How do you like FA Watermelon, Kiwi, Lychee, Marshmallow, Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Apple is a mild red apple flavor, neither tart nor especially sweet. I got it to add more apple to their Apple Pie flavor. To be honest, I prefer puckery-sour apple or candy-sweet. This one is very natural tasting.

Lychee tastes like the actual fruit, more like a fresh flavor than the stuff in cans floating in syrup. It's mildly sweet and not a very strong flavor (just like the real fruit). I use it to mix with other, stronger fruit flavors. It adds an exotic touch that most people can't ID. People I know love it as a single flavor, but I think it's a little bland for that.

Kiwi is absolutely awesome! Perfect mix of sweet/sour, true flavor, and even the smell is a perfect match for the real thing.

Marshmallow may not be what you're expecting. It's more like European or Mexican marshmallow candies, not the cylinders you put in hot chocolate. It's less sweet and more tangy than that. Tastes nice with hints of fruit flavors and makes a lot of vapor. It's absolutely NOT a toasted taste at all.

I haven't used Watermelon.

I mixed all those at 5% and ended up going down a little on kiwi (3-4%), up a little (to 7% or so) on Apple and Lychee. I really recommend starting at 5%.

I am a HUGE fan of FlavourArt!

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Great, thanks! Do you by chance have TFA Marshmallow (not toasted)? If so, how would you compare it to the FA one?

Yes, I do the TFA, both regular and toasted. Not that I hoard flavors or anything. :blink:
TFA's Marshmallow is less flavorful but sweeter and smoother than FlavourArt's. It takes 2-3 times as much (most TFA flavors are just not as concentrated as FA's). If you're looking for a flavor to blend and sweeten with, or to mix with goopy caramel, you want TFA. If you're looking for the European candy or a sharper, more distinctive taste, or to blend with fruits, go with FA. They are quite different tastes, both useful.

By the way, if you have a major sweet tooth, TFA's Toasted Marshmallow - all by itself - will leave you in a sweet, blissful cloud. I think it can cause cavities. ;-)

Last edited:

qfivenine

Dec 21, 2013
At my place
This is very useful information, thanks a lot. I guess I want the american style marshmallow but am a little bit disappointed with the TFA. It has this very undefined taste for me. I mix around 10%. I am waiting for an order I made with the flavours mentioned above. I think I will start at 5% like you said and go from there. How exactly (I know this will be nearly impossible to describe) is the sharpness coming across on the FA? Is it still sweet marshmallow or something completely different? I am not familiar with the candy I think.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Thanks for asking about Lychee and thanks HIC for the response.
My favorite juice over the last month or two has been Lychee. I love a couple from vendors; Bamskilicious and Activape. They have it down to a well rounded flavor, sweetish, smooth "spot on" juice.

I have been doing DIY fruit flavors for a few months mostly single flavors I like, trying at various %, and then will occasionally mix.

So far my Lychee DIY has gone like this:
TFA needs to be done a quite low %… about 5% and steeped; it tends to be a bit tart; too much throws it way off.
Capella's Sweet Lychee is closest to the vendors at around 9 to 10%

But I can't seem to get the smoothness that the vendors do… I may be imagining it but I think they must use some kind of additive and/or maybe a sweetener.

It kind of bugs me that i can't be happy with my Lychee DIY…lol.

I'll try FA and there's another one or two to try.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
How exactly (I know this will be nearly impossible to describe) is the sharpness coming across on the FA? Is it still sweet marshmallow or something completely different? I am not familiar with the candy I think.

FA's is still in the same general flavor "family". It's less bland, so it stands out more in mixes. If you find that TFA's blends flavors together and makes them sweeter, you'll probably find that FA's separates flavors, adding sweetness as well as a bit of tanginess. I can't describe it any better than that.

If you have access to a European food shop, you could try them. Maybe Cost Plus World Market. Probably made in Italy, Austria, Belgium, or thereabouts. I'd eat those with fruits but wouldn't put them in my hot chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread