Horrid ny times e-liquid article!

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious8

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
San Anselmo, CA, USA
This is a horrible & extremist article in today's NY Times! Here's just the beginning: "These “e-liquids,” the key ingredients in e-cigarettes, are powerful neurotoxins. Tiny amounts, whether ingested or absorbed through the skin, can cause vomiting and seizures and even be lethal. A teaspoon of even highly diluted e-liquid can kill a small child." Here's the link to the full story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/b...0140324&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=53545873&_r=0

We all need to bombard the NY Times with responses RIGHT AWAY!

Hope some senior members read my post and start some sort of campaign.

Fingers crossed things change soon, for the better, on the anti-ecig front! I'm ecstatic to not be smoking for almost a year - don't know what I'd do if they made e-liquids illegal, sigh ...:ohmy:

• Deleted by retired1

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
S#!t like this really gets on my nerves.

A spoon of eliquid can kill a small child, hmm i'm pretty sure that there's a lot more LEGAL & UNREGULATED chemicals, medicines and other things in the average home far more dangerous to consume then an eliquid. Unlike eliquid's which will happily state all the ingredients used, many of these companies will not even list the most volatile ingredients and their quantities as they are 'trade secrets'.

Anyone who vapes will know Eliquids come with a child-safety cap like much of the over the counter medicines and other chemicals - If someone comes to harm from ANY harmful product in our home, that's due to negligence and carelessness from the parents and nothing more IMO.

Propaganda like this will stop only when the Government finalize how much they are going to extort - sorry i mean 'tax' ecigs and liquids. After that, they will sing their praises. If only the masses weren't so fickle and wisened up to the tricks pulled by these puppeteers - i mean the media, we would live in a much better world.

The UK Government alone would lose about £12bn of annual income from cigarettes if all smokers switched to vaping, whilst the NHS costs from cigarettes is only about £7bn - so they will be £5bn out of pocket each year, and they aren't going to allow that are they...

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Ok so i agree that this article is biased. It wouldn't be much of a story if there wasn't an element of danger. But... It's pretty much factual. Try reading it again from the point of view of an editor and it appears to be a filler story. It doesn't say anything that an average Joe wouldn't know anyway. Nicotine is a poison (along with a million other substances) and must be used with caution. That's it.
It is only a story of note if people make it in to one.
Next week it will be 'alcohol is not good for the liver' or some other piece of non-news.

Jim32244

Verified Member
Mar 22, 2014
United States
Only thing I agree with is someone is going to get hurt with nicotine. I have been reading alot about DIY ejuices and how dangerous 100mg nicotine is. I decided to start watching some videos and I was surprised at how careless some people are with it. Totaly different fromt he board reading. I think maybe I saw one video with someone wearing gloves.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
personally I would really just know the long terms effects, if any, of the e-liquids. I quit smoking after 22 years and started with e-cigs just a week ago...and I like it!i would be screwed up if somebody find the liquids are really toxic....but....is it so really difficult to find it out?
Ask me in 20 years and I'll give you a definitive answer. 37 years of smoking made me feel like crap, 3 years of vaping has me feeling like a teenager. The body doesn't lie.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
If the regulators, banners cannot tag nicotine with being the most horrible substance known to mankind, they will have lost any argument for crushing e-cigs.

Re: Nicotine, when in doubt resort to actual science....:)
How much nicotine kills a human? Tracing back the generally accepted lethal dose to dubious self-experiments in the nineteenth century - Springer

The lethal dose of pure nicotine is also difficult to determine, because it easily decomposes a bit and, on the other hand, mostly contains more or less water; however, in accordance with the severe symptoms evoked in several experimenters by 0.002–0.004 g it is certainly not going to be higher than 0.06 g.

It is beyond any doubt that this short, not particularly convincing paragraph represents the genuine origin of the lethal nicotine dose we still refer to more than 100 years later.

The OMG news articles and posts are relying on nicotine studies done in the 1800's (this even includes the CDC)

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I love it when an article like this gets posted and we get all indignant and self-righteous in our offense.

Was the article a hit piece?
YES

Did it give any false information?
NOT REALLY.

Is this false?
But less serious cases have led to a surge in calls to poison control centers. Nationwide, the number of cases linked to e-liquids jumped to 1,351 in 2013, a 300 percent increase from 2012, and the number is on pace to double this year, according to information from the National Poison Data System. Of the cases in 2013, 365 were referred to hospitals, triple the previous year’s number.

Examples come from across the country. Last month, a 2-year-old girl in Oklahoma City drank a small bottle of a parent’s nicotine liquid, started vomiting and was rushed to an emergency room.

That case and age group is considered typical. Of the 74 e-cigarette and nicotine poisoning cases called into Minnesota poison control in 2013, 29 involved children age 2 and under. In Oklahoma, all but two of the 25 cases in the first two months of this year involved children age 4 and under.

There are a lot of careless and ignorant smokers out there, and they become careless and ignorant vapers.

A childproof cap does no good if it is not being used. A Child proof cap does no good if the parent transfers the contents to a not child resistant bottle. E-Liquid in a ProTank or other tank is NOT child resistant.

OF COURSE the piece is alarming and fear mongering. States are losing tobacco settlement money and tax revenue from lost tobacco sales by the score.

But lets not throw out the baby with the bath water.

We as vapers SHOULD be responsible in how we handle our e-juice. If we DIY and purchase 10% nicotine concentrate, we better have that stuff locked down.

E-liquid and e-cigs in general should be treated with more respect than we treat smokes. The flavors are not marketed towards children, but children do develop positive or negative feedback.

A stinky nasty cigarette from mommy's mouth.....negative reinforcement.
Vapor that smells like chocolate chip cookies......positive reinforcement.

Does that mean you stop vaping? No... Does that mean we stop making chocolate chip cookie flavored e-juice No...

Does that mean we are especially careful in locking up our e-juice and e-cigs when not in use? YES... Do we also tell little Johnny or little Suzy not to drink said e-juice because it will make them sick? YES

And if they ask why do you vape it???? be prepared with an intelligent and rational response.

Bottom line is that we as vapers are responsibility for our own safety and those around us. Instead of pooh-poohing the risks and rising in righteous anger at hit pieces, maybe we need to make sure we are doing all we can do to make sure we vape as safely as possible.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Last I checked, my old box of Marlboros did not have a child proof flip-top box.

#justsayin'

Exactly..... E-liquid even at 12mg/ml is more concentrated than a box of Marlboros. My point is you treat vaping materials with MORE respect and care than you did your smokes.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
There are thousands of reports of poisoning from kids eating cigarettes and cigarette butts every year. It must be that the cigarette butts are available in bubble gum flavor....:facepalm:

Bad parenting can result in poisonings from a wide variety of substances, being careful with e-liquid is simply one more item to be very careful in handling and storing.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Exactly..... E-liquid even at 12mg/ml is more concentrated than a box of Marlboros. My point is you treat vaping materials with MORE respect and care than you did your smokes.

One cigarette (unsmoked) contains more than 12 mg of nicotine, it's why they are so dangerous for small children.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
There are thousands of reports of poisoning from kids eating cigarettes and cigarette butts every year. It must be that the cigarette butts are available in bubble gum flavor....:facepalm:

Bad parenting can result in poisonings from a wide variety of substances, being careful with e-liquid is simply one more item to be very careful in handling and storing.

One cigarette (unsmoked) contains more than 12 mg of nicotine, it's why they are so dangerous for small children.

True in both accounts. I'm just saying that we should not be so angered at the context that we dismiss the contents. Vapers should treat their liquids AND batteries with the respect they deserve....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread