoken with a number of vapers online and also face to face, I'd just like to say how impressed I am with the sense of community and willingness to help that seems to be shared by everyone.
Welcome and glad you joined.
I am looking to wind my own coils and make my own fluid, partly out of enjoyment but mainly due to the exorbitant cost of tobacco products in the UK [Approaching £20 for 50g of hand rolling tobacco]. I'm also still at the "tweaking stage", ideally I need to find a good fluid and a stealth vaping technique.
By sampling and reading fluid discussions, time should allow you to solve this search. Just a word of caution about DIY, for the first six months of vaping, most folks are getting their vaping legs (finding the best set up for them and getting to know the type of flavors they enjoy most). Might want to wait the 6 months or so before mixing and only then, until you feel you are ready. If your vape equipment is fairly stable and you have known/predictable responses to several e-liquids flavors with this equipment, your chances of DIY mixing success will be greater. DIY tends to work best and reward those who wait patiently and read everything before they attempt full DIY.
I am looking to wind my own coils and make my own fluid, partly out of enjoyment but mainly due to the exorbitant cost of tobacco products in the UK [Approaching £20 for 50g of hand rolling tobacco]. I'm also still at the "tweaking stage",
Coil building should not be a problem, If you can bend paper clips and thread a needle, you can build your own coils and wick them. It's that simple. All you need is wire and a round rod (small screw drivers work) with approximately 1/8 inch od plus a wire cutter.
I'm looking to go MTL when out and about as DTL is frowned upon in public. I am currently under-running the Cleito at 40-50W, as this seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Might like to read:
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
http://spinfuel.com/art-drip-guide-vaping/
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Atomizer vs. Cartomizer vs. Clearomizer. The Ultimate Guide
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
http://www.geekayvapes.com/squonking-101/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread