Under a palm tree
IMG_20150625_063847.jpg

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
@jaxgator nothing comes up with that name...

The truth she speaks.

Sorry, I don't get on here during the weekends so only just now saw your posts. I forgot to check but yeah, it's a secret group as dems said.

I'll try to remember to add you when I get home keepsmiling. Can't add members to groups from a phone it seems.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Congratulations, Jax. I've been watching those too (just for the visual enjoyment). He makes some beautiful stuff.

Jim - he's got a FB group (Moody mod Works). SERIOUSLY good looking mods, and very popular with their owners.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
That was my thought as well. Well worth the price to me. It's currently my favorite mod and it was the least expensive. Go figure. :laugh:

ETA: He also sells a 26650 mod called the Numinous XL I believe for something like $25-30 more. When these went up for sale, there were only 10 (5 18650 & 5 26650) . When I saw the post, I replied and got the last one available - 18650.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I never realized that wood mods were so expensive.

Perhaps it's time to break out the wood carving tools and make my own. Making a mod is EASY, and I'm not too shabby on the woodworking.

IMG_1100.jpg

I think I still have a few good sized pieces of Tiger Maple lying around. I doubt it would take more than 2 days to make a fairly ergonomically shaped mod with no special engraving. Seems I could get around $400 for such a mod, maybe more.

What do you guys think? Mech or regulated?

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Regulated... Be the first wood DNA200 :p
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

The problem with doing a DNA200 is the LiPo pack. LiPos should they fail are a fire risk and well . . . wood burns. For safety, you'd probably have to figure out how to apply a fire-resistant plastic resin to the interior of the mod. Probably not worth the hassle unless you're doing enough volume.

Regulated wood mods can go for about $200~300 (e.g., Svapiamo). Above that price, one usually sees custom metal work, such as in brass, as part of the mod.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Regulated... Be the first wood DNA200 :p

Now there is a tempting idea. If I'm careful cutting the interior I wouldn't even need a sled for the chip since the wood is a natural insulator. I've still got a bit of sheet brass left over as well. Wood chassis with an inlaid brass battery door held on with magnets.

OK, now I've got some serious thinking to do. What I originally said as a joke has suddenly turned into a very tempting real possibility. Once I got the design laid out I could probably cut and shape a half dozen boxes in a single day. Spend the rest of the week sanding and finishing them in my spare time, and a single day for assembly.... Sell five for $500 each and keep the 6th for myself. The sales would pay for my full investment and give me a couple of grand to play with.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
The problem with doing a DNA200 is the LiPo pack. LiPos should they fail are a fire risk and well . . . wood burns. For safety, you'd probably have to figure out how to apply a fire-resistant plastic resin to the interior of the mod. Probably not worth the hassle unless you're doing enough volume.

Regulated wood mods can go for about $200~300 (e.g., Svapiamo). Above that price, one usually sees custom metal work, such as in brass, as part of the mod.
The dna200 isn't limited to lipo, you can use lifepo4, as well as 3 18650 in series.
How about a round wood body with 3 18650's in a triangle shape like many LED flashlights? :p

Reactions: Nautilusfan

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas

Brass metal work.....

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

I can do that.

The only parts of that gun that were prefabricated were the barrel, trigger guard, and hammer/trigger assembly. All of the brass other than the trigger guard (Which I did do some reshaping to make fit and then engraved) is hand cut and hand engraved. The wood is all hand carved, finished, and engraved. It's NOT a kit and it wasn't made by a machine.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
The dna200 isn't limited to lipo, you can use lifepo4, as well as 3 18650 in series.
How about a round wood body with 3 18650's in a triangle shape like many LED flashlights? :p

Actually, I kind of like the idea of going with LiPo.

I could put it behind a removable battery door in a well vented compartment, and leave the connector exposed. Then I could market it as a replaceable LiPo mod. It would make it an easier sell if the buyer knew they could easily replace the battery, plus it would give them the option to buy two batteries and charge them outside of the mod if they wanted. Swap them like they would 18650s.

As for the fire risk, that's easily overcome. Just put the batteries inside a metal box in the mod. Should the battery vent the metal would get hot, but it would keep the battery from burning the wood.

Reactions: Katdarling
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread