Hot Vapor Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TROOPIN

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago,Il
So I just got my REO Mini 2.1 with my RM2 in the mail..needless to say very excited to try this coming from an ego with a ce4.. so I put it all together with doubled over 3mm silica and 30ga. used 5 wraps and started to vape. The juice I used is what I have been using which is 24mg menthol from V2 ecig been using it for months now first with a V2skinny battery then with the bigger ego. The vapor seems very warm almost hot and the throat hit is crazy hard. I don't have an ohm meter so not sure what that is running at just went by Robs video that's how I came up with making my RM2. Is the vapor always going to be that hot and the throat hit that hard or is there a way to adjust that? The juice is 100 percent PG I believe. I really like the taste of this juice but the throat hit actually makes me cough. Any ideas. maybe a lower nic level?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Lots of folks lower their nic level with first encounter of RM2/REO. For throat hit alone; however, there's a few other things to try first. One is that PG is said to provide more TH, so a 50/50 mix (vg/pg) may serve you well. Another thing is air flow. If you SLIGHTLY enlarge your air hole, you will immediately find a gentler vape. (slightly means, your hole is at about 1.15mm . . .. . 1.2 or 1.3mm would be a good place to start). 1/16" drill bit is crazy-way bigger. Don't start with a 1/16" drill bit (although some folks do end up there). If you don't have drill bits, reaming the hole out works well. Push an awl, corkscrew, safety pin in there and push and wiggle A BIT. Try it . . .. . do some more . .. . etc. Lastly, coil position relates to airflow. The lower your coil, the less TH you will get. When air strikes the coil on it's bottom (coil position high), you get acidic flavors and TH. When air flows mostly over the top of the coil, you get smooth, if somewhat muted flavor. Centered air flow is, theoretically, a balance of those things.

Last edited:

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
My understanding is that lowering the coil closer to the ceramic base will reduce the throat hit (and improve the flavor). Having said that, you really should use an ohm meter to test the resistance, both to see where you're at so you can adjust, but mainly to avoid shorts which can sag your spring or worse.

Cheaps ones, that work just fine for our purposes, can be had from lots of places for around $5-$10, like this one from Harbor Freight.

ETA: Pdib not only beat me to it, he gave you way more info than I did (as usual), but I'll leave this for the ohm meter link and advice.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
So I just got my REO Mini 2.1 with my RM2 in the mail..needless to say very excited to try this coming from an ego with a ce4.. so I put it all together with doubled over 3mm silica and 30ga. used 5 wraps and started to vape. The juice I used is what I have been using which is 24mg menthol from V2 ecig been using it for months now first with a V2skinny battery then with the bigger ego. The vapor seems very warm almost hot and the throat hit is crazy hard. I don't have an ohm meter so not sure what that is running at just went by Robs video that's how I came up with making my RM2. Is the vapor always going to be that hot and the throat hit that hard or is there a way to adjust that? The juice is 100 percent PG I believe. I really like the taste of this juice but the throat hit actually makes me cough. Any ideas. maybe a lower nic level?

You didn't ohm the coil. So you really don't know what ohm you are running. You might try making a coil with a few more wraps.

Also make sure you have that wick soaked! It takes a couple of minutes to let that juice soak all the way in.

It does not have to hit that hot or with so much throat hit. Your PG will give you more throat hit than VG but should be fine with the right ohm coil.

TROOPIN

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago,Il
Ok so I don't want to start opening the air hole just yet.. May end up ruining it for future use.. That said lowering the coil did help. The flavor changed dramatically in my opinion. Heat also seemed to be much better.. I think it was the throat hit and not the heat now that I lowered it. Next question is can the coil be too low? where it hurts the RM2? And what is the benifit to a microcoil vs a more normal one like Rob shows in his tutorial? Thanks for all the help and quick replies

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Ok so I don't want to start opening the air hole just yet.. May end up ruining it for future use.. That said lowering the coil did help. The flavor changed dramatically in my opinion. Heat also seemed to be much better.. I think it was the throat hit and not the heat now that I lowered it. Next question is can the coil be too low? where it hurts the RM2? And what is the benifit to a microcoil vs a more normal one like Rob shows in his tutorial? Thanks for all the help and quick replies

Micro coils produce a ton of vapor and many people report that the flavor is off the chain with a micro. They heat up quick and also increase heat and TH. A properly built micro coil will perform equal to or better than a loose, big ( old school) coil of roughly 1/2 the resistance. Meaning a 2 ohm micro should perform something like a 1 ohm old school.

That said, the tips in the posts above will address all your concerns with your current setup. The big advantage to micros is that they don't gunk up as much and you leave the coil in place and simply replace the wick when it needs it. I run sterile USP rolled cotton for wick.

Wrap yourself a 2 ohm micro coil, about 10 wraps around a 1/16" drill bit wick it with some cotton and place it close to the deck. Vape thru the first 5-8 cottony metallic hits then sit back and bask in excellence :)

Last edited:

TROOPIN

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago,Il
Thanks Super_x I think my issue is with my juice being all pg and 24mg nic. I can't find a vape store close to try new ones so am gonna have to order anyone have an opinion on joye juice? a friend says there is a place not too far that sells it? However do I need to be concerned if I have the coil too low against the ceramic?

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
The coil won't hurt the ceramic but you really don't want it sitting all the way down and touching. Play with the height of the coil to adjust to what feels good and don't worry about the ceramic. What kind of flavors do you like?

BTW, there are a lot of good vids on here that show how and where to place the coil/wick. I just can't remember what threads they are in.....or even what happened 5 minutes ago. :?:

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here's mine: I am not a TH fan :)
y5aseteb.jpg

TROOPIN

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago,Il
Well so far I have tried only carto and they were expresso liked that but then tried other brands didnt like, cola didnt like, menthol liked only this brand others seemed minty not mentholy, strawberry was just ok, I wish I had a place close to try different kinds. I think I am still mentally on the analog mind set and trying to replace that. Nice set up Super. I need to find a vg I like i think

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Dude, You definitely need a multimeter or some way to check your resistance but more importantly check for a short, a short will trip your hot spring and make the Reo useless until you replace the spring with a new one.

Once you know your resistance you can adjust your coil wraps so that its just how you like your vape to be.

I would definitely try a 18mg juice with more Vg in it, maybe a 50/50 pg/vg mix. There's several vape shops in Chicago, but you could also try ordering online from some different vendors, If you're looking for inexpensive try Mt. baker vapor they're pretty cheap and ok quality their menthols are pretty strong too.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Thanks Super_x I think my issue is with my juice being all pg and 24mg nic. I can't find a vape store close to try new ones so am gonna have to order anyone have an opinion on joye juice? a friend says there is a place not too far that sells it? However do I need to be concerned if I have the coil too low against the ceramic?

I would get some plain VG and add 1/2 to 1 that will bring you down to 18mg and give you 33% VG
Or should it be worded 1:2 ...... err like grab 4ml of you juice and add 2ml of VG ..... there :)
It will diminish the flavor a bit but the REO will likely make up for that.
VG is dirt cheap.

TROOPIN

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago,Il
That sounds like an idea.. as for the vape shops in chicago the closest one is 45 min away with traffic in chicago it is more like an hour each way the closest place only sells thier brand and joye thats why I was asking about that juice. I will fuss around with it.. the menthol I have lots of really tastes different in the reo that is for sure

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
That sounds like an idea.. as for the vape shops in chicago the closest one is 45 min away with traffic in chicago it is more like an hour each way the closest place only sells thier brand and joye thats why I was asking about that juice. I will fuss around with it.. the menthol I have lots of really tastes different in the reo that is for sure

You can pick up some VG at Walmart. Look in the pharmacy section. Other pharmacys might have it also. Just ask.

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
What they all said...

Before you do something about nic level or VG vs. PG the logical thing to do is find out what ohm level you prefer your builds at. I like mine roughly at 1.0ohm, but that would be too hot for some and not hot enough for others.

I use cotton and it also absorbs heat, so your wicking material and placement matters as well as your coil build and ohm reading as to how hot it's actually going to be.

For example; I could wrap a wire that reads exactly 1.0ohm just like I want, but if I thread a wick in it to where the cotton isn't touching any of the coils it's going to be too hot for my taste and even scorch my tongue. :evil:

So to repeat what others have said; forget the PG vs. VG or nicotine right now and concentrate on getting some device to read the ohms of your builds and then you will know what you prefer as far as heat/coolness of vapor.

Hope this helps,

Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread