Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
So how did you exactly start vaping? A friend, maybe walked into a vape shop? And how did you choose your vaping style(ie, mtl, dtl, nic juice) and devise? Personally , my sister tried vaping (cig a like) and was successful, and although i bought one, wasnt very successful. about 6 months later was doing a job and the customers were vapors, but they were using mech mods & cartos , which really appealed to me!! I then bought a similiar set up and never smoked again. All my purchases were online, as there were no vape shops locally, then found ecf and my vape journey really begun!! Not to many choices back then, as everyone did mtl and hi nic juices. After joining ecf, I was drawn to rebuilding, specifically genesis attys and have been rebuilding ever since...over 7 years smoke free!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was at a Starbucks with a nicotine patch on my arm. A lady stopped at chatted with me about how my quit was going, and she mentioned how she started vaping and was doing great. I thought yeah, yeah, whatever. Few weeks later when the patch wasn’t cutting it and I was climbing the walls, I stopped into a Totally Wicked store and bought my first pen vape. I think I didn’t completely quit cigs for a few months after that, but I did and haven’t had one since. That was 6 years ago or so :)

I was at a Starbucks with a nicotine patch on my arm. A lady stopped at chatted with me about how my quit was going, and she mentioned how she started vaping and was doing great. I thought yeah, yeah, whatever. Few weeks later when the patch wasn’t cutting it and I was climbing the walls, I stopped into a Totally Wicked store and bought my first pen vape. I think I didn’t completely quit cigs for a few months after that, but I did and haven’t had one since. That was 6 years ago or so :)
Just to add, I’ve tried different vape styles over the years... mechs, dripping, etc but am pretty happy with a sub ohm tank set up.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Me, a trip to see my daughter and purchased a Vuse cigalike because I was tired of taking the elevator to the lobby of the hotel to step outside for a smoke. After 4 days away, I hadn't had a single cigarette that trip. That was it, I was a vaper. Took a few months to realize those cartridges were piling up and ordered an ego clearo. Tasted so much better than the Vuse!

Then I found this place, and the buying frenzy really started.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I started by watching too many youtube videos about vaping, then i got tired of the price increasing on my pack of cigs so i just jumped in the vaping wagon.
Started with a simple mtl setup (generic mod i can't remember the name with an Aspire Nautilus 5ml)
Then i wanted more so i jumped again but this time into the sub 0hm stuff with again an Aspire mod with a Fat scylla sv which i still both own.

I moved into rebuildables about 4-5 months into my journey, never looked back since and now a happy owner of a Pulse 80w with a recurve rda. These days i'm more into trying all sorts of eliquids rather than finding a new setup since i absolutely love squonking compared to tanks which i haven't used any in a while now.

Now over a year into vaping and still no intention of quitting since i love all the flavors my vape shop has
(atm my favorite is called Hakuna from twelve monkeys ejuice, there's even a matata flavor to combine the 2 :p)

Hakuna Matata :thumb:

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Do you want to know what kept me from vaping? Teen taken to hospital after vaporizer explosion in car
That happened in my neighbor's driveway. I saw the kid with his mouth and face stained black. After that, anytime someone mentioned that I should try vaping to kick my 27 year habbit, I'd scoff and say no thanks, I don't want it blowing up in my face. Finally at my wits end with fail after fail of kicking cigarettes, I walked into my local vape shop and started my vape degree. :) I feel so silly now that I've missed out on vaping for 2 years because of one negative situation that I witnessed. Now that I'm a little more educated on the subject I now know that what he described to me as a tube, was actually a mech that he had no business having.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I was in the smoke shop to get another pack of cigs, but the checkout line as too long. I went over to their small vape area to just look at the stuff. I was a bit curious about the whole thing anyway, my neighbor had been vaping for a few months already, and I had been researching the whole idea. The store manager sold me a 650 mAh eGo/CE4 startup kit. I MTL'ed at the time (that as all that thing could do anyway) and 4 years later I still MTL, with my Provari or iStick box or a mech, topped usually with an RTA or sometimes a clearo. Whatever atty I'm using is in the high 1 low 2 ohm range, and I usually vape a lightly flavored DIY or on an almost regular occasion just the unflavored base, which is in the mid 20 mg/ml nic 75/25 PG/VG range.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Back during the 2nd half of 2013, I came across a number of articles in the media lamenting the fact that the FDA was ignoring the scourge of e-cigarettes and had not yet regulated them. This got me thinking that maybe there was something to these things and maybe I should try them before the FDA ruined them.

I also had seen a couple of people using them (eGo style devices) at an outdoor gun range. By the time December came, I was curious enough to do a bit of cursory research (which interestingly enough did not land me on ECF) and I ordered an eGo style starter kit from Halo. I did not intend to quit smoking; I was just curious if it could get me to cut back some, and maybe not stink up my office as much.

Well, that kit arrived at my office on a Friday, just before we went to lunch. So I set one of the batteries to charging, and when I got back an hour later, I filled up one of the tanks with their "Turkish" flavor (I was a Camel smoker) and started using it. When quitting time rolled around, I was astonished that I hadn't had a cigarette all afternoon. I would normally have gone through at least half a pack in that time, possibly more. I did have a couple that evening though.

The next day, Saturday, I found ECF. I had four cigs that day instead of my usual 40+. On Sunday I had two. On Monday and Tuesday, I had one each. On Tuesday, there was a snowstorm and we closed the office early. Instead of going home, I drove an hour through the snow storm to what was then the closest B&M, where I bought some Pro Tanks, some bigger "spinner" batteries, and a selection of non-tobacco juices. I've not smoked cigarettes since, except for part of one as a test in the spring of 2014. That test convinced me that I was really, truly done, and I gave away the remaining packs from the last carton I'd bough back in December.

I've been strictly an MTl vaper the whole time. DL didn't really exist 5 years ago and really didn't see any point in going there when it did become a thing. The last time I DL'd anything, I was still in college, and it was smoke from a plant other than tobacco. :oops:

Vicman

ECF Veteran
    Jun 6, 2014
    Chicago
    My brother gave me a cigalike from some oddball company. Think the company was named cig or e cig, not really important. Could not stand it as its tight draw would give me a headache. Put it in my office drawer and forgot about it for a few months. Then one night I was working late and was down to a few smokes and it was raining and I had no car; did not want to walk to the gas station at 2am in the rain. That's when I picked up that thing and charged it and it got me through the night. I picked up a blu starter pack the next day just as a way to maybe save money as smokes are expensive here, and I kind of liked having flavor options. Little did I know that a few months and set ups later, I would no longer be a smoker and have been smoke free since 01/03/2014.

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    I started out with a cig-a-like but since they were unreliable I went back to smoking. That was about 10 years ago.

This past spring I tried a "Cue" pod and it was awful but I stuck with it until finding the Penguin pod. That kinda opened the door for my personal method to mimic my favorite bad habit...cigarettes.

The last couple of years I'd seen clouds rolling out of car windows, lads disappearing behind clouds at bus stops and noticed vape shops popping up like mushrooms in a cow pasture in August. I figured they were wacky-weed smokers who'd learned to get their fix through steam machines.

I knew my brother had vaped on and off for several years. He'd tried explaining it to me talking about sub-ohm's, atty's and other vape lingo. But that Cue got me interested in better so he explained all the ins n outs of his vaping style. He really helped cut the learning curve.

Being a flashlight junkie I knew all the vape industry was really helping accelarate available batteries for flashlights. I even bought some meant for vaping to gain a full output from a very powerful capable Maglite. So when I bought my first modular device I already had batteries from that Maglite.

Anyway I did not consider stopping smoking completely, just cutting way back. Like some, I do both. I vaped a lot at first to remove most cigarettes from my daily intake. As time has passed my smoking is way down and now so is my vaping. Long term goal is to eliminate nicotine intake. For now it's much less and I enjoy a few cigarettes during the day and vaping in the evening.

I work with several former smokers who say they did it exactly like I am. They are all smoke free and vape a few clouds a day. Some are stuck at 12% nic, others are at 1%. Some in between. I started out at 6, went down to 3 after a few days then went back to 6 breifly. My favorite sauce is 6 and I mix it with about 25% of 3% nic most times and other times 50/50.

If I stop smoking completely I'll probably vape some, but won't go from one addiction to another. If I don't stop smoking completely any time soon I know that when 2018 began I smoked in a day about what I smoke in a week now. And each day I say "no" to cigarettes a little more. I may stop completely, I may not. But at least I have much better control over tobacco with a vape device helping along the way. In June of this year that was not the case.

(Please: no "up your nic" or any of that. I got this.)

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Do you want to know what kept me from vaping? Teen taken to hospital after vaporizer explosion in car
    That happened in my neighbor's driveway. I saw the kid with his mouth and face stained black. After that, anytime someone mentioned that I should try vaping to kick my 27 year habbit, I'd scoff and say no thanks, I don't want it blowing up in my face. Finally at my wits end with fail after fail of kicking cigarettes, I walked into my local vape shop and started my vape degree. :) I feel so silly now that I've missed out on vaping for 2 years because of one negative situation that I witnessed. Now that I'm a little more educated on the subject I now know that what he described to me as a tube, was actually a mech that he had no business having.
    Wow, I have heard of those accidents, but to actually witness one and not vape and then vape, is quite the story...glad your here

VapourFlavour

Moved On
    Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow, I have heard of those accidents, but to actually witness one and not vape and then vape, is quite the story...glad your here

Thank you for the welcome, there are some very knowledgeable people on here like yourself and I always appreciate the share of knowledge.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Back during the 2nd half of 2013, I came across a number of articles in the media lamenting the fact that the FDA was ignoring the scourge of e-cigarettes and had not yet regulated them. This got me thinking that maybe there was something to these things and maybe I should try them before the FDA ruined them.

I also had seen a couple of people using them (eGo style devices) at an outdoor gun range. By the time December came, I was curious enough to do a bit of cursory research (which interestingly enough did not land me on ECF) and I ordered an eGo style starter kit from Halo. I did not intend to quit smoking; I was just curious if it could get me to cut back some, and maybe not stink up my office as much.

Well, that kit arrived at my office on a Friday, just before we went to lunch. So I set one of the batteries to charging, and when I got back an hour later, I filled up one of the tanks with their "Turkish" flavor (I was a Camel smoker) and started using it. When quitting time rolled around, I was astonished that I hadn't had a cigarette all afternoon. I would normally have gone through at least half a pack in that time, possibly more. I did have a couple that evening though.

The next day, Saturday, I found ECF. I had four cigs that day instead of my usual 40+. On Sunday I had two. On Monday and Tuesday, I had one each. On Tuesday, there was a snowstorm and we closed the office early. Instead of going home, I drove an hour through the snow storm to what was then the closest B&M, where I bought some Pro Tanks, some bigger "spinner" batteries, and a selection of non-tobacco juices. I've not smoked cigarettes since, except for part of one as a test in the spring of 2014. That test convinced me that I was really, truly done, and I gave away the remaining packs from the last carton I'd bough back in December.

I've been strictly an MTl vaper the whole time. DL didn't really exist 5 years ago and really didn't see any point in going there when it did become a thing. The last time I DL'd anything, I was still in college, and it was smoke from a plant other than tobacco. :oops:
    Very cool [emoji41]

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I started out with a cig-a-like but since they were unreliable I went back to smoking. That was about 10 years ago.

This past spring I tried a "Cue" pod and it was awful but I stuck with it until finding the Penguin pod. That kinda opened the door for my personal method to mimic my favorite bad habit...cigarettes.

The last couple of years I'd seen clouds rolling out of car windows, lads disappearing behind clouds at bus stops and noticed vape shops popping up like mushrooms in a cow pasture in August. I figured they were wacky-weed smokers who'd learned to get their fix through steam machines.

I knew my brother had vaped on and off for several years. He'd tried explaining it to me talking about sub-ohm's, atty's and other vape lingo. But that Cue got me interested in better so he explained all the ins n outs of his vaping style. He really helped cut the learning curve.

Being a flashlight junkie I knew all the vape industry was really helping accelarate available batteries for flashlights. I even bought some meant for vaping to gain a full output from a very powerful capable Maglite. So when I bought my first modular device I already had batteries from that Maglite.

Anyway I did not consider stopping smoking completely, just cutting way back. Like some, I do both. I vaped a lot at first to remove most cigarettes from my daily intake. As time has passed my smoking is way down and now so is my vaping. Long term goal is to eliminate nicotine intake. For now it's much less and I enjoy a few cigarettes during the day and vaping in the evening.

I work with several former smokers who say they did it exactly like I am. They are all smoke free and vape a few clouds a day. Some are stuck at 12% nic, others are at 1%. Some in between. I started out at 6, went down to 3 after a few days then went back to 6 breifly. My favorite sauce is 6 and I mix it with about 25% of 3% nic most times and other times 50/50.

If I stop smoking completely I'll probably vape some, but won't go from one addiction to another. If I don't stop smoking completely any time soon I know that when 2018 began I smoked in a day about what I smoke in a week now. And each day I say "no" to cigarettes a little more. I may stop completely, I may not. But at least I have much better control over tobacco with a vape device helping along the way. In June of this year that was not the case.

(Please: no "up your nic" or any of that. I got this.)
    I understand and it's great your at least slowing the cigs down, but there is alot to say about replacing one addiction with another and that is with smoking, it's way way worse. ..at least with vaping, there is no burning and that is what kills.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I was looking to buy those cheap native American cigs online but they were just starting to ban them. I guess I got google-happy and ended up here.
    I had heard of them on a motorcycle forum that I frequented and everyone was saying how much they s*cked. And they probably did back in 09. But it stuck in my head. And hey, outside of wrenching bikes we were all just idiots so I paid their opinion no mind.
    Glad I waited till good egos and cartos were being used mostly. My starter kit had $10 disposable atties included that didn't last. Wasn't sure it was going to be cost effective. Can you imagine paying $10 for a tank coil?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread