House of Hybrids featuring the Zenesis PV - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Up north
Here's what I found regarding the site-wide thread issues, submitted without comment so I don't get my @$$ banned:

Hey all, this was an update that took place last night. I'm not sure what happened, but it looks as if it was set to 'live' before it had been configured properly.

Our intention is to have the splitter split the threads when they reach 5000 posts. When configured properly it will credit the original poster, and have links to the old thread from the new thread, and new threads from the old.

The reasoning here is that there is some evidence that very large threads are causing database issues and adding to the overall server load - causing slowdowns at busy periods. This is the first of 3 changes we are going to be making over the next 3 weeks to improve the load speed for everyone.

I'm sorry this happened before an announcement was made.

As part of our programme to improve pageload speed we decided to try all avenues even if in theory there should be no benefit. I completely agree that splitting long threads, in theory, has no possible benefit. This is obvious when you know how it all works. However theory does not always transfer into practice and therefore I am always open to ideas that in theory cannot work - we will still try them. It's just possible that for some reason there might be an effect - even if it all depends, in the end, on a user's PC.

We normally try anything risky on a test server but sometimes for one reason or another we use it live. It might also be a good idea to see if it actually works for anyone before we decide to see if it gets left on. You have to test it live to find that out. Already we have numerous reports that it has magically speeded-up pageload times on long threads - so there you go! :)

Before the thread splitter goes back on, many of its settings probably need changing. For example the 'Guest' name is not satisfactory and it needs an explanation. I also don't like the way the original post gets to be the first post again in each part - the second post is good enough to be the new second-part starter (with a little adjustment).

Mark - it was set at 500 last night. It's off now and we're discussing what we are going to do going forward.

Thanks for your suggestions...

SJ

Hmm...

The thread splitter will most likely go back on, because some people said they had an improvement - and that is all we are trying to do. Also, no one has come in and said, "This has wrecked my threads/forum/life". We will wait, though, to see if there are any negative issues that have to be addressed. We need to look at several split threads in different locations and see what the result is.

However there are all sorts of issues with it that we can see, now it's been trialled:

- Exactly what figure to set it at. If indeed it works at all (about which there will always be arguments no matter what happens), setting it too high would be a waste of time, and setting it too low will cause too much disruption. It looks as if 2,000 might be a good compromise number: 200 pages of default thread size. No one will be inconvenienced if a thread is split into 200-page parts.

- The name of the 'splitter admin' or whoever it is the makes the first post in the new part is 'Guest', and that's not too good :) It needs another ID.

- The first post in the subsequent parts is currently the first post in the thread, and I don't think this is a great idea. It could be left off, and just have the: 'This is Part 2, here is the link to Part 1' post - this would be enough. This will require a re-code but it shouldn't be too hard to fix this.

There is some fixing to do before it goes back on for trial #2. Then the fun will start.

Highlighting is mine

- Tim

Mr. P

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Ga.
If you go in and read the continuation thread smokeyjoe said that it was an accident. ECF was looking at limiting threads to 5,000 posts then they would be continued.

Some ECF members have been complaining that loading pages was taking too long due to the size of the threads but the continuations were not supposed to take affect yet.

Mr. P

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Ga.
Do to the BIG fiasco over serial numbers and out of respect to Zen and the great products that he creates I changed my serial number in my signature.

I am also reaching out to all Zenfidels to do the same if you have your number posted. :)

Edit: ob,,,,,please delete the serial # thread in the groups.

Last edited:

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
If you go in and read the continuation thread smokeyjoe said that it was an accident. ECF was looking at limiting threads to 5,000 posts then they would be continued.

Some ECF members have been complaining that loading pages was taking too long due to the size of the threads but the continuations were not supposed to take affect yet.

According to Kalimero and Trench, the long threads are a non-issue. They aren't what's causing the problems of slow page loads. I was having the problem myself and emptied my cache and restarted my laptop and a few minutes later it was fine. I've had no problem since.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/site-feedback-help/293315-continuation-threads-2.html

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
Do to the BIG fiasco over serial numbers and out of respect to Zen and the great products that he creates I changed my serial number in my signature.

I am also reaching out to all Zenfidels to do the same if you have your number posted. :)

Edit: ob,,,,,please delete the serial # thread in the groups.

BRILLIANT idea...DONE! :)

ian74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
changed my sig, which I was going to do last night. now it looks like a mess :) check it out!

I will delete that if zen wants me to. I will wait for him to get back to me.

Wow, when I get mine, I'll trade you my BAM #? for your Bam#?! And then I'll have BAM #? and you'll have BAM#?!!!!! How cool would that be!? I like your new sig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread