High Discharge Rate Batteries 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Batitude, if your around I especially would like your commentary.

As some of you are aware, some of the newer vv,watt regulated mods have specific requirements for use. Like my new Aster recommends a battery with a continuous discharge rate over 25A. The problem is the obvious, there just aren't many batterys that have that high of a continuous discharge rate.

I just bought two VTC 6 Sony's from illumination supply. They talk about 80C Cut rate, dont even know what that means. Different discharge under different criteria at an 80 degree C cut rate, what does that mean?

The problem is that most of these new VV mods have high watt outage potential, and I was wondering Baditude, since i never vape over 20 Watts wouldnt a smaller discharge rate work just fine? You know, in a higher watt potential mod, if you keep the Watts down can you use a lower discharge rate battery then what manual specifies? Just wondering. I mean, do you only need the high discharge rate if your vaping at a really high watt level? Since the Aster can produce up to 75 Watts, it stands to reason. Obviously there are few, like very few batteries in the 18650 class that fit the criteria. Illum Supply has one the two VTC5, that do, but they are sold out. The other VTC5 really doesnt fit the criteria. Its a rather odd problem, the vape industry has created VV mods, which dont have hardly any batteries that meet the requirement to use them.

I've always been content with my LG batteries, which I believe are around 20A continuous. I like em better then the Sony's because you dont have to recharge them as often, they last longer between charges. The question in the last paragraph I cant find an answer for anywhere on the internet.

Oh and Baditude I didnt get a chance to welcome you back, nice to see your still around.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's a pretty simple calculation to find the amp draw for a regulated device for a given wattage. You need to know what the cutoff voltage is for your mod (usually about 3.4 volts), work out the amp draw at that point and make sure you are using a battery that has a CDR to match.

To find the amp draw use I=P/V (-10% for efficiency loss)

Eg.
60w divided by 3.4v equals 17.6 divided by 0.9 = 19.6 amps

you can also use steam-engine to work this out, paying attention to the 'battery drain 'box on the right.

image-jpeg.600623

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just bought two VTC 6 Sony's from illumination supply. They talk about 80C Cut rate, dont even know what that means. Different discharge under different criteria at an 80 degree C cut rate, what does that mean?

I'm not familiar with Cut Rate in battery terminology, but C-rate is a valid term for current handling capacity.

C-rate is a measure of how long a battery can produce power at different current loads. It's based on the MAH current rating of the battery. A 2000mah battery can deliver 2A (1C) for one hour or 4A (2C) for 30 minutes. Run time is dependent on current loading.

Charles-Augustin de Coulomb's C-Rate for Batteries

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It's a pretty simple calculation to find the amp draw for a regulated device for a given wattage. You need to know what the cutoff voltage is for your mod (usually about 3.4 volts), work out the amp draw at that point and make sure you are using a battery that has a CDR to match.

To find the amp draw use I=P/V (-10% for efficiency loss)

Eg.
60w divided by 3.4v equals 17.6 divided by 0.9 = 19.6 amps

you can also use steam-engine to work this out, paying attention to the 'battery drain 'box on the right.

image-jpeg.600623
I'll add that that's per battery in a multiple-cell mod.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Good information. I'll add that battery cut off levels are varying like there's no standard (and there probably isn't). My Koopor Plus 200W shuts down at 3.2v and my new iStick Pico continues on to 3.0v consistently. I haven't paid attention to my Reuleaux RX200S for cutoff voltage. I guess they all are after a few minutes more run time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread