How Did You Start Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ...off the analogs for years!
A post by jjrose on another thread got me thinking....how did you start vaping?

I was reading Rolling Stone and there was a picture and small caption of Leonardo DiCaprio riding a bike vaping. I'd never heard of it but it piqued my interest. I googled it, ended up here after a few false starts, bought a 901 and never looked back.

So thanks Leo and RS!

WhatAClumsyGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2009
Mtns of Tennessee
I heard about vaping on a radio show....Got online and researched a bit...ordered a 801 and 901 kit from supplier in china. Started vaping on October 3rd.....totally quit the analogs on October 7th 2009....Thennnnn..i found this place the end of October. Wish i had found this forum before, but i had a good deal on the 801 / 901 kits....so wasnt too bad.

vapinmachine

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
A buddy of mine pulled me aside one day and asked me if I ever tried an electronic cigarette before. I was very skeptical at first, but after I took a drag of his Janty Dura-C I was hooked!

However, I wanted one that looked like a cigarette. Bought an Njoy at a gas station, and was dissatisfied so I turned to the blucig, then dissatisfied again so I tried the 801.... Much to my dismay, I was dissatisfied again.

My buddy told me to get a Janty Dura C but I didnt like the way it looked. So then I went for the Janty Stick and broke it a week later (dropped it down the stairs, to this day I'll never use a mod box EVER again)

So after spending craploads of money on e-cigs I gave up on 'em... for a year.. When I came into some extra money I decided to go for the 510 but discovered the eGo and grabbed that instead.

I'm now a very happy vaper :)

sherlynn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2010
IN
About 2 years ago, my step-son sent us a site discussing the e-cigarette. Didn't think much of it at the time. Last Dec, I found out that I was very sick and if I didn't quit smoking it wouldn't be much longer before I had a heart attack...outlook was bad. Had to quit so I tried the patches, gum, chantix a year earlier just to see if it would work, yuk!! My husband remembered the site and it is still there but just has 0 nic cartridges so he did some more investigating and found Red Dragon. Ordered 2 kits and they were crap. He found Totally Wicked and ordered us both the screwdriver mk11. Been smoke free every since :D

blkeyedszn

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2010
USA
A good friend of mine and I had been trying to quit forever. We tried cold turkey, tapering off and even hypnotism. She had heard of e-cigs on the radio and bought a Blu cig. After trying hers I thought I would give that a try. I went online to do some research on e-cigs and led to ECF. I spent an entire day reading and learning everything I could.

That night I ordered a 510 kit and a few different juices to try. I emailed my friend telling her I was so excited to start vaping and just KNEW this was going to do it for me. She told me not to put too much faith into it because it wasn't doing much for her. About 3 days later my 510 arrived in the mail and I have been vaping happily ever since. I never had another cigarette since and I am now coming up on my 6 month anniversary.

I've since tried to get my friend to give vaping another try, telling her she needs to try something new than Blu, but she's convinced that it won't work for her and there's not much I can do to convince her. I think she's feeling a bit burned because she spent a lot on the Blu cig kit. I've been thinking of putting together a 510 kit for her with a selection of juices so that she can give it another try. I just don't want to come off as pushy or holier than though. Her and I have ended up in tears before out of frustration when trying to quit together, so I know how hard it must be for her to see how easy it was for me to quit.

LuckyLulu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Florida
The mall kiosk is good for something!
I heard of the e-cig and was interested but really didn't know much about them. I came across a kiosk in the mall and they let me try it. I told my husband "I think this could work for me"
My husband was going to spend $200+ right then but I said, I think I can do better online! Sooooooooo glad I didn't buy it. I have to give them credit, I only bought my 1st e-cig (joye 510) after I tried it in the mall!

DemonCowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Florida, US
Actually for me it was my friend who had to quit for work because his insurance through his job is going to skyrocket if he doesn't, he's already on the patch but asked me to look up (cause i'm good at doing research and digging up dirt) on those electronic cigarettes. so I did some googling and found offers, then I found this site, i read and soaked up as much as my tiny lil brain could in 1 visit, and even I wanted to try it (not cause i wanted to stop smoking, but because I could use it in more places, it was a toy that i could take apart and modify when/if i wanted, and it at least has the potential to be cheaper than the high priced cigs (i bought tobacco and re-rolled it...lol) though i'm not sure cheaper than the way i used to smoke.

i got my 901 from aqua vapor and it arrived on the 17th i tried it and i had a few cigs but i haven't had 1 in like 4 or 5 days now. now that i was the guinea pig my friend wants his and loads of other ppl around me are going digital now too. (at least 6 others)

so i think i've done most of my part - now to get them to join ECF and my work will b done...lol

vleath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2010
Dallas
I heard of smoke relief on the radio so I ordered their free trial and made note of the "return by date" I had been looking to quit because I smelled like butts, my husband would not let me smoke in the car, I had to hid it from part of my family, my dad can hardly breath and I knew I would be like that one day, I did not want my kids to smell like smoke at school of have an increased odds that they too would become smokers, and since my whole family smokes and my grandma died from complications of lung cancer I wanted to find the holy grail that would make everyone quit. I could list more reasons you know but I think I need to stop there.

My smoke relief kit arrived broken talk about disappointment I went to e cigarette ratings and I thought well smoke tip has a lifetime warrenty and come with 2 batteries. I ordered the tobacco flavor and a variety kit. The vanilla sold me I vaped away and then found this forum unfortunately it has seemed to be a never ending money pit none of the family members except my husband who just decided to quit altogether really even gave it a fair shot. But I have not touched a regular cig since and it allows me to be in the same car with my mom and dad and I dont crave a cig. So I am still a happy camper. Too bad the smoke relief was a rip off with fees and only came with 1 battery their e cigs hit pretty darn good.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
I starting vaping in self defense LOL
I went to see my family up north last summer,planned on being gone for 3 months.
While I was up there my hubby decided to quit smoking, and didn't tell me:blink:
My son finally told me what was going on. He and my DIL suffered mightily
during all of it putting up with hubby,
He choose to use the patch and I will give him credit, he did quit :shock:

When I got home, I had to virtually hide to smoke! I finally found ecigs on the web and ordered a kit, expensive !!! It did the job though, I didnt intend to quit, just be able to smoke at home.

I ended up quitting really by accident. Just realized one day that I had not smoked for 3 days!! AMazing!

Hubby still doesnt like the ecig, well too bad, deal with it ROFL

I think he is just ticked that he suffered so much and I didnt LOL
Poor baby:laugh:

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
My niece was telling me about them when she got her blu, I remembered about it last fall when I got really sick and was having a hard time breathing. I looked them up and came real close to buying a greensmoke, luckily I continued researching them and found ECF and bought a 510. Cig free since 3-1-10!!!

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
I saw an advertisment online and fell for the "free trial offer". About $170 later, I was able to get them to stop billing my credit card...but!...the thing worked! It got me *almost* off cigarettes...and then my 510 sealed the deal. :) I wanted to quit so I could be around for my (at the time) 9 month old daughter a lot longer. 7 months into this...and once in a while I will still have a cigarette. But it taste terrible and then I go a couple of months before I forget and try another one. ;)

Last edited:

firhill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Port Huron MI./Ontario, CA.
I had booked a cruise and was reading the cruise critic forum for do's and dont's when someone had posed the question:

"Can you use an electronic cigarette anywhere on the ship?"

Did some research and ordered a 901 kit. Here's the invoice:

Your Order #100000081 (placed on March 17, 2009)

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
DSE901 USB Charger DSE901-charger-usb 1 $8.76
DSE901 Starter Kit Bundle DSE901-kit-bundle-extreme-liquid-Marlboro-pg-15ml-10mg-DSE901-atomizer-white-DSE901-battery-white-Orange-led-DSE901b-kit-blue-led 1 $66.38
Bottle of Liquid
1 x 15ml PG Marlboro Extreme Liquid 10mg nicotine $8.76 extreme-liquid-Marlboro-pg-15ml-10mg
Additional Atomizer
1 x White DSE901 Atomizer $8.76 DSE901-atomizer-white
Additional Battery
1 x White DSE901 Battery with Orange LED $12.28 DSE901-battery-white-Orange-led
Starter Kit
1 x Black DSE901 Starter Kit w/ Blue LED $43.96 DSE901b-kit-blue-led
DSE901 Blank Cartridges DSE901-cartridge-Brown 1 $3.48

Color
Brown

Subtotal $78.62
Shipping & Handling $5.95
Grand Total $84.57

Thank you again,
Vaporstix

The 901 arrived but I didn't touch it for two weeks until I had used up all the analogs from the 5 carton $90 special I bought on ship.

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
I was at work and I drive a van around during the day. I was listening to a popular DC radio show last fall, Elliot in the Morning, and they had a Virginia e-cig vendor on the show and they were all trying different flavors and saying how good it was. I looked at the vendor's site (I don't even remember who it was now, don't think they're on ECF), did some online research, and ended up here. Bought my 510 from Cignot, like most noobs do, and went from there!

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
Was visiting the the East Coast, shopping in a mall. $250 later I was vaping. Another mall, another $150. Got home, searched the web, found ECF, started a hobby :) Yes, I got ripped off, but it was the best $400 I've ever spent because it led me here and enabled me to quit smoking.

400.00= a car payment
Not smoking for the rest of your life= priceless

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
I was at the Renaissance Faire in one of the clothing booths and overheard someone asking another person what that was, *that* turned out to be a penstyle. I was too shy to ask about it myself, and hadn't, in fact, noticed the discreet vaper, but I looked on as she gave a demonstration and explained a little about it. I was intrigued and started googling as soon as I got home. I researched for 2 weeks, running across the gimmick sites, but luckily also found this forum. I talked to my husband. He thought it was foolish and wouldn't "look right." But eventually my curiosity won out. I vacillate between wanting to quit and not wanting to quit smoking. What I want is to continue smoking without stinking, breathing badly, and all that goes with cigarettes. But I like break, the various nicotine levels, and the flavors, so vaping works really well for me. Over time, he agreed that I should just vape but had no interest himself. After about 6 months of vaping at work and smoking/vaping at home, I got kits for his brother and gf for their birthdays and I asked him if he wanted one. He still seemed ambivalent but I put one together for him and he takes it with him everyday. We like to sit on the couch after the kids got to bed and vape while watching movies or reading the internet. We still smoke, but less and less. The more I read the forums and am around non-smokers, the more I vape and each cigarette leaves me wishing I had just vaped instead.

Bulldog44

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Raleigh NC
I was at a training session at my job, which was to later teach the training session ( geek stuff ) and one of my co-workers was watching a video of vaping in China. I watched it November 2008, and was intrigued. I thought about it some more and it was not nearly as cheap as it is today, and a few months went by and I kept wondering. So I searched on the net and found another forum with only about 5 people in it. Very nice folks. Then I decided I would try it, I thought if it cut my smoking in half then it would be well worth it.

I ordered a 901 ( selection was verrrrrrry limited "back in mah day" ) and it showed up. My intention was to simply reduce my smoking to half by implementing this in place of my boring smokes. So I did in Feb of 2009. The next day I opened up a new pack of smokes, I smoked half. The following day I didn't pick up a cig, just vaped but I kept the pack within striking distance. Last month I threw the pack away, hey I held onto it for sentimental reasons.

I still have a few available, and very nasty and old, packs sitting around, just in case. Have considered at times picking one up ( a new pack or a bummed cig ) but I am a recovering alcoholic/addict anyway so I tend to go with all or nothing on most tasks. ( Also my cartomizers are pretty much spent but the awesome GoodDog said she would send me some so no need to revert, bless her heart ) But haven't smoked an analog since Feb of 2009.

I was/am impressed that my sinuses ( ask anyone in NC about that ) have improved tremendously, along with my breathing, skin, hair, and sense of smell ( I lost it initially after I was hit by a drunk driver, 3 months after I quit alcohol/drugs <18 yrs ago>, irony is a bit** you get the picture:D ) is about 10% there. Now when I cough, there is a reason. I still need to work on getting back healthy though. Being a worry wart I keep waiting to find out these things cause something bad but so far so good.

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
East Central Ind
I had a 25yr smoking habit and was told i HAD to quit. I used ALOT of the nicorete gum for about 4months. The craving for a cig. never left. I wanted 1 all the time-occasioanlly snuck one here and there.
I heard a radio ad for an ecig and got online. At first found volcanoe and ordered one of their disposables. Taste was like an old cigar but it worked. Googled ecigs and found ecf and vaportalk forum. After alot of research ordered a 510 from awesomevapor. From my first hit I have never even wanted an analog again. I have since moved from my 510 to an Ego and yesterday got my first Chuck.
I have been so fortunate to have found ecigs and ecf-I know my life has been extended because of this little invention. Jenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread