Honolulu passes Bill making it illegal on Oahu to smoke OR Vape in vehicles w/children are inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Last week- (Oct 14, 2017)
HONOLULU (AP) — The Honolulu City Council unanimously passed a bill making it illegal on Oahu to smoke in vehicles while children are inside.

The bill was approved Wednesday and Mayor Kirk Caldwell said he plans to sign it into law.

Those in opposition say the bill intrudes on people’s private lives, while backers say those younger than 18 years old have no choice but to stay in a vehicle if an adult is smoking.

The bill applies to electronic smoking devices as well as tobacco cigarettes.

Smoking with a minor in a vehicle has been outlawed on Hawaii Island since 2010. On Kauai, smoking with anyone younger than 13 years old was outlawed in July 2016. Nine other states or territories throughout the U.S. also have similar restrictions.

Honolulu's Mayor wasted no time, signing this into law in less than a week. It went into effect Oct 20, 2017. It's long been the tired out argument, "Its for the sake of our keiki!" (keiki's the hawaiian word for child)..in a state which still has a Senator in D.C. convinced "second hand smoke from electronic cigarettes hasnt been proven safe". (eMail reply to me from Senator Brian Schatz 2016).

I hope Im not the only one that gets more than a wee bit miffed when others are telling me what I can and cant do in my own home, car, space. Much of Hawaii has "smoke free" Condominiums (imho: a law waiting to be challenged by homeowners).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Kids probably won't like this law at all when the weather is bad.

CkQEqTkXAAAbqOC.jpg

:D

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I believe this law was being briefly tossed around in Maryland before I left. I think they ended up not passing it, at least at that time.

IDK what's worse... second hand smoke/vape in a vehicle for kids (the vape is obviously fine) or distracted, ...... off drivers trying to get their kid to sleep while driving and desperately wanting a cigarette. I genuinely don't.

LOL, reminds me of my first biggish accident, I was on my way to renew my passport and I got rear-ended by a diplomat. I fully expected the dude to drive off (diplomatic immunity). He didn't, but I did bounce off the front windshield and was pretty bloody. The dude did not inquire as to my welfare, he just said, "OMG, do you have a cigarette? I JUST quit smoking." LOL, I did have one, but I was a bit like, "Duuuuddddde, you aren't even going to ask if I'm okay first?" With that said, as a smoker, I totally understood. We exchanged info, and I proceeded to my passport interview (they did give it to me, but you have to understand we are talking AUSTRALIAN passport, Aussies take these things in stride.)

My dad was kinda ...... off and kept muttering about how it would be an insurance claim on HIM, (LOL, again, Australians, he wasn't too worried about my personal safety OR my complaint that there wasn't much I could DO, I was REAR ended) but the Diplomat did pay up in the end, so good for him, and I'm glad I gave him a cigarette, it was clear he really needed one.

Anna

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm old enough to remember when there were very few restrictions on smoking and thinking back I'm amazed at how tolerant non smokers were. What I also know is the increasing restrictions had no beneficial effect on my very gradual increase in daily cigs over the years. I almost always found a way to smoke my daily quota. I'm sure this is true of most smokers and I'm sure the corrupt politicians making these laws know it too. These restrictions will discourage vaping but won't hurt tobacco sales or consumption of cigarettes. Follow the money.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
I'm old enough to remember when there were very few restrictions on smoking and thinking back I'm amazed at how tolerant non smokers were. What I also know is the increasing restrictions had no beneficial effect on my very gradual increase in daily cigs over the years. I almost always found a way to smoke my daily quota. I'm sure this is true of most smokers and I'm sure the corrupt politicians making these laws know it too. These restrictions will discourage vaping but won't hurt tobacco sales or consumption of cigarettes. Follow the money.
SOFARSOGOOD: Im so amused at "Im amazed how tolerant non smokers were". OK..Did you ever meat a smoker that wasnt considerate/asking if others mind if they smoke? imho funnier yet: what prevented non smokers from distancing themselves from smokers?
The only times I recall where this wasnt possible were in the 70s long haul flights. Smoking seats were still booked aboard planes (segregated of course). Flying from distant points in excess of 18+ hours...smokers & non smokers all aboard. Do we think any non smoker really was exposed to major life threatening diseases in that amount of time? LOL.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I gotta say, I'm glad I quit smoking for the pregnancy, the labor, and the breastfeeding and all, but there were times (well, most of the time) when I really thought about people I knew who got to smoke during labor because, well, I was Very Very Jealous...

I remember smoking restaurants. I remember indoor smoking, and then I remember how smokers were slowly and steadily edged out. I don't think these laws hurt smoking any, I don't meet THAT many smokers who appeared to be discouraged by some of the restrictions at all. I know I wasn't.

I've smoked on a plane (drunk) and it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not gonna lie, it was the best. But, watching the non-smokers take over did Nothing other than annoy me and make me feel like a second class citizen which really only made me want to smoke MORE. The non-smokers win, and the tobacco companies win, but there is NO win for the smoker, at all.

I think my least favorite time "smoking" was at an amusement park with my kid. The place was huge and they had two tiny corrals of really annoyed smokers all crammed in together....

Anna

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Here's a radical idea. I think the more places that allowed vaping, the less colds and other illnesses would get passed around. Since I have been vaping for the past 6 years, not only do I get less colds, but so does my family! I believe that the PG in the air and on surfaces is killing germs. I wish someone would do a study on my theory! Imagine how much cleaner airplanes and cars could be if vaping were encouraged.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    SOFARSOGOOD: Im so amused at "Im amazed how tolerant non smokers were". OK..Did you ever meat a smoker that wasnt considerate/asking if others mind if they smoke? imho funnier yet: what prevented non smokers from distancing themselves from smokers?
    The only times I recall where this wasnt possible were in the 70s long haul flights. Smoking seats were still booked aboard planes (segregated of course). Flying from distant points in excess of 18+ hours...smokers & non smokers all aboard. Do we think any non smoker really was exposed to major life threatening diseases in that amount of time? LOL.
    When I flew, I had to put that air nozzle pointed right at me or I felt sick the whole time. The smell of tobacco smoke has strong effects. I finally started smoking because of being surrounded by smokers. I hated it, but so many of my friends smoked. If I had insisted they smoke outside, we would have spent the whole time outside until they didn't come back. Sure they'd say "mind if I smoke" but if you said no, now you were the bad guy not them. It was awful and I don't blame non-smokers a bit for taking back the world and wanting to make sure it never goes back to like it was. If smokers didn't include relatives, friends, guitar players, etc. their fate would be worse.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I agree to an extent. I don't think smoking on airplanes was really a good idea (or healthy) even as I was doing it.

I will say the "separate but equal" solution wasn't bad, though, there was a time where restaurants could have separate smoking sections if they were enclosed, and had a completely separate ventilation system. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Enclosed smoker areas in airports had to employ the same practice... But, even that was enough to fire up the non-smokers.

I will also add (and I'm not trying to be mean) YOU got to choose your friends, YOU got to decide if they smoked in your home and certainly YOU were the one who picked up cigarettes regardless. I've known plenty of folks who've made their home a smoke free zone and I respected it (and was not a bad friend about it, either, going outside isn't hard. If you'd gone WITH them, you wouldn't have had to deal with smoke in the house, etc.

I'm sorry, but people who say they started smoking because of second hand smoke when the claimant openly states that they allowed people to smoke around them because they were to craven to set a boundary, well, take some personal responsibility.

NO one forced me to start smoking. Not the tobacco companies, my friend taught me to inhale but I certainly LET her, and etc. etc.

No offense, but that's something I feel pretty strongly about. I also feel it allowed me to switch to vaping more easily, in the sense of taking personal responsibility for my actions.

Anna

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    Here's a radical idea. I think the more places that allowed vaping, the less colds and other illnesses would get passed around. Since I have been vaping for the past 6 years, not only do I get less colds, but so does my family! I believe that the PG in the air and on surfaces is killing germs. I wish someone would do a study on my theory! Imagine how much cleaner airplanes and cars could be if vaping were encouraged.

Thought you might like to read this recent article about a 1942 study. Am thinking there was another study done in the late 1930's but then WWII happened. 1942 Study: Health Benefits of Inhaled Propylene Glycol

Acer50

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2014
    Duck River Tasmania
    www.facebook.com

Acer50

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2014
    Duck River Tasmania
    www.facebook.com

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
    Adrian MI
    Not really a law that bothers me at all. When I vape I treat it just like smoking, always have. If smoking isn't allowed, I don't vape either.

And lets be honest, we really don't know what the long term effects of vapor is. It just hasn't been around long enough or enough studies done. We know it is better than smoke, but none of us can say it is harmless or good for you. It sounds like a dumb law, but remember we live in a society where we need to have a sticker warning someone not to tip a vending machine on themselves. Heck there are directions on pop tarts, freakin' pop tarts! If you can't figure that out quit breeding, we don't need more of you in our gene pool lol.

Vaping while driving might be considered illegal to begin with due to the distracted driving laws. Your not really supposed to eat or drink while you drive either. Or have a pet jumping around in the car. Normally no one gets a ticket for it though unless they are driving bad or get in a wreck.

And to comment on a few things Anna said. I remember when my doctor smoked during your check up lol. Or the gas station attendant while pumping your gas. Man I miss not having to pump my own gas. One of the things that really urks me is when I see a pregnant woman pumping gas. I normally do it for them if I can. I don't even like it when I see someone dressed up doing it. And on the smoking thing, lets be honest people, 99.9 percent of us started smoking to look cool. Period. Nobody smoked their first cigarette and thought it was awesome. You choked, got light headed and almost threw up and your buddies laughed at you. But you did it again didn't you.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 9, 2015
    Ft. Vape-WKY
    Another sickening yet all too unfortunately typical example of a pernicious Grub-Mint (or Entity thereof) widely overstepping both its Bounds & lawfully defined Mandate committing Elitist Genocide against the Rights of one Group in the name of the Rights of another. When in all actuality, at its core nothing more than a insidious jack-booted Power (or Money)-Grab.
    Never does truly accomplish the supposed Mission or the falsely advertised Solution but,,,
    sure does make the self-entitled, self-righteous, and self-aggrandizing "feel" better and feeds their warped Egos & Perceptions.
    Incrementalist Usurpation at its finest.... Karl & Nikita would be SOOOO Proud ;)

An interesting aside, isn't both odd & abjectly hypocritical that the majority of these Crusades of legislated "Morality" & "Legislative Righteousness" are quite often the main Tactic & Strategy practiced and inflicted by the same "Open-Minded" Group(s) who viscerally attack anyone or anything that conflicts with or crosses their lines of Church/State Separation.

Ol' Yakov Smirnov (sp?) said it best; "What a Country!" :2cool:

90VG

ECF Veteran
    Jan 19, 2016
    5000' in Nevada
    Smoking and drinking on a place is (was) fun. I had a flight from LAX to Shanghai, with stops in Seattle and Bejing. Once we took off from Seattle, smoke time. The flight was pretty empty, maybe 40 people on a 747, but it was fully loaded with alcohol and cigs. I must have drunk 20 beers on that flight and I'm glad they sold cigs, because I quickly ran out. The good ole days. I had a friend that worked for the airline, so drinks were free.

(This was 1996)

You could even smoke in elevators, literally smoke anywhere.

But it would be nice if the gov recognized the difference between vaping and smoking. I'm a typical non-smoker now, I hate the smell of it, unless it's a freshly lit cig, then I don't mind the smoke off the tip. But standing around in the smokers section, coming home smelling like crap, ugh.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Government can make any rules they want for their own property (short of civil rights violations). They don't need to be deciding vape rules for the property of others. They know what they are not protecting anybody's health. (I told people before the election, I'm voting for Trump because if I have to be miserable I want company.)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Personally, I don't think it is all that radical. Back when I was smoking I used to get a cold every 3 months or so. I haven't had one since then. Whatever the reason, I'm good with it. I did and still do wash hands frequently to help prevent colds but never seemed to work back when I was smoking.

Who knows might not be the PG but might be that your fingers come in contact with lips and filter when smoking but don't with vaping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread