Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy7368

Feb 28, 2021
I'm a 52 y/o man who has just been diagnosed with a blood clot in my leg. I've smoked since I was 11 years old. I have not smoked for a week now. My query is that I am on blood thinners (tinzaparin) and am due a follow up echo as urgent outpatient. Is it safe for me to vape? Sorry for the long winded questions I'm just very scared. Thank you.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    That's a decision between you and your doctor. I'm a retired physician who feels that vaping is a safer alternative to smoking, but not all physicians feel this way. Many are downright anti- vaping. I do not know you or enough of your history to make a recommendation, even though I feel that it is probably ok to vape. I just haven't heard all of your story and cannot replace your own physician. I would use gum, lozenges, or patches until you can discuss this with him/her. If s/he gives you the "no way, vaping is bad" response, then you have to make your own decision.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hi Jimmy. Welcome to the ECF. If you are a Week without smoking, I would just Gut it Out and Not use an e-Cigarette.

The 1st 2 Weeks are when Most people Fail when Quitting Smoking. So if you could just get another Week or so under your Belt, you could probably come out of things Not Using Anything (Smoke or Vape).

And right Now Doesn't sound like a Good Time to be Experimenting with something New like an e-Cigarette.

Stay Strong. You can Make it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I'm a 52 y/o man who has just been diagnosed with a blood clot in my leg. I've smoked since I was 11 years old. I have not smoked for a week now. My query is that I am on blood thinners (tinzaparin) and am due a follow up echo as urgent outpatient. Is it safe for me to vape? Sorry for the long winded questions I'm just very scared. Thank you.

BTW - Did your Doctor advise using a Foam Leg Wedge to Elevate your Leg when you are lying in Bed?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Falconeer

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Welcome to ECF. I'm sorry you're struggling right now.

My advice, for what little it's worth, is to avoid nicotine in all forms right now because of the vasoconstriction / vasodilation (apparently, it can do both) effects. If you think a replacement for the hand-to-mouth habit would help, you can try a nicotine-free vape.

Once the clot is resolved and things have stabilized, then it might be time to look at whether vaping with nicotine is something you want to consider. We don't have a lot of hard data on the health effects of vaping. What we can say is:
    • Smoking is very unhealthy, especially due to the products of combustion (smoke, tar, ash, carbon monoxide etc.)
    • Vaping has unanswered questions, but as it doesn't involve combustion at least the tar, ash and CO are not present. The indications are that vaping is (much) less harmful than smoking, although we can't quantify how much at this point.
    Naturally, it's best not to smoke or vape. Full points to you if you can manage it. That said, the abstinence option didn't really work out for most of us here. If it's a choice between smoking or vaping, vaping's clearly the better bet.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Welcome Jimmy
    So sorry to hear about the clot. I'm in the no nicotine camp until you get that resolved. On the other hand I do think perhaps zero nic vaping can possibly help with the cravings. Fingers crossed for a good outcome for you.

Jimmy7368

Feb 28, 2021
    Hi Jimmy. Welcome to the ECF. If you are a Week without smoking, I would just Gut it Out and Not use an e-Cigarette.

The 1st 2 Weeks are when Most people Fail when Quitting Smoking. So if you could just get another Week or so under your Belt, you could probably come out of things Not Using Anything (Smoke or Vape).

And right Now Doesn't sound like a Good Time to be Experimenting with something New like an e-Cigarette.

Stay Strong. You can Make it.
    Thank you very much.

Reactions: zoiDman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread