Homemade 510 pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjay

Aug 27, 2009
Southern Georgia, USA
Hello everyone,

I have been using 510/ego's for awhile now and wanted something where I could use different types of batteries without spending a bunch of money for new 510/ego batteries. Then, I thought of getting a pipe, but still be able to use my beloved cartos. With a pipe, I could choose a small range of batteries to use. There are a few great carto pipes out there, like romaniac's Jazz and SunPipes, but with Christmas coming around the corner, I did not want to spend that much on myself. So, I decided to build my own pipe. Here is the list of stuff I used:

1/2 in. PVC elbow
1/2 of a Sharpie pen
a tactile switch
a liberated atty connector from a dead 510 batt
two very small nails
battery spring
a small metal plate
super glue
hot glue

Ghetto? Yes. Happy? Yes. It works great with a regular 3v CR123A battery, but works much better with a 3.6v. I use a low resistance atty. This was going to be my proof of concept, but it's turning out to be what I use most of the day. If I make another one, it will look much nicer, I hope. I learned what I shouldn't do and what I should do. Have you ever smelled burning hot glue? Yeah. I guess I didn't solder something good enough and + touched - with the battery in there and started burning some glue. Not just melting, but burning. Good times... Well, I hope this gives you guys some inspiration or something. or not. whatever. Thought I'd share. Have a blessed holiday season.

211.jpg 212.jpg 213.jpg 215.jpg

jayjay

Aug 27, 2009
Southern Georgia, USA
First, I carefully drilled a hole on top of the pvc pipe and stuck a small nail in there. That nail was then wired to the tactile switch. Before securing the nail in the pvc pipe with superglue, I cut out a small tab of metal for the positive end of the battery. I got the idea from Romaniac's pipes. Well, the metal I used seemed pretty flimsy, so I cut out a circle shape metal disk and soldered it to the tab, which still completed the circuit. I thought the upward pressure of the battery would hold the disk in place, but it didn't do a good job. It would force up the disk and contact with the battery was wishy-washy. So, I drilled another hole for another small nail across from first nail. Then, I carved the metal disk to be able to lock under the new nail. Did that make sense? I think I just confused myself.

try finding polymer clayy and you could put it around the PVC then paint it over...that should look pretty sweet...but how did you do the cap?

I was thinking about using something like polymer clay, but I figured the hot glue inside would melt if I tried to cook it. Perhaps I could try to do it before I started using hot glue. I guess I would also have to look into the melting point of PVC.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Actually a lot of polymer clay has a PVC base (from Wikipedia).

The temperature needed to cure Sculpey polymer clay is 275 F (130 C); PVC plastics have a wide range of melting points (due to various additives) ~100 to 250 C (212 to 480 F).

I would suggest placing a small piece of PVC on a disposable aluminum pan and placing it in an oven at 275 F - ONLY IF YOUR KITCHEN HAS GOOD VENTILATION TO THE OUTSIDE and with careful watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread