Higher Amperage USB Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Not really an e-cig mod, but useful for charging.

I used a molex Y power cable because that's what I had on hand that was easy to find. A molex extension cable would work just fine too. Other part is a USB 4-port backplate -- would have used a 1-port model if I could have found one.

As you can tell, I hope, from the photos, building is easy. Clip off one of the header connectors from the USB cable. Clip off the leads from one of the male molex connectors (male housing, female pins). Connect red to red and black to black. I used heat-shrink to cap off the unused leads, and insulate the wire connections.

Plug into one of the power leads from your PC power supply. Now you have 5V on a USB port, unrestricted to the 500 or 1000 mA or whatever can be supplied by a std. USB port.

5vsolution1.jpg

Here it is sorta installed, with an eGo Fast USB charger connected. Can't really see it, but the green LED is lit on the charger.

5vsolution4.jpg

A couple things come to mind: 1) I could easily wire power to all 4 ports; 2) A fuse might be a good idea. Well, I was in a hurry to get a proof-of-concept done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread