How do I report a site that sold vape equipment to a minor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I don't know if I would go that far but we have lost something. As I said I am older back when I was a kid it was a lot simpler life for most people. No electronics no cameras everywhere, no cell phones or internet. You went to the movies or watched TV with the family. Most people had a phone in the house but not much used. If it rang,you knew something must be wrong or someone died or something.
That is so true --, especially about the phones. Most of my adult life has been spent in the hospitality industry and I have worked irregular hours and my phone rings to this day at all hours so it does not alarm me at all when my phone rings. Not one bit. I've had people at my house fairly late in the evening (or early am) and the phone rings and most everyone except me is nervous. As a kid if the phone rang after 10:30 p.m. - someone either died or was in the hospital.

Stanton Cree

May 11, 2018
I recently found out that my nephew was buying vape equipment covertly from VapeNW. He's fifteen. I found out because a package from the company arrived at his family's house while I was housesitting. I knew it was his because no one in the family uses tobacco, and I'd heard scuttlebutt a few days before about his mother finding vape equipment in his room. I confronted him, told him I was returning the package, and keep it between us. (He's a good kid and has never gotten into trouble.)

Problem is, I now find I cannot get in touch with VapeNW. I've sent emails with no response. I've left phone messages that aren't returned. I've tried calling during their supposed business hours, to find the phone doesn't connect and all I get is loud music with no message or indication that anyone is answering. They seem to be uninterested in actually communicating with their customers.

Has anyone else had trouble with contacting this company? I'm going to keep trying, but if they continue to stonewall me, I'm going to have to escalate this. Any ideas on how to get through to these people? Should I call law enforcement, or is there some other avenue I should take first?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

call your local law enforcement. if you live in a city where they wont help, call the ATF

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I'm a little late to this convo but my son is fifteen and he has a debit card linked to his bank account that he uses to make online purchases all the time (not vape stuff). In fact, I don't even have a credit card, only a debit card. My son has had his card for at least 2 years, possibly 3. You don't have to be 18 or use a credit card to buy stuff online, just a card linked to an account in your name.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'm a little late to this convo but my son is fifteen and he has a debit card linked to his bank account that he uses to make online purchases all the time (not vape stuff). In fact, I don't even have a credit card, only a debit card. My son has had his card for at least 2 years, possibly 3. You don't have to be 18 or use a credit card to buy stuff online, just a card linked to an account in your name.
    Right, but if the vendor is using age verification, it will check databases that will show age, address etc.
    This explains the process:
    https://agechecker.net/
    Heck, doing a google search for myself shows my age, address, where I've lived before, who my relatives are...

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    call your local law enforcement. if you live in a city where they wont help, call the ATF
    ZYJh90K.jpg

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
    Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    Right, but if the vendor is using age verification, it will check databases that will show age, address etc.
    Heck, doing a google search for myself shows my age, address, where I've lived before, who my relatives are...
    That makes sense, I guess. My kid has never attempted to purchase something he wasn't old enough to buy (that I know if, haha), so yeah. But just wanted to address the people shocked that a kid the age of 15 could have a means to pay online. Debit card. Bank account. And if the vendor isn't using the appropriate checkers for age-verification, that's a problem.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
    Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    Also - I think most of this stuff is automated. I sincerely doubt that any vendor is taking the time to Google every single person who makes a purchase. I think they think they're weak warnings that they show on their websites have them covered legally (it may have - what do I know).

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Also - I think most of this stuff is automated. I sincerely doubt that any vendor is taking the time to Google every single person who makes a purchase. I think they think they're weak warnings that they show on their websites have them covered legally (it may have - what do I know).

I think now you do need real verification. Of course if you're buying with a prepaid card you can easily use a parent's name or an of age friend's name.
    It's not that the owners Google, it's that the age verification service uses the same things the people finders do. I don't think the owner searching would be considered real verification, they have to pay someone.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
    Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    I think now you do need real verification. Of course if you're buying with a prepaid card you can easily use a parent's name or an of age friend's name.
    It's not that the owners Google, it's that the age verification service uses the same things the people finders do. I don't think the owner searching would be considered real verification, they have to pay someone.
    Either way, it's not free. I suppose I haven't thought about it much since I'm (clearly) not underage ;) ... It must get done behind the scenes. .... But, I suppose it's possible that a kid could have access to his/her parent's credit/debit cards (very possible, actually). But still, it would have to be delivered the person whose name is on the card (right?). Maybe they're not home when he is and can accept deliveries. ...At the end of the day, maybe mention it to the parents, but seriously - I know some parents would rather their kids vape than smoke. I know I would (not that I encourage it an any way whatsoever!). I doubt I'd call the 'authorities' on the vape company, though I might send an email saying mentioning what I knew as a heads-up, cuz that's not cool (any more than a liquor store selling stuff to underage kids [in fact that's worse, but we all know it happens]).

Heck - where I live, I knew kids in elementary school who smoked weed with their kids, and some who let them throw parties at their house. Not even joking. Lots of parents just don't care.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Delinquent? Maybe. But "deviant"?

I bet more than half the people here were smoking at age 15. ;)
    True, but we, at 15, were not a threat to the tobacco companies the same way underage vapers are to the industry we are trying so hard to protect.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    The only real way to identify would be to ship it with adult signature required but that would also require the carrier to actually check

That's getting into the "but it's not a ban" expensive PACT shipping requirements that cost you $35 to ship a $3 tin of nasal snuff.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    That's getting into the "but it's not a ban" expensive PACT shipping requirements that cost you $35 to ship a $3 tin of nasal snuff.
    People who load their own ammo have the same problem with primers... You have to order in bulk to make it worthwhile to pay the hazmat shipping fee.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    People who load their own ammo have the same problem with primers... You have to order in bulk to make it worthwhile to pay the hazmat shipping fee.

Same with blackpowder, made it difficult to sell and costly to ship. At least those really are hazmat (and is only $25).
    A tin of nasal snuff has lasted me years. Bulk really isn't an answer.

• Informative
    Reactions: Rossum

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Adult Signature Restricted Delivery
    With this service, your item is delivered only after the addressee or their authorized agent verifies their identity, shows that they’re 21 years of age or older, and signs for it.

Details: Adult Signature Restricted Delivery Details
    Notes
    • Add this service to your qualifying online label purchase.
    • Not available for purchase at Post Office locations.
    Adult Signature Restricted Delivery Details

Cost
    $6.35

Shipping Insurance, Certified Mail &amp Extra Services | USPS

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread